Ravenna.

chromered7

What has been the experience of my fellow cruisers in relation to getting from Ravenna to Venice airport? There was some talk of coach’s being provided by Celebrity, private transfer and using the train. Any help or advice would be welcome.

I purchased a Celebrity-provided transfer the other direction, VCE to pier, for $45.  They'll have them from the pier to VCE and also the pier to Venice ($50).  If you aren't able to purchase in advance, you can buy at guest services once you're aboard.  

• Like 1

We were on Royal Caribbean in May from Ravenna, first day on the cruise they had a flyer in our cabin asking what our travel options were at the end of the cruise and offered transport to Venice and Bologna. We booked the bus with them and it worked no problem, got on the bus in front of the ship and dropped us off in the car park of Venice airport in about 2.5hrs

Edited by Phils01

1 hour ago, Phils01 said:

We were on Royal Caribbean in May from Ravenna, first day on the cruise they had a flyer in our cabin asking what our travel options were at the end of the cruise and offered transport to Venice and Bologna. We booked the bus with them and it worked no problem, got on the bus in front of the ship and dropped us off in the car park of Venice airport in about 2.5hrs

Do you recall if they had "free" transportation from the port to the Ravenna Train Station?  I read somewhere on this forum that they provided "free" bus transport from the Ravenna Train Station to the port.  We're taking Royal from Ravenna in October and trying to figure out how to get to the port from our B&B other than taking a 20 euro taxi.

8 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Do you recall if they had "free" transportation from the port to the Ravenna Train Station?  I read somewhere on this forum that they provided "free" bus transport from the Ravenna Train Station to the port.  We're taking Royal from Ravenna in October and trying to figure out how to get to the port from our B&B other than taking a 20 euro taxi.

Sorry I can’t recall but it was well known that there wasn’t many taxis available at the port

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

You will need to take the 20€ taxi.  Not much compared to the cost of your cruise.

RC provided shuttle buses from the Ravenna train station to the Ravenna port for $10 per person.  I am not sure if Celebrity is doing the same.  

With respect to getting to Ravenna from Venice, we took the train which had one change in Ferrara.  I do NOT recommend this way of getting to Ravenna from Venice.  The Ferrara train station does not have elevators.  You have to carry your suitcase(s) down 2 flights of stairs, and then back up.  The time to change trains was short (about 8 - 10minutes).  The train from Ferrara to Ravenna was packed with cruisers.  We had to stand in the area between cars for the entire trip along with about 15 other people in a small space.  It was very stressful.  I do not recommend taking the train!

(We had a private transfer from Venice booked, but we were there the weekend of the Festa di Redentore, and were told that a private transfer on the Sunday after the festival would be unreliable due to all the partying the night before.)

• Thanks 1

Port of Ravenna has a free shuttle bus from the port to the middle of Ravenna.  Ravenna is a beautiful town with places to visit. The mosaics at the cathedral are amazing. There are also excellent cafes and good shopping.  If you have seen Venice previously, you should consider a stay in Ravenna.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Port of Ravenna has a free shuttle bus from the port to the middle of Ravenna.  Ravenna is a beautiful town with places to visit. The mosaics at the cathedral are amazing. There are also excellent cafes and good shopping.  If you have seen Venice previously, you should consider a stay in Ravenna.  

Is this different from the RCL transfer that goes from the train station to the Port that charges $10?  Where does the free shuttle drop off in the middle of Ravenna?  Does it take Pax back to the ship like the bus stop in Civitavecchia?

4 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Is this different from the RCL transfer that goes from the train station to the Port that charges $10?  Where does the free shuttle drop off in the middle of Ravenna?  Does it take Pax back to the ship like the bus stop in Civitavecchia?

I do not know about RCL's transfers, but here's the information of the Ravenna port to city bus shuttle service.

https://www.turismo.ra.it/en/shuttle-bus-ravenna-porto-corsini-cruise-terminal/

23 hours ago, Pushkin said:

RC provided shuttle buses from the Ravenna train station to the Ravenna port for $10 per person.  I am not sure if Celebrity is doing the same.  

With respect to getting to Ravenna from Venice, we took the train which had one change in Ferrara.  I do NOT recommend this way of getting to Ravenna from Venice.  The Ferrara train station does not have elevators.  You have to carry your suitcase(s) down 2 flights of stairs, and then back up.  The time to change trains was short (about 8 - 10minutes).  The train from Ferrara to Ravenna was packed with cruisers.  We had to stand in the area between cars for the entire trip along with about 15 other people in a small space.  It was very stressful.  I do not recommend taking the train!

