Looking for pre cruise cabin or rental anywhere from anchorage to Seward.

Mountaineer0313

13 hours ago, tetleytea said:

What's the situation with the Bed & Breakfasts?

I didn't see any recommendations for bed and breakfasts except the first post, but that persons recs were all on the opposite direction of Anchorage, so I didn't really look at them. Did I miss something?

Did you see the Alaska State Fair?   It's in Palmer (which is basically Anchorage).   I'm looking right now for the B&B in Palmer where I stayed at; I was happy there.   You get to see giant squash and cabbages and stuff, 100+ pounds for one cabbage.  You'll be mingling with the locals.  All kinds of things to do in Palmer that cruisers typically don't do (e.g. Hatcher Pass, ATV to Knik glacier, rafting, musk ox farm).  

When I was in a similar predicament as you, I found much more availability for B&B's in the Anchorage area.  Seward was booked up, hotels were less than plentiful.

On 8/8/2022 at 11:21 PM, Mountaineer0313 said:

We were booked at Summit Lake Lodge for 3 nights prior to our cruise on September 9th and received an email today that they’re closing down September 5th. They said we can still stay, but the restaurant and all facilities will be closed. So I’m taking this as a sign that maybe there’s something better out there. Looking for a cabin/cottage/house (no shared units or room rentals), somewhere between anchorage and Seward. A good view is a must, on a body of water even better, a washer and dryer would make me really happy,  preferably through a legit rental company. Any suggestions? 

That is a shame.  I stayed at Summit Lake Lodge and really enjoyed it.  Even the restaurant was excellent.

You could stay at the Alyeska Resort although it is a resort.  We enjoyed that.  Otherwise, I would suggest Seward itself or just outside.  We stayed at Exit Glacier Lodge.  There are other nice properties just down the same road that Exit Glacier Lodge is on.

Not much else in-between Anchorage and Seward but a nice ride.

You might try pulling up your favorite map app and searching for lodging in the desired area.  We’ve found some great places that way, because we can get to the establishment’s website, as well as visitor photos and reviews from the links on the map.  We have also avoided some places based on the satellite overlay or street views from the map.

Edited by Sailin Gal

How do you plan to get from Anchorage (I assume you are flying into Anchorage) to the hotel/lodge and then to Seward?

Last time I looked one way car rentals were very pricey.  Most people take a train or bus from Anchorage to Seward.

5 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

How do you plan to get from Anchorage (I assume you are flying into Anchorage) to the hotel/lodge and then to Seward?

Last time I looked one way car rentals were very pricey.  Most people take a train or bus from Anchorage to Seward.

We are taking the train from Anchorage to Seward Tuesday morning and then picking up our rental car in Seward and keeping it until Friday when we get on the ship.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:34 AM, tetleytea said:

Did you see the Alaska State Fair?   It's in Palmer (which is basically Anchorage).   I'm looking right now for the B&B in Palmer where I stayed at; I was happy there.   You get to see giant squash and cabbages and stuff, 100+ pounds for one cabbage.  You'll be mingling with the locals.  All kinds of things to do in Palmer that cruisers typically don't do (e.g. Hatcher Pass, ATV to Knik glacier, rafting, musk ox farm).  

When I was in a similar predicament as you, I found much more availability for B&B's in the Anchorage area.  Seward was booked up, hotels were less than plentiful.

I want to stay at least on the Seward side of Anchorage since we have a Major Marine tour on Thursday, so that we don't have to drive to Seward for that, then back to Anchorage, then back to Seward on Friday to board.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:34 AM, LB_NJ said:

That is a shame.  I stayed at Summit Lake Lodge and really enjoyed it.  Even the restaurant was excellent.

You could stay at the Alyeska Resort although it is a resort.  We enjoyed that.  Otherwise, I would suggest Seward itself or just outside.  We stayed at Exit Glacier Lodge.  There are other nice properties just down the same road that Exit Glacier Lodge is on.

Not much else in-between Anchorage and Seward but a nice ride.

I think we'll just end up staying at Summit Lake. Even without the restaurant, there are other eating options around. 

We stayed at Alyeska last time, and although beautiful, not $600 a night beautiful lol. I mean, it is. But I think for that amount of money we'll just stay at Summit Lake and drive to Girdwood. We really loved it there.

I didn’t realize there were other eating options near Summit Lake Lodge. Another consideration is the road construction in the area if you’re traveling between Seward and the lodge. You may be fine with this as well but it’s something to look into as it can be a bit inconvenient. They were closing the highway at night periodically due to blasting.

https://www.alaskanavigator.org/projects/seward-highway-mp-17-225-rehabilitation

There’s a Facebook page that locals post updates on the highway.  “Seward Highway Report”.

A very good restaurant for breakfast or lunch in Girdwood is The Bake Shop. For dinner there is the Double Muskie which is Cajun themed but also has other fare. If you go a little south of Summit and take the turn off towards Soldotna there is a Micro-brewery and a little further down is a restaurant called  Sunrise Cafe. Camped at Summit Lake last weekend and has a great view.

On 8/12/2022 at 2:37 PM, Glaciers said:

I didn’t realize there were other eating options near Summit Lake Lodge. Another consideration is the road construction in the area if you’re traveling between Seward and the lodge. You may be fine with this as well but it’s something to look into as it can be a bit inconvenient. They were closing the highway at night periodically due to blasting.

https://www.alaskanavigator.org/projects/seward-highway-mp-17-225-rehabilitation

There’s a Facebook page that locals post updates on the highway.  “Seward Highway Report”.

I don't know about Alaska, but as they say in Canada:  there are two seasons:   winter, and construction season.

On 8/12/2022 at 3:37 PM, Glaciers said:

According to googlemaps there is, and the lady talked to at Summit Lake assured me they would be open when we were there. And I know there are definitely restaurants in Girdwood.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2022 at 8:14 PM, Mountaineer0313 said:

According to googlemaps there is, and the lady talked to at Summit Lake assured me they would be open when we were there. And I know there are definitely restaurants in Girdwood.

I've stayed at Summit Lake lodge and it is really nice.

However, Girdwood is 45 minutes away, 90 minutes round trip.  Assuming no construction.

6 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I've stayed at Summit Lake lodge and it is really nice.

However, Girdwood is 45 minutes away, 90 minutes round trip.  Assuming no construction.

Lol. It takes 45 minutes to get across our town. We routinely drive out of town just to try new restaurants. 45 minutes is nothing. 
Glad for the favorable review. It looks very nice, and other reviews are also good. Looking forward to some hopeful peace and quiet. 

Edited by Mountaineer0313

21 hours ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

Thanks, I decided to stick with my original booking.

This might be a little late but have you checked out SAUERDOUGH LODGING in Seward. My family and I stayed the last time we sailed out of Seward and really enjoyed it.