QE Barcelona Fly Cruise Blog

rakkor

We're back on board QE for our fourth post Covid cruise. This time it's our first fly cruise, sailing out of Barcelona on a 14 night round trip in PG. This is also our first Grills cruise when the weather is pretty much guaranteed to be splendid for our whole holiday and Jane wants to take advantage of sunbathing on the Grills terrace.

The Covid restrictions have been pretty much relaxed with only a couple of guests seen to be wearing masks, on the other hand all the staff are fully masked still.

If interested my blog can be followed at https://blog.rakkor.uk  but I shall post here as well answering any questions posed.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Should have read your blog before asking ! Did you make your own flight and transfer arrangements?

It went surprisingly well, I'd booked a people carrier from ziptransfers as they had the cruise terminal as a destination and at 45 Euros way cheaper than our Taxi to LGW. Embarkation was far smoother that Ocean Terminal as well, but the volumes of pax boarding are way less.  I did make  a big mistake which I'm kicking myself for which was not booking business class with BA which with the extra luggage would have been about £150 cheaper than Easyjet with the option to fly from London City which is a much more pleasant experience. On my last two boys weekends away I'd done exactly this taking my Bike to Majorca as a second piece of luggage.

• Like 2

The ship's internet in room 4089 seems OK, a bit weak lying on my bed, but sat at the table it's OK. It's a lovely morning here on a millpond smooth Med, you couldn't have noticed we were at sea unless you opened the curtains.

I think I'll sign up one day at a time to the plan as  this cruise is port intensive and I should have access to mobile comms every other day at least.

• Like 2

Nice blog report and interesting to hear that the steamer chairs on the promenade deck have been nicely refurbished with their new blue livery.  I wonder if the same is the case on Queen Victoria?  Perhaps someone on QV could report whether that is the case?

8 hours ago, rakkor said:

The ship's internet in room 4089 seems OK, a bit weak lying on my bed, but sat at the table it's OK. It's a lovely morning here on a millpond smooth Med, you couldn't have noticed we were at sea unless you opened the curtains.

I think I'll sign up one day at a time to the plan as  this cruise is port intensive and I should have access to mobile comms every other day at least.

Yes using the mobile phone 4G or similar at ports is very useful to extend the daily ship internet purchases. Though I am still on an old (quite a few years old!) mobile phone data plan which has no additional cost for using data in Europe, at the moment.  However if I upgraded my plan to a new one, then I would have to buy data if I wanted to use the phone in Europe, so it is a decision dilemma!  4G is generally fine, but there are cheaper tariffs now, even for 4G, and of course 5G is now available in a lot of places too!

It's been lovely onboard today, not too hot with a slight breeze and a millpond smooth sea. One thing we've noticed is that after being hot outside, then coming indoors, it's quite chilly. There does seem to be a lot of sunbed hogging - I had a look down to the pool from the grills terrace and there were a lot of beds with towels and a book or hat reserving them. That doesn't seem to be an issue on the grills terrace, but a lot of lazy people can't be bothered throwing their towel in the bins provided when they've finished.

IMG_20220830_124122_2.thumb.jpg.6856ae27b2a42920f176665d4e1c6890.jpg

Today's nonsense can be read at https://blog.rakkor.uk

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

Yes using the mobile phone 4G or similar at ports is very useful to extend the daily ship internet purchases. Though I am still on an old (quite a few years old!) mobile phone data plan which has no additional cost for using data in Europe, at the moment.  However if I upgraded my plan to a new one, then I would have to buy data if I wanted to use the phone in Europe, so it is a decision dilemma!  4G is generally fine, but there are cheaper tariffs now, even for 4G, and of course 5G is now available in a lot of places too!

I have had no complaints at all about the on board wifi today. I've used it everywhere I've been and not had any issues other than having to relogin a couple of times.

• Like 2

We're also on board at the moment 29 Aug-5 Sep.  

Flew BA (on Iberia metal) from LHR after a night at the very basic Thistle Heathrow. Pods to T5 worked quickly.  Checked in at 0530 for 0905 flight.  

Booked independently using frequent flyer miles on a companion voucher so in economy.  As Silver booked an exit row.  If we weren't Silver with BA we would not have been allowed to check in until 0705.   It also allows 2 pieces of luggage each at 23kg.

We had originally booked 0615 flight but that got cancelled so moved to this one.  

Busyish flight but a couple of spare rows, at the back.  

Collected luggage and spoke to a few who were joining QE with transfers booked.   

We hopped in a cab outside - flat fare of 39 Euros.  

Fast check in at 1pm, only 4 other couples around.    Straight to suite to drop of hand luggage and to QG restaurant for lunch.  

After lunch, luggage arrived, unpacked, had champagne on balcony and wandered around to say hi to staff we know. 

Grills lounge for a drink at 7.45pm and dinner after which was lovely. Have a table for 2 in the window.  

On balcony for departure at 11.30pm. 

No breakfast as still full from night before. Sea is like a millpond and sun is On starboard side (we're on portside).  Still warm at 27 degrees.  Lots of people on steamer chairs on deck 3.  

Talk on Donald Campbell (Bluebird) at 10.15am and Diamond World Club lunch in Verandah.  

Premium Internet worked best for us as a diamond member as only 6 days remaining  so chose premium option as works out free being diamond member.

Red/Gold gala night tonight. 

IMG_20220830_182248.jpg

IMG_20220830_182309.jpg

Edited by Lynnewob
  • Like 4

Cannes was lovely this morning, what wasn't was some hydraulic pump running at full chat at 06:30. We're off on a tour to Old Antibes this morning so we needed to be up bright and early, just not in that manner.

I've updated yesterday's blog entries with the evenings nonsense https://blog.takkor.uk

• Like 1

Thank you rakkor, enjoyed reading the review so far.

if you get the chance could you kindly take a picture of the drinks menu in the Commodore Club?  

We are thinking of taking the drinks package for our cruise on QE next month but I heard some of the cocktails prices have increased, so if our favourites are now over $12 we won’t bother. 

16 hours ago, Lynnewob said:

IMG_20220830_182248.jpg

IMG_20220830_182309.jpg

A question, please, regarding the CWC internet benefit during this QE mediterranean season: If one stays for two weeks, not one, does one get the benefit only once or twice, ie. each week? 

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

A question, please, regarding the CWC internet benefit during this QE mediterranean season: If one stays for two weeks, not one, does one get the benefit only once or twice, ie. each week? 

We are only getting it the once, if that changes though I'll let you know

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

That's a question that's occurred to me, too. We're going for four weeks on 15th September, Southampton - New York - Canada - New York - Southampton. It's being sold as separate trips, but we've booked it as one voyage from Southampton to Southampton. It would be great if our Platinum Wifi allowance was renewed for each segment, but I have no idea and not holding out too much hope!

1 hour ago, Wordzz said:

That's a question that's occurred to me, too. We're going for four weeks on 15th September, Southampton - New York - Canada - New York - Southampton. It's being sold as separate trips, but we've booked it as one voyage from Southampton to Southampton. It would be great if our Platinum Wifi allowance was renewed for each segment, but I have no idea and not holding out too much hope!

on our 28n Southampton round trip to Caribbean this Jan we got a second helping after leaving Tortola this was also the case on our 21 n round trip in 19  via Iceland Canada and NY, second 8 hours after leaving NY this was of course under the old  system

I've uploaded the latest of today's nonsense to https://blog.rakkor.uk - All of a  bit of a rush as I needed to get it done before be go out of range of 4G leaving Cannes, we're in Livorno tomorrow so will get 4G again there so no need to waste and OBC on the WIFI untilt the day after.

• Like 1