Cruising with 4 people on the Joy - 2 balcony cabins vs one 2 bedroom suite? Also, how's Bermuda in October/November?

febtober

I'm seeing some stupid cheap prices on NCL's Bermuda cruise aboard the Joy out of NYC on October 29th for 7 days. If I go, it'd be me, my mother in law, my one year old kid, and my six year old kid.

For roughly the same price we could either get two balcony staterooms, or one "family suite", which is a bit over 500 sq ft and has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a living area. The family suite is an interior room, but it has some goofy "virtual balcony" where one wall is an image of the outside or something. I'm not really knowledgeable about NCL's terminology, but I don't believe this is considered part of the the haven. Either way it'd be my mother in law and the baby in one room, and me and the six year old in the other.

I'm kind of leaning towards the suite, but would like any input. We just got off a Carnival cruise a couple weeks ago where we had two balconies and rarely used them. They weren't really in a great location, though.

Also, how's sailing down to Bermuda in late October/November? The fares are so cheap it makes me think there's something wrong, but from my brief Googling I don't see any red flags. Looks like hurricane season should be mostly over. I know for at least the first and last sea days I'll probably need a light jacket, but that's no big deal.

• Like 1

We have sailed in the family suite and loved it.  The bedrooms are not equal...and with your family grouping it might be a little awkward...  we had a different group:

I had two almost adult teen girls: they shared the small bedroom.  It had its own bathroom, and a twin berth with a bunk above it.  It had its own closet and dresser, and was plenty big for the two of them.

My mother slept on the fold out in the living room:  it was a single fold out, and was pretty comfortable.  One nice thing was there was closet space and drawer space for her in the living room so she could keep her stuff there.  

My husband and I used the master bedroom:  we had a bathroom off our bedroom, but we needed to share that with my mother.

The "virtual balcony" is just a tv screen, but it is nice to give you an idea of weather and time of day...better than just a small tv in an interior.

The room is very spacious...a table big enough for 4 to sit at, and plenty of room to move around unlike a normal interior stateroom.

If you can make the sleeping and bathroom situation work...I would strongly recommend it.

• Like 1

We're going to book 2 balconies (5 adults ... became 4 as one didn't go) on the Joy last minute this April ... to Bermuda, looked at that 2 BR Family Inside w the virtual balcony (split/dual HD screen @ 720p, not 1080i or 2k resolution - upper & lower monitors ... kind of cool)  First, you don't necessary need to be near a major storm, Nor-Easter ... let alone, hurricane or strong gale force wind to run into unexpected rough & high seas and large waves (think 25' to 30' plus for 12 to 18 hours if the captain can't outrun, go around or otherwise avoid the weather systems - instead - going thru the least choppy side or eye of the storm) - so, just be prepared.  We've sailed this route enough times in the last 20 yeas to know, and rushing on her way back to NY with all engines running - hold on & brace ... otherwise, it's a slow & easy, smooth ride on the way out there, usually  

You will NOT and do NOT get any "suite" perks, no priority embarkation and it's nada, same perk & benefits as if you are in a basic balcony - everything "advertised" before has been discontinued & dropped.  But, for 4 passengers - the space is "huge" and comfortable, you gain the living room and its sofa, 3 TV's for 4 of you to share - even the smaller room with a lower & upper (bunk/Pullman that drop down) is bigger than your typical Inside/OV stateroom in one of the ships in the NCL fleet.  The larger bedroom's bath is like the ones in the Club (formerly "mini" suites) with the bathtub & double sink.  Nothing fancy unlike Haven suites, beds were very comfortable with mattress topper added and the sheets/linens were upscale ones.  You can read more & check out some of the pix we took - if you haven't book yet and still plan to go ahead (prices dropped & it was good enough for us - and, it's worth double points, 14 points for 7 nights, bonus gain.  I recommend finding one on Deck 10, 11 or 12, as close to the forward elevator as possible but avoid the 2 portside ones next to that "white" space as it is a big service/steward room with supplies & where they come & go all day/evening - there's a bit of door closing that you can hear.  

Layout is a little different on the opposite side, but practically - no real difference, some will only sleep 5 ... Link is here - questions, feel free to ask  - good luck deciding & enjoy the Joy.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, febtober said:

I'm seeing some stupid cheap prices on NCL's Bermuda cruise aboard the Joy out of NYC on October 29th for 7 days. If I go, it'd be me, my mother in law, my one year old kid, and my six year old kid.