(We had a private transfer from Venice booked, but we were there the weekend of the Festa di Redentore, and were told that a private transfer on the Sunday after the festival would be unreliable due to all the partying the night before.)

I already purchased our train tickets from Venice-Mestre to Ravenna via Ferrara, but I could've chosen a different train from Venice that changes in Bologna. Do you know if the Bologna station has elevators?

On 8/5/2022 at 10:20 AM, Pushkin said:

Can you share what private transfer you used from Venice to Ravenna and the cost?  

Edited by Sealovr

5 hours ago, NancyIL said:

I already purchased our train tickets from Venice-Mestre to Ravenna via Ferrara, but I could've chosen a different train from Venice that changes in Bologna. Do you know if the Bologna station has elevators?

As JPMorgan said, the Bologna station has elevators.  It is a nice, large station with several levels.  Just watch the connection times - it seems like they sometimes give you 8-10 minutes to get on the next train!  If you download the Trenitalia app, I believe it will tell you what track/binario you will be arriving on, and what track your next train will be leaving from.  Have a great trip!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sealovr said:

Can you share what private transfer you used from Venice to Ravenna and the cost?  

As I mentioned, we decided to use the train instead of the private transfer, but I believe it was approx 360 euro and the company was mydaytrip.com.  

4 hours ago, Pushkin said:

As JPMorgan said, the Bologna station has elevators.  It is a nice, large station with several levels.  Just watch the connection times - it seems like they sometimes give you 8-10 minutes to get on the next train!  If you download the Trenitalia app, I believe it will tell you what track/binario you will be arriving on, and what track your next train will be leaving from.  Have a great trip!

Thank you! I wasn’t keen on dragging luggage up and down stairs, and my husband wanted a reserved seat on at least one train. Therefore, I cancelled the tickets I booked several days ago (all but €6.20 was refunded), and started over.

I reserved seats on the fast train from Venice-Mestre to Bologna, and the regional train from Bologna to Ravenna  - with 17 minutes between trains. The new fare was €44 pp via Bologna, instead of the €15.20 pp we previously paid for two regional trains via Ferrara. 

We did trains from Ravenna to Florence and back a few days later in June.  Celebrity offered bus transfer to the train station.  I thin it was $10.  Takes a while as they want to fill the bus and then it’s about a 20 minute ride to Ravenna.  Make sure you leave yourself plenty of time.   Bologna is a HUGE train station.  If you are connecting there I’d recommend at least 20 minutes to find your way around.  Lots of different levels.  
On the return we booked a private car to the port through the NH Hotel in Ravenna.  Was 40 EUR.  Couldn’t get a straight answer from Azamara on whether they would offer busses.  
Ravenna was an unexpected treasure.   Go see the mosaics if you have time.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

I got quotes from 5 companies for mid-Oct from VCE to Ravenna.  The best one was ~€390, so I'm grudgingly taking the ship's shuttle (I can't manage two suitcases on the train as a solo).  

We would have booked the RC shuttle from Venice P. Roma if we had not already booked the train tickets. When we were making arrangements, the only RC shuttle was from Venice airport, and supposedly only for those who flew in that day.

I think you made a good decision about the train.  It was a lot of trouble for me (solo), and I only had one checked bag size suitcase.  

We booked it ahead through our big box TA, but some people were in line who did not pre-book.  Someone from RC (or the bus line) walked the line asking if people had tickets.  For those who did. not, their names were taken and their onboard account was charged the $10 per person.

• Thanks 1

We were on the Connie in May this year. We had arranged flights by Celebrity to/from Venice. We arrived in Venice five days before our cruise and on embarkation day we travelled by train from Venice  Santa Lucia to Ravenna changing at Ferrara. At Ferrara there are lifts at the front of the platform and in the middle at Ravenna. There were quite a number of us 'independent' travellers and we all just met on the platform at Venice as we all had similar tags! We caught the 09:40 a.m. and the train cost was

E14-80 each. As the lifts were slow at both Ferrara and Ravenna we all made the decision that we would put as many suitcases in the lift as we could and then walk up the stairs. Exiting the station at Ravenna there were coaches with Celebrity signage waiting there with Celebrity staff. We had our cases put into the coach and the Celebrity staff did a sweep of the station just to make sure that nobody had been left behind as there is only one train an hour from Ferrara. The coach from Ravenna rail station to Ravenna port was free. For our return we had pre-booked the Celebrity shuttle from Ravenna Port to Venice airport and this worked fine. Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1