Upgrading after final payment

We did this on our last cruise.  We had booked a balcony cabin.  After final payment and about a month before we cruised prices went down quite a bit.  We called and paid to upgrade to a JR suite.  The price was actually a little less than I had bid on Royal Up.  However, the added cost raised my taxes and insurance amount just a bit. [this would have happened with the Royal Up, too]

I went into the Royal Up and deleted my JS bid and adjusted my other suite bids to reflect the added money we paid.  Imagine our surprise when we won the Royal Up for an Owner's suite.  It was the best cabin we have ever had.  We loved the cabin.  YMMV

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

We did this on our last cruise. [earlier this month] The ship was not near capacity.

We had booked a balcony cabin.  After final payment and about a month before we cruised prices went down quite a bit.  We called and paid to upgrade to a JR suite.  The price was actually a little less than I had bid on Royal Up.  However, the added cost raised my taxes and insurance amount just a bit. [this would have happened with the Royal Up, too]

I went into the Royal Up and deleted my JS bid and adjusted my other suite bids to reflect the added money we paid.  Imagine our surprise when we won the Royal Up for an Owner's suite.  It was the best cabin we have ever had.  We loved the cabin.  YMMV

Sorry--was trying to add a couple of thoughts and I hit quote rather than edit. 😂

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

8 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

The price was actually a little less than I had bid on Royal Up.  However, the added cost raised my taxes and insurance amount just a bit. [this would have happened with the Royal Up, too]

Port fees and taxes are a set amount and do not change by the amount paid. It's possible port fees went up ... or down. Taxes arent based on the category you booked or amount you paid. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BusyFLmom said:

Is the only way to do this thru Royal UP?  I called and asked to change cabins from an Ocean View to a balcony and was told I could not since final payment was passed.

I would call back and ask again, because I have done this many times. 

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Port fees and taxes are a set amount and do not change by the amount paid. It's possible port fees went up ... or down. Taxes arent based on the category you booked or amount you paid. 

Good to know.  Just know it and insurance went up a little. 

OMG...another thread with misleading and false information given from the RCI phone reps.  😮  

Getting worse.  

As others suggested...simply call back and get another rep that actually knows what they are talking about. 

These outsourced reps are getting worse...many times have heard babies crying next to them, dogs barking inside the house, the TV blaring in the next room...etc..  I guess if RCI can score a warm body with phone access...they are instantly hired.