Jewel of the seas 31/08/22 Out of Amsterdam.

orla56

Hi all, We are on the Jewel of the seas  out of Amsterdam on 31/08/22

I received an email today saying that we will depart at 3.30pm  instead of 5.30and arrive back in Amsterdam at 9pm on the 8th Sept instead of the 9th Sept because of the low waters. 

Screenshot_20220805-225247_Outlook.jpg

4 hours ago, orla56 said:

Hi all, We are on the Jewel of the seas  out of Amsterdam on 31/08/22

I received an email today saying that we will depart at 3.30pm  instead of 5.30and arrive back in Amsterdam at 9pm on the 8th Sept instead of the 9th Sept because of the low waters. 

Screenshot_20220805-225247_Outlook.jpg

You may want to post on the roll call for this cruise.

This has been in place for several weeks now.  My Aug. 19th departure is also impacted.  We've lost a port in order to return to Amsterdam early and overnight, as well.  The mid-July British Isles itinerary also missed a port due to being scheduled back early by the Port of Amsterdam.

https://www.portofamsterdam.com/en/news/high-salt-levels-north-sea-canal

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

I had an Arctic Crossing on the Serenade in August of 23 that was going to Norway but has been cancelled. We've been switched over to the Jewel but Norway isn't on our itinerary anymore.  It's a bucket list country and unfortunately cannot find any that travel there in 2023.  So disappointed.

It no longer says when you have to disembark. Usually you can stay a couple hours after it is scheduled to arrive. Now that it arrives at 9 pm, I was just wondering if you have to leave the ship earlier than the time that it was scheduled for earlier 

19 hours ago, unclegrandpa said:

What time do you have to be off the ship in Amsterdam now, does anyone know? Did that change? 

You disembark in the morning. We were on the July 26 Arctic Circle cruise and arrived back in Amsterdam on Saturday evening and disembarked on Sunday, yesterday. Had a really wonderful time on the Jewel!

34 minutes ago, celly said:

You disembark in the morning. We were on the July 26 Arctic Circle cruise and arrived back in Amsterdam on Saturday evening and disembarked on Sunday, yesterday. Had a really wonderful time on the Jewel!

What time were you supposed to leave the ship at the latest?

Also, did you fly out of Schiphol? If so, how long did you have to wait in line to go through security?

Edited by unclegrandpa

We disembarked at 08.30. At that time they had called all numbers but there were long lines when we got out of the elevator. Did not have a flight. But if you have a flight leaving from Schiphol, disembark as soon as possible and get early to the airport. Schiphol has become a real mess.

Their website says it takes two hours to go through security right now. Hopefully it will be better in a month from now when fewer people go on vacation.

I switched to an earlier flight after they announced the ship gets there the night before. If the situation with the security lines at Schiphol continue I will probably just leave the ship at around 6 am. 

10 hours ago, celly said:

What time did they start letting people off the ship? 

4 hours ago, Tinkbelle87 said:

What time did they start letting people off the ship? 

Also just off the Jewel Arctic Circle yesterday Aug 7th. You could certainly opt to disembark on Saturday night after docking at 9:00pm (you were also free to leave and come back) or the earliest using self assist was 6:45am on Sunday.

The concierge offered to walk us off but we had no problem doing self assist at about 7:30am. Absolutely no lines...We easily walked off the ship and into a taxi. We flew DL One and walked right up to the SkyPriority counter at Schiphol again no lines. We were through checkin and at the lounge around 9:00am. I must say I had been so concerned about this and had booked a 2:30pm flight back to LAX via SEA and could have certainly made a much earlier flight...but you never know.

However arriving for our 3 pre-cruise days was an entirely different experience...that took us almost 4 hours to get out of that airport and into a taxi heading for our Banks Mansion hotel (loved that hotel). Road construction going on and made the trip to the hotel longer and a bit more expensive.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, unclegrandpa said:

Was there no way to get off the ship between 9 pm and that time in the morning? 

Yes, as I said in my post above...once docked at 9:00pm you could disembark completely or come and go. Normal disembark started at 6:45am. This was up to you what you wanted to do. We saw people leaving with their luggage the last time I looked (as we could see the dock) was around 11:00pm.

We were also on the July 26 sailling and stayed an extra night in Amsterdam due to an early-ish flight back to Detroit.  Our experience at the airport was better than expected.  We got to the airport at about 6:50 am. It took about an hour to drop off our luggage using the automated method and then maybe another 40 minutes for the security line.   Then..., we had a third line for a boarding pass and passport check.  All in all,  we made it to the gate in about two hours.  Delta has suggested showing up at the airport 4 hours in advance, so it all worked out okay for us.  Our luggage also came through both coming in and out of Amsterdam. 

16 hours ago, nancy2vues said:

We were also on the July 26 sailling and stayed an extra night in Amsterdam due to an early-ish flight back to Detroit.  Our experience at the airport was better than expected.  We got to the airport at about 6:50 am. It took about an hour to drop off our luggage using the automated method and then maybe another 40 minutes for the security line.   Then..., we had a third line for a boarding pass and passport check.  All in all,  we made it to the gate in about two hours.  Delta has suggested showing up at the airport 4 hours in advance, so it all worked out okay for us.  Our luggage also came through both coming in and out of Amsterdam. 

Could you explain about the third line? How long did that take? Were you not able to just get your boarding pass in the email?

Delta used to have their own private security at the gate that you had to go through to board the flights to the US. With a full body scanner/metal detector. Not sure if they still do that. But it would only have the people that board that specific flight as far as I remember. 

56 minutes ago, unclegrandpa said:

Could you explain about the third line? How long did that take? Were you not able to just get your boarding pass in the email?

Delta used to have their own private security at the gate that you had to go through to board the flights to the US. With a full body scanner/metal detector. Not sure if they still do that. But it would only have the people that board that specific flight as far as I remember. 

We easily had our boarding passes which we printed out on the ship. We flew on DL ONE and had no issues anywhere. Going through security had nothing to do with DL but we were of course able to use SkyPriority where that was an option.

7 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We easily had our boarding passes which we printed out on the ship. We flew on DL ONE and had no issues anywhere. Going through security had nothing to do with DL but we were of course able to use SkyPriority where that was an option.

My question was about the third line. I wasn't talking about DLOne or sky priority.

In the past Delta had their own security checkpoint in some European airports like CDG and AMS. I don't know if they still exist. It was just my guess about the third line. 

3 hours ago, nancy2vues said:

The third line was a line where we just had to show our passports and boarding passes. Yes, we had checked in online and had previously already shown our boarding passes and passports. 

You mean the line to board the plane? That one doesn't matter because you can't be late once you reach that. Or was that something else? 

On 8/11/2022 at 8:55 PM, unclegrandpa said:

You mean the line to board the plane? That one doesn't matter because you can't be late once you reach that. Or was that something else? 

It was a third line right after the luggage drop off line and the security line--not at the gate.  That would be a fourth line:)

Nancy

41 minutes ago, nancy2vues said:

It was a third line right after the luggage drop off line and the security line--not at the gate.  That would be a fourth line:)

Nancy

We flew from there in May. After we dropped off luggage we went to passport control to show passport and boarding pas and then to security. Then headed to gate.  As we've said, left hotel at 7:10 am and at gate by 8:30.  Had been warned about long lines so got there early. Lucked out.

• Like 1