Is there an expiration date for Covid vaccines?

styles27

Just noticed this wording on MSC’s site. (Highlighted text)
We received our first vaccine March 2021 

and booster October 2021
Cruising 12/22. If vaccines are still mandatory at that time I’m wondering if we will have a problem. 
I have heard different opinions from the higher ups on just how long the vaccines last but I haven’t heard anyone put an official expiration date on them. 

So we’re wondering exactly what “vaccination certificate must be valid for the duration of the cruise” means.  

5671E725-0C63-4253-9D78-3F716851A274.thumb.jpeg.606b096a639c884e3fa861f1bb1dde5a.jpeg

3 minutes ago, styles27 said:

and booster October 2021
Cruising 12/22. If vaccines are still mandatory at that time I’m wondering if we will have a problem. 
I have heard different opinions from the higher ups on just how long the vaccines last but I haven’t heard anyone put an official expiration date on them. 

So we’re wondering exactly what “vaccination certificate must be valid for the duration of the cruise” means.  

5671E725-0C63-4253-9D78-3F716851A274.thumb.jpeg.606b096a639c884e3fa861f1bb1dde5a.jpeg

There is no expiration on boosters.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

There is no expiration on boosters.

I know a second booster is recommended by the CDC for those of us 50 and over, which we may get in the Fall depending on how things are at that time.  But for them to say the vaccination card must be valid for the duration of the cruise just doesn’t make any sense. 

Just Googled how long does vaccine last --this would suggest you need to booster after 24 weeks to be protected and protect others.

To keep your vaccine credentials current for travel, you’ll want to schedule a booster shot as soon as you’re eligible. That’s the easiest way to keep your vaccination status up-to-date. After completing the booster shot, travelers should update their vaccine passport or paper CDC card with their booster shot date and vaccine lot number.

COVID-19 vaccines, like others, lose effectiveness after a certain time but still protect against severe symptoms, according to several studies. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were a whopping 84% effective at 13 to 24 weeks, or roughly three to 5.5 months. (The Johnson and Johnson vaccine was not included in the study.)

Keeping your vaccination status current is not the only consideration for travelers. There is usually a waiting period after a final dose for a person to be considered fully vaccinated, and travelers may also want to consider potential side effects. No one wants to get a booster shot, hop on a plane and feel under the weather for the first few days of vacation.

Edited by emmas gran
  • Like 1

I read this regarding cruises in Europe which indicate that if you were vaccinated greater than 270 before your cruise, you need a booster.  If you are within the 270 days and said days don't run out prior to the end of your cruise, you don't need the booster.  However, if your cruise occurs in the midst of your 270th day, ie on day 5 of your ten day cruise you've reached 270 days since your vaccination, your card is "expired" and you will need a booster.

For US sailings, the wording is such that MSC recommends the booster but I see nothing about requiring it.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I read this regarding cruises in Europe which indicate that if you were vaccinated greater than 270 before your cruise, you need a booster.  If you are within the 270 days and said days don't run out prior to the end of your cruise, you don't need the booster.  However, if your cruise occurs in the midst of your 270th day, ie on day 5 of your ten day cruise you've reached 270 days since your vaccination, your card is "expired" and you will need a booster.

For US sailings, the wording is such that MSC recommends the booster but is not requiring it.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

That’s exactly the info I’m looking for. Thank you!
I remember when they announced those guidelines for European sailings. 

I’ve searched for similar info for US sailings but have come up empty.

I’ve also searched the CDC website and they don’t break it down to the vaccine expiring after a specific number of days like the European’s do.  They simply “recommend” a booster (or 2) depending on age. 

So I’m thinking MSC doesn’t even realize they included that stipulation I highlighted in my original post in their US sailings to the Caribbean/Bahamas 

This has me confused and a bit anxious. We are booked on a Med Cruise on Splendida next month. Fully Vaxxed but our final dose was November 15, 2021   When I read the requirements on the website today, it doesn’t mention an expiration date. Just fully vaxxed and booster encouraged. The 270 days part is no where to be found. Dare I call MSC? I don’t want to be denied boarding. 

1 minute ago, panchakes said:

This has me confused and a bit anxious. We are booked on a Med Cruise on Splendida next month. Fully Vaxxed but our final dose was November 15, 2021   When I read the requirements on the website today, it doesn’t mention an expiration date. Just fully vaxxed and booster encouraged. The 270 days part is no where to be found. Dare I call MSC? I don’t want to be denied boarding. 

I agree it is all very confusing.  Did you use a TA or book direct?  A TA would be where I would start.

1 minute ago, panchakes said:

Okay, I called and had the sweetest lady! She said that the updated health and safety measures don’t require a booster even if it’s been over 270 days. Gosh, I hope she’s right. 😬

Wow!  That's great information.  I am assuming that is for both US and Europe?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, panchakes said:

Okay, I called and had the sweetest lady! She said that the updated health and safety measures don’t require a booster even if it’s been over 270 days. Gosh, I hope she’s right. 😬

Please report back if you can. It does seem like Covid requirements are lightening up so hopefully she’s right. 

We haven’t gotten our second booster even though we’re mid and late 50’s respectively but we decided we will get one in Sept just to be sure. 

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

Some countries have a 270-day rule on the maximum time it can be since you had your last vaccination or booster in order to be considered "fully vaccinated". No EU countries have such a rule that I'm aware of. If your cruise is visiting other countries, which presumably they all do, then it's best to review the guidelines for each country.

I like to use Delta.com and scroll down just a bit to "Explore Destinations and Travel Requirements". Input your origin city and a destination city in a country you're going to. Then input if you're fully vaccinated or not. A box will pop-up with all the covid entry requirements for that country.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 6:01 PM, styles27 said:

and booster October 2021

I called on this.  The certificate needing to be valid, question.  I don't even know what that means.  I was told "not to read too much into it."  My status was fine I was told after the customer service rep spoke to a supervisor.  For the record I am 2 shots vaccinated (Pfizer) in 2021 no boosters.  I am 10 days out from my cruise so I can't really do anything about it anyway.  Am I 100% confident on the answer...No.  I am about 90% though.  Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, BIGDADDY1 said:

I called on this.  The certificate needing to be valid, question.  I don't even know what that means.  I was told "not to read too much into it."  My status was fine I was told after the customer service rep spoke to a supervisor.  For the record I am 2 shots vaccinated (Pfizer) in 2021 no boosters.  I am 10 days out from my cruise so I can't really do anything about it anyway.  Am I 100% confident on the answer...No.  I am about 90% though.  Hope this helps.

Thank you for sharing your experience with customer service. 

I decided to call MSC as well. The rep I spoke to told me it’s not so much MSC’s policy as it could be the ports we visit. She told me to look at the requirements of the countries we are cruising to as some may have vaccination expiration guidelines that we need to follow. 

So we’re going to Bahamas, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia.

I’m looking at their vaccination guidelines next. 

Can’t wait til we can just pack and go without worrying about this stuff. 

I hope you have a great cruise!

• Like 1

This is insane really. I am doing a Mediterranean cruise in September. I was "fully vaccinated" in 2021 as well. Subsequent antibody titers (specific quantity testing) show my immunity is increasing! So I would be considered having a "previous infection," which is also acceptable - except I don't have the certificate that Europe uses, just a blood test report.

That's all I need is to be denied boarding. But I did look around at "fully vaccinated" and the CDC in the spring said that means just the original vaccine series and not the booster. In Europe, it's the 270 day rule or 180 for Italians.