Would like to change Ship, sailing a day later

scouseronline

We are booked on the Infinity, 11 Nov 2023, 8 nights, paid our final payment just recently, 

The Apex 7 day sailing, leaving 1 day later on Nov 12 , has great prices right now, still higher price than the Infinity and we would lose our really good OBC but I think it would be worth it to sail on the Apex instead.

I spoke to Celebrity and asked if we can change our booking, they said yes but we have to go through our TA

Spoke with our TA, they advised that we would have to cancel the Infinity reservation and pay the cancellation penalty, plus $100 pp agency cancellation charge, then we can book the Apex.

Just wondering if anyone else has changed ship to leave a day later and what was your experience ? 

Thank you, 🙂

13 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

The issue is that you are beyond final payment, and that will cost you $$$. Otherwise it is usually just a $100pp charge to change ship or date.

How they are beyond final payment? Sailing Nov 2023. 

Obviously you meant 2022.  I have never cancelled after a final payment, but it is my understanding that you will pay a cancellation fee.  Better hurry before the cancellation fees goes up.  I do not think the number of days between your current cruise and new cruise makes any difference.

Changing a cruise, whether its to a cruise 1 day difference or a year difference doesn’t matter, its a change and you end up losing the $100 from a non-refundable deposit.

What caught me was the additional cost the TA is charging the OP to cancel and make the change. Wow. Ive used my TA for years and Never was charged for a flat out cancelation or moving over to another cruise….ouch. Id reconsider that TA.

And I dont mean to rub it in to the poor OP, but My TA just handled a cancelation of a cruise I had set up in 2023 and booked one in 2024….and they not only didn’t charge me for their effort, they got Celebrity to not take the $100 each from the deposit for the rebook And got them to keep my OBC I’d got for booking the original cruise while onboard an earlier cruise. Nice.

den 

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Changing a cruise, whether its to a cruise 1 day difference or a year difference doesn’t matter, its a change and you end up losing the $100 from a non-refundable deposit.

What caught me was the additional cost the TA is charging the OP to cancel and make the change. Wow. Ive used my TA for years and Never was charged for a flat out cancelation or moving over to another cruise….ouch. Id reconsider that TA.

And I dont mean to rub it in to the poor OP, but My TA just handled a cancelation of a cruise I had set up in 2023 and booked one in 2024….and they not only didn’t charge me for their effort, they got Celebrity to not take the $100 each from the deposit for the rebook And got them to keep my OBC I’d got for booking the original cruise while onboard an earlier cruise. Nice.

den 

There is a airline that books cruises.    They charged me $25 pp booking fee and then wanted $25 pp for any change I made.  If I wanted  to change cabins, get a price reduction and etc.   $25 pp for each change. 

One and done.   I didn’t know about the fees until after I booked the cruise.  I had the chance to cancel and rebook with another TA  but it was a weekend deal.  By the time I found out about those fees the sale was over and the price of the cabin almost doubled. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

8 minutes ago, miched said:

There is a airline that books cruises.    They charged me $25 pp booking fee and then wanted $25 pp for any change I made.  If I wanted  to change cabins, get a price reduction and etc.   $25 pp for each change. 

One and done.   I didn’t know about the fees until after I booked the cruise.  I had the chance to cancel and rebook with another TA  but it was a weekend deal.  By the time I found out about those fees the sale was over and the price of the cabin almost doubled. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I know my post(s) sound as if I do It Right…but we all step into those situations. I once booked with what I thought was the actual river cruise line and when I canceled, it turned out it was a very closely named booking site that charged me the whole deposit to cancel. Had to go with insurance then with my chargecard and so on. A real hassle.

That’s why I also stay away from websites unless it a major one, and even then…..booked a hotel via a major on line site and when I got there, they moved me to a ‘similar’ hotel that happened to Not be close by at all. When I complained, the hotel told me to ‘check with who I booked with’….in other words, you didnt book with us and You are not really our customer and are lower priority. 

I now find a hotel I like, and when possible, book directly unless the costs are much higher, which doesnt happen that much.

den

13 hours ago, scouseronline said:

We are booked on the Infinity, 11 Nov 2023, 8 nights, paid our final payment just recently, 

The Apex 7 day sailing, leaving 1 day later on Nov 12 , has great prices right now, still higher price than the Infinity and we would lose our really good OBC but I think it would be worth it to sail on the Apex instead.

I spoke to Celebrity and asked if we can change our booking, they said yes but we have to go through our TA

Spoke with our TA, they advised that we would have to cancel the Infinity reservation and pay the cancellation penalty, plus $100 pp agency cancellation charge, then we can book the Apex.

Just wondering if anyone else has changed ship to leave a day later and what was your experience ? 

Thank you, 🙂

It doesn’t matter if it’s a day later or a week later. It’s a completely different cruise. You have to cancel the one you have and start off with the new one and since you are after final payment you have to pay any penalties the cruise line and your travel agent imposes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I also book with a cruise division of an airline and have been very satisfied.  My agent always clarifies all fees, possible or definite, before booking.  I do get charged a $25 fee for booking.  I am aware of that but consider it a fair exchange for the average 7,000 to 10,000 frequent flier airline miles I receive for booking each cruise through the agency.  They usually add OBC as well.

When booking a cruise/trip a travel agency has a place to add an "agency fee". Most, not all, will add $50 -$100 for the booking. Some add more depending on the cost of the trip/cruise and their time spent booking it. Some agents will then turn around and give you an OBC for that amount. Having been an agent for years it is not something I ever did but was encourage to do so by the agency owner. I have given back part of my commission to the booking client as a OBC to celebrate a special occasion..