Parking near Manhatten Cruise Terminal in NYC

dawcruiser

My wife is handicapped and used an electric scooter.  We normally cruise the carribbean.  But she wants to go north this time.  We are leaving NYC 9/11/22 going up the eastern seaboard.  My problem is parking.  In Florida the parking at the terminal is free for handicapped people.  It is very easy to get her to the ship and park.  But in NYC I have no idea.  Can anyone recommend a safe, reasonably priced and near to the terminal parking garage.  In Florida the parking garages belong to the terminal.  Don't know in NYC.  Any help or advise will be truly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Don

Parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is $40/night but is the closest and easiest-to-navigate place. There are garages that are less expensive some blocks away but if you are looking for convenience, parking right at the terminal would be your best bet. A Google search of nearby places will show you some other options.

Even if you park somewhere other than the terminal, you can still drive into the terminal pretty much right to the ship.  You can drop off your wife, scooter and luggage and then go park your car and meet you wife back at the terminal.

Good luck and enjoy!

My mom uses a scooter & the parking at the terminal was easy. We went through the inspection, dropped bags with the porters, then parked in a handicap spot. We unloaded the scooter & she rode it to the terminal. Do be advised some of the sidewalk didn't have cut aways, so my dad & I had to get it over a curb while mom used her walker. 

@dawcruiser especially given your wife's mobility issues, I strongly suggest that you park at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal itself.  Yes, it's $40/night, but this is New York where parking is very expensive anywhere.  At the Terminal, your vehicle will be safe and secure; you will not have to turn your keys over to anyone else, and your vehicle will be right there when you get off the ship.  It could not be more convenient.

Here's the East Coast Departures forum where parking for cruises leaving from Manhattan is a frequent topic:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goldmom said:

Even if you park somewhere other than the terminal, you can still drive into the terminal pretty much right to the ship.  You can drop off your wife, scooter and luggage and then go park your car and meet you wife back at the terminal.

Good luck and enjoy!

Re "go park your car" -- not such a simple thing in Manhattan.  Meanwhile, the OP's wife is waiting around for him until who knows when.  But more important -- what about disembarkation?   Where are the OP's wife and all their luggage while the OP goes to get the car and drives back to the Terminal, where a zillion people are disembarking and maybe folks are already showing up for the next sailing. Cars and taxis coming and going.  It will likely be a zoo.  And the OP finds his wife where?  And how long after he leaves her? 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Re "go park your car" -- not such a simple thing in Manhattan.  Meanwhile, the OP's wife is waiting around for him until who knows when.  But more important -- what about disembarkation?   Where are the OP's wife and all their luggage while the OP goes to get the car and drives back to the Terminal, where a zillion people are disembarking and maybe folks are already showing up for the next sailing. Cars and taxis coming and going.  It will likely be a zoo.  And the OP finds his wife where?  And how long after he leaves her? 

This situation is a no brainer, park at the pier. The cost savings to park at a valet lot are definitely not worth this hassle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

These are all very valid points and ones the OP should definitely take into consideration.

I absolutely agree that the terminal parking would make the most sense in this situation, but I know there are people who choose cheaper rates over convenience and just wanted to let the OP know that if he really preferred parking off the pier area that he could still drop his wife and scooter and luggage off.

As he is someone coming in who is not familiar with Manhattan, I would also suggest parking at the terminal.

• Like 2

In addition, if your car carrying the scooter is classified by a Manhattan parking garage as "oversize" as many Minivans and SUVs are, your parking charge is inflated a lot. 

Park at the port. My wife is disabled and that has always been the easy way to go.

• Like 1