For roughly the same price we could either get two balcony staterooms, or one "family suite", which is a bit over 500 sq ft and has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a living area. The family suite is an interior room, but it has some goofy "virtual balcony" where one wall is an image of the outside or something. I'm not really knowledgeable about NCL's terminology, but I don't believe this is considered part of the the haven. Either way it'd be my mother in law and the baby in one room, and me and the six year old in the other.

I'm kind of leaning towards the suite, but would like any input. We just got off a Carnival cruise a couple weeks ago where we had two balconies and rarely used them. They weren't really in a great location, though.

Also, how's sailing down to Bermuda in late October/November? The fares are so cheap it makes me think there's something wrong, but from my brief Googling I don't see any red flags. Looks like hurricane season should be mostly over. I know for at least the first and last sea days I'll probably need a light jacket, but that's no big deal.

Low to mid seventies daytime/ low to mid sixties at night. No humidity.We’ve generally found almost perfect weather there late October/early November and early to mid April. For us NH folk, the water is still like bath water. Compared to home! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

We're going to book 2 balconies (5 adults ... became 4 as one didn't go) on the Joy last minute this April ... to Bermuda, looked at that 2 BR Family Inside w the virtual balcony (split/dual HD screen @ 720p, not 1080i or 2k resolution - upper & lower monitors ... kind of cool)  First, you don't necessary need to be near a major storm, Nor-Easter ... let alone, hurricane or strong gale force wind to run into unexpected rough & high seas and large waves (think 25' to 30' plus for 12 to 18 hours if the captain can't outrun, go around or otherwise avoid the weather systems - instead - going thru the least choppy side or eye of the storm) - so, just be prepared.  We've sailed this route enough times in the last 20 yeas to know, and rushing on her way back to NY with all engines running - hold on & brace ... otherwise, it's a slow & easy, smooth ride on the way out there, usually  

You will NOT and do NOT get any "suite" perks, no priority embarkation and it's nada, same perk & benefits as if you are in a basic balcony - everything "advertised" before has been discontinued & dropped.  But, for 4 passengers - the space is "huge" and comfortable, you gain the living room and its sofa, 3 TV's for 4 of you to share - even the smaller room with a lower & upper (bunk/Pullman that drop down) is bigger than your typical Inside/OV stateroom in one of the ships in the NCL fleet.  The larger bedroom's bath is like the ones in the Club (formerly "mini" suites) with the bathtub & double sink.  Nothing fancy unlike Haven suites, beds were very comfortable with mattress topper added and the sheets/linens were upscale ones.  You can read more & check out some of the pix we took - if you haven't book yet and still plan to go ahead (prices dropped & it was good enough for us - and, it's worth double points, 14 points for 7 nights, bonus gain.  I recommend finding one on Deck 10, 11 or 12, as close to the forward elevator as possible but avoid the 2 portside ones next to that "white" space as it is a big service/steward room with supplies & where they come & go all day/evening - there's a bit of door closing that you can hear.  

Layout is a little different on the opposite side, but practically - no real difference, some will only sleep 5 ... Link is here - questions, feel free to ask  - good luck deciding & enjoy the Joy.  

was a link to the Joy supposed to be here too?

1 hour ago, planefring1 said:

was a link to the Joy supposed to be here too?

All you have to do is to click on the image shown and it should open - but here's the other way 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2840868-getaway-semi-live-limited-ny-florida-pc-gsc-nassau-3272022

At the bottom of the post - part of the signature link is "Newest Review" and the "Semi-Live Joy to Bermuda ..." pictorial review has all the details ... it's a lengthy & long one.  

On 8/3/2022 at 9:56 PM, mking8288 said:

All you have to do is to click on the image shown and it should open - but here's the other way 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2840868-getaway-semi-live-limited-ny-florida-pc-gsc-nassau-3272022

At the bottom of the post - part of the signature link is "Newest Review" and the "Semi-Live Joy to Bermuda ..." pictorial review has all the details ... it's a lengthy & long one.  

Very interesting thanks.  I like the technical details.  Maybe a dumb question, but I see you use the acronym "GA" frequently - what does that mean?

The 2 bedroom family suite is much larger than 2 balcony cabins and the living room area is a nice place for everyone to gather without having to sit on the beds. I have one booked for Sept. with my 3 grandkids. I look forward to having that master bedroom all to myself!