Alternative dining in King's Court - Smokehouse

gengens

Just wondering if anyone has had Smokehouse, the American alternative dining, on one of their recent QM2 voyages. I've only heard people mention Bamboo and Coriander recently. Due to travel next week and hoping it might be on as it was one of my favourite meals I've ever had when I did a crossing in 2019.

On a recent voyage in July the three offered were La Piazza, Bamboo and Coriander. All a $25 cover charge. Steakhouse at the Verandah was $45 cover charge but no smokehouse offering in Kings Court alternative dining.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yaldi said:

On a recent voyage in July the three offered were La Piazza, Bamboo and Coriander