Refundable deposit not available for suite cabins?

KLMB

I picked out the suite cabin I wanted online and called to book it.  I asked for the refundable deposit rate, knowing it would be higher.  I was told that refundable rates were not available on any suites on any ship (I was trying to book Oasis).  I asked to speak to the manager, and yes, he said, suites do not qualify for refundable rates.  I had never tried book with refundable deposit before and I was surprised.  Where is this information on the web site,  I obviously need to do more research.  Thanks in advance for any information

I'd have to do some searching, but yes, suites changed to NRD about 5-6 years ago.  The problem was that cruisers would book multiple cruise itineraries in suites that overlapped and then wouldn't make up their mind what cruise to take until final payment.  Royal couldn't sell the suites to others until that time and they wouldn't be able to sell them.
So now it is NRD on all suites, Royal can sell all their suites earlier, and the upgrade fairy died off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rewind said:

I'd have to do some searching, but yes, suites changed to NRD about 5-6 years ago.  The problem was that cruisers would book multiple cruise itineraries in suites that overlapped and then wouldn't make up their mind what cruise to take until final payment.  Royal couldn't sell the suites to others until that time and they wouldn't be able to sell them.
So now it is NRD on all suites, Royal can sell all their suites earlier, and the upgrade fairy died off.

That was the exact problem. To many greedy people so now GS suites and above are always non-refundable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KLMB said:

Where is this information on the web site,  I obviously need to do more research.

Item 18:

Deposits made toward Guarantees and Grand Suites and higher categories are non-refundable and subject to NRD Booking terms. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/terms-and-conditions/digital-terms-of-use-and-end-user-license-agreement

32 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

in the past year i was told theres a 100 dollar fee if you do want to move that deposit. 

Outside of the Cruise With Confidence COVID program, that's been the case for as they've had NRDs, which I found out last night was introduced in July 2017. It's also listed in item 18 above. You can also find this on your Cruise Vacation Receipt under Deposit and Final Payment Schedule.

• Thanks 1

Many cruise lines now have nonrefundable deposits and final payments much earlier for suites or higher categories.

The deposit fee is often higher than lower category cabins.

You can usually find the details on deposits, rates and cancellation on any cruise line website in the area called by various names such as Ticket Contract, Terms and Conditions,  or User Agreement.

Many times the link will be on the website home page down at the very bottom of the page.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been told several times by reps that you can get a refundable deposit on a full suite and have even been offered a RD price on a full suite but it was almost twice the price of a NRD fare. You have to call to get it. But it’s priced so high that no one would ever buy it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1