Almost Live: Northern Isles on Rotterdam August 28th 2022

VMax1700

Friday morning we had a nice sail in to Akureyri though it was still a bit foggy.  The bow was opened for viewing and there was a commentary by the Cruise and Travel Director Tjalling.

We gained an hour on Wednesday night and another hour on Thursday night so we are now only 4 hours ahead of E.T. 

Arriving in to Akureyri

DSCN2795.thumb.JPG.eebc809559d93f492a4edb443fa3420f.JPG

DSCN2798.thumb.JPG.4adec1354176a0f36210bf8d141b7ad3.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@puppycanducruise

Regarding your question about staying in Hotel New York.........let's put it this way, if this will be the only time you sail from Rotterdam, then yes it is worth staying there simply for the atmosphere and memorabilia and the very short walk to the terminal.

We have a cruise booked next year currently slated to sail from Amsterdam and if it is moved to Rotterdam then we will probably stay at the Rotterdam Hilton again.

It was great to do Hotel New York once, but once is enough.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cruisetrekker said:

Did you do a ship tour in Akureyi ?

Yes, the tour to Santas Gift store, the museum and botanical gardens.

It was ok.

I had been on walkabout in the morning.  It is a very small town.

DSCN2817.JPG

DW checking that there really is only 113 days until Christmas Day!

The bike museum that I wanted to visit, but it was closed today.

DSCN2808.thumb.JPG.b3b00cd6ef3515ade7c95d2ceb8cf6b3.JPG

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 9/2/2022 at 10:47 PM, VMax1700 said:

The davitts can slide outwards hydraulically

Actually the davitts operated with cables and pulleys!  In Isafjordur today they used the tenders and I got this image of the empty davitts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2022 at 6:07 PM, VMax1700 said:

@puppycanducruise

Regarding your question about staying in Hotel New York.........let's put it this way, if this will be the only time you sail from Rotterdam, then yes it is worth staying there simply for the atmosphere and memorabilia and the very short walk to the terminal.

We have a cruise booked next year currently slated to sail from Amsterdam and if it is moved to Rotterdam then we will probably stay at the Rotterdam Hilton again.

It was great to do Hotel New York once, but once is enough.  

Thanks for your honest answer.  We sailed from Rotterdam a few years ago on the Norse Legends cruise but we stayed for several days in Amsterdam before the cruise (so much to do there) and took the train and then a taxi to the ship the day we sailed.  We thought it might be nice to stay in Rotterdam this time and explore Rotterdam a bit. 

4 hours ago, Dunmore2 said:

Yes, those menus have many nice choices. I’m getting worried because I haven’t seen a bread pudding photo lately. 

The best bread pudding was on the breakfast menu in the MDR every morning. Other than that it was available almost everyday at lunch at the Rise station n the Lido

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Cruisetrekker said:

The best bread pudding was on the breakfast menu in the MDR every morning. Other than that it was available almost everyday at lunch at the Rise station n the Lido

I commented “tongue in cheek”, as @VMax1700 is noted for his decadent bread pudding photos. I’ll have to check out the mdr breakfast version  in November. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1