First Night Specialty Dining

PumpkinPatches

2 hours ago, PumpkinPatches said:

I just pulled up my Medallion app to book a table, and it's trying to charge me the full price.  I just did the online chat with Princess, and the complimentary suite SD reservations can only be made once onboard.

We booked a suite in April, and have two upcoming cruises booked in suites and as soon as they were booked I was able to book our first night specialty dining in the Medallion app.  One is for a cruise in 2024. Try deleting the app and reloading it and see if that changes things.  

Just off Enchanted Princess and we chose Crown Grill for our first night speciality dining. 

Had the filet mignon. TBH it was slightly disappointing - it was good but no better than that. Not the finest piece of meat and it was slightly dry. I have had better at sea.

Edited by techwatcher

I miss the old 10 course tasting menu from Sabatini’s. As a result, I usually opt for the Crown Grill when picking a SD venue. 

I usually opt for SD on Italian night in the MDR, so another reason to opt for the Crown Grill. I’m on the Diamond next month which has Sterling, rather than Crown, but Sterling does not seem to be open at all during my cruise dates. That said, Sterling on the Diamond is just a sectioned off portion of the horizon court, so not the best ambience.

8 hours ago, PumpkinPatches said:

I just pulled up my Medallion app to book a table, and it's trying to charge me the full price.  I just did the online chat with Princess, and the complimentary suite SD reservations can only be made once onboard.

It is a hit and miss on the app.  First 4 suite post covid cruises, I could not make a reservation (while others could).  I could this time.  

Now, my question is....

Was I able to because I was in a suite?

Or...

Did I use a credit from an unknown to make my reservations?  

I should have tried to use the credits to book a night later in the cruise.  But I was so excited to not be charged that I hit the reserve button.  

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It is a hit and miss on the app.  First 4 suite post covid cruises, I could not make a reservation (while others could).  I could this time.  

Now, my question is....

Was I able to because I was in a suite?

Or...

Did I use a credit from an unknown to make my reservations?  

I should have tried to use the credits to book a night later in the cruise.  But I was so excited to not be charged that I hit the reserve button.  

I was able to make our complementary suite specialty dining reservation on the medallion for Diamond Princess Sterling steakhouse, only on the first night. I tried to book it a different night to see if it would work, but it did not.  I have seen others post that they were able to change it to a different night once on board.

• Thanks 1

Grand Princess in April, Sabatini's Sole Picatta was excellent - went back and had it again and we were able to walk in and get a table. We do terribly miss Sabi's Manicotti and the artichoke cheese souffle.

We might do CG in Alaska if they are serving locally sourced Salmon and Oysters.

27 minutes ago, Papa Yoda said:

Grand Princess in April, Sabatini's Sole Picatta was excellent - went back and had it again and we were able to walk in and get a table. We do terribly miss Sabi's Manicotti and the artichoke cheese souffle.

We might do CG in Alaska if they are serving locally sourced Salmon and Oysters.

The sole was very good.  I’ve never seen salmon nor oysters at the Crown Grill.  

1 hour ago, donswife said:

I was able to make our complementary suite specialty dining reservation on the medallion for Diamond Princess Sterling steakhouse, only on the first night. I tried to book it a different night to see if it would work, but it did not.  I have seen others post that they were able to change it to a different night once on board.

Was your suite first night “complimentary” or there was $58 credit?  Mine showed a credit.  That confused me.  Not first time in a suite, but first time being able to make reservations before boarding.  Thanks. 

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Was your suite first night “complimentary” or there was $58 credit?  Mine showed a credit.  That confused me.  Not first time in a suite, but first time being able to make reservations before boarding.  Thanks. 

I booked it a while ago,  but I think on the payment screen it showed the $58 credit,  so zero balance. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 11:03 AM, NavyVeteran said:

Look at the menus for both here.

Are these up to date? Also, is the Sterling menu the same as Crown Grill? I know the ambiance won't be the same since it's up in the Lido but the Crown Grill menu looks better (scallops & key lime pie!) than Sabatini's

We have tried both, once.

I think it comes down to the particular staff (perhaps front, and back) as well as preferences and knowing how and what to order.

Our experience at CG was just okay....  I would say that based on both the front staff and service, and the food.  However, I imagine that if we had ordered better, we would have been more impressed with the food.  I did do the lobster tail with my steak...  And, believe me, I should have just sent that thing back.  I do not recommend the lobster/seafood at CG.  I would recommend going for the steak or chops, and ordering the best selection on the menu.  Not just the filet.

Our experience was better at Sabatini's.  I think there may be some truth to the fact that Sabatini's is less busy.  The staff there were excellent.  Due to the Italian influence and staff on Princess ships... it almost seemed like we were in Italy with the staff there and how they interacted.   (of course, that was our one unique experience, and might not be indicative at all)

The food was good, and did seem to be 'Italian'.

I am not sure how much it might have been adjusted to be more mass-market?  But, a lot of seemed fairly authentic.  Again, I think that knowing what and how to order really affects the experience.  Some dishes are known to be very good, and some maybe not so much.  I wish I had known more about the specialty drinks and desserts!

2 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Are these up to date? Also, is the Sterling menu the same as Crown Grill? I know the ambiance won't be the same since it's up in the Lido but the Crown Grill menu looks better (scallops & key lime pie!) than Sabatini's

I haven't cruised on Princess yet since before the pandemic, so I don't know personally. The link I provided was to what is currently posted on the Princess website. I certainly can't guarantee that the Princess website is up to date with what's on the ships.

3 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Crown Grill Menu is up to date.  My standards are:

Tiger Prawn

Black and Blue Onion soup

Lamb Chops (used to order Spencer Steak.  Others have said the fillet is great.  Would not order the lobster)

Cheesecake (I'm not a cheesecake person but like the others even less)

They did away with the absolutely wonderful sampler with some kind of Lemon Meringue.