Uber in Athens

donaldsc

This is going to sound like a really stupid post but here goes.  We will be taking several tours in Athens and we have been told that we can take an Uber to the tour meeting place.  I have looked on the WEB and it appears that Uber in Athens is a mixed bag.  My specific question question is on the Uber app itself.  I assume that it comes up in Greek which is to be expected as we are in Greece.  Is there an option to have it come up in English so that I can read it?  

DON

Uber has always been hit/miss in Athens.   Many locals (and expats) use a different app/service called "Beat."  No harm in trying the Uber app, but if you have no success getting a car than you should be prepared with a "Plan B."

Hank

Taxis in Athens are plentiful. I would not bother with Uber. If there isn't a taxi right outside your hotel when you need them they can call for one. Or they can call ahead of time to have one waitng for you at a given time. 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

Beware of the Athens taxi drivers that will ask you randomly if you want a ride when they see you. We found out that they almost always overcharge. Ask at your hotel how much on average a ride should cost based on where you are going. It's probably worth it to try and book Uber. 

• Like 1

ALWAYS keep an eye on the meter.  Our driver from the airport to hotel quickly shut it off and increased the cost by 10 euro.  When I mentioned it at the front desk they said I should have come inside and they would have dealt with the driver.  They told us what the price should be for a taxi to the pier and when that driver TRIED to overcharge I started noting his license etc. and suggested we call the police to settle things.  He quickly dropped the price to what we were told to expect.  Just BE AWARE!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, marazul said:

Yes. Some taxis are minivans. You might want to book a transfer service for about the same price as the taxi, that would guarantee you a minivan. For example,  taxigreece.com 

Thanks for replying.  We just booked our transfers with Welcome Pickups.  Easy to do and a great price so we hope they work out!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...