Almost Live: Northern Isles on Rotterdam August 28th 2022

VMax1700

I have had a small technical problem the last few days.  I dropped my pocket digital camera just after going ashore in Reykjavik and it ceased to function.  When I got back to the ship I tried everything to resurrect it, but nothing I did seemed to work.  Having confessed to DW that it seemed that all was lost (of course images were backed up to the PC) and I would have to purchase a new one in Lerwick, I decided to take technology to the outer bounds of ludicrous thinking and decided that if a drop had caused the problem then another drop might cure it.  Nothing to lose, so bang.💥

It worked.  So far it is behaving, but it will be replaced soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

On 8/28/2022 at 5:13 PM, VMax1700 said:

I  will be posting images later, but there were 7 masks on our desk when we entered the stateroom.  Two white cloth HAL masks and 5 KN95 masks.

It is hard to say how many are abiding by the 'Masks Recommended' status, but so far I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of guests who are conforming.

Reading your great trip report with much pleasure and interest, could you maybe tell how the mask wearing is currently, now you have traveled for a couple of days?

The tendering in Isafjordur (Saturday) was a disaster.  Unbelievably slow.

DW will not take a tender mainly because of the closed environment with too many people and the bouncing of the tender on the water causes her too much pain.  So, I waited until the CD announced that 'now is a good time to go ashore'.  So I headed to the BBK lounge where I was told that there would be a 30/40 minute delay before my group number would be called.  I gave the ticket back and said no thanks.  Then headed to the tender platform where I was asked for my ticket. Although there had been no mention of Priority tendering, I just brazened it out and said 'Priority tendering' and showed my keycard.  Success!  and I was on a tender were we waited for about 20 minutes whilst they loaded a few scooters and chairs and then some passengers.

I just walked around the town and sent some flower pics back to DW by Whatsapp.

20220903_120352.thumb.jpg.05aa1105a4270223cfb691e56a1d6944.jpg

20220903_120426.thumb.jpg.4c76030eaf9794674a864d667a6d9554.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Coming back onboard was just as troublesome.

There was a short line for the tender, but I returned to the line as the tender was very full and most people were not wearing masks.  On boarding the second tender I sat at the open door to keep the air moving as again they filled the tender and a lot of the pax were unmasked.

When we reached the ship there was a ten minute delay as we lay to, waiting to approach the platform.  I have no idea why the operation (both directions) was so poorly managed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alphen said:

Reading your great trip report with much pleasure and interest, could you maybe tell how the mask wearing is currently, now you have traveled for a couple of days?

I would say that just over 50% of pax are masked.  Crew are 100% masked.  We have had a few 'neck breathers' too!

We are wearing masks continually, except when eating and drinking, and are very careful in public areas.  Using the elevators, we will share with a max of 2 others who are masked.  If more than 2 with masks or any number of unmasked enter the same elevator, then we leave.  

There are notices about masking being recommended all over the ship and during the morning/evening briefings by Captain/CD they continually remind pax that masks are recommended.

Overall we are comfortable with the way it is, but continue to take our own precautions.

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I would say that just over 50% of pax are masked.  Crew are 100% masked.  We have had a few 'neck breathers' too!

We are wearing masks continually, except when eating and drinking, and are very careful in public areas.  Using the elevators, we will share with a max of 2 others who are masked.  If more than 2 with masks or any number of unmasked enter the same elevator, then we leave.  

There are notices about masking being recommended all over the ship and during the morning/evening briefings by Captain/CD they continually remind pax that masks are recommended.

Overall we are comfortable with the way it is, but continue to take our own precautions.

Thanks, well spoken, we will be boarding in a couple of weeks and intend to do the same.

• Like 1

Lerwick has been cancelled!

The Captain made the announcement at 7.45 this morning that because of winds of 30/35 knots and the expectation that they would increase further this afternoon, he had taken the decision to cancel the port call.

We are now rocking and rolling our way to Invergordon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems that during the night the winds increased as did the sea swells.  This is what DW is telling me.  She says that when she went to the bathroom and 4.15 am, she had to hold on to everything to get there and back safely.  She says that my contribution to her safety was a few snores and a grunt.🤫

I had a good nights sleep apart from the time I was disturbed by a banging bathroom door. ooops!😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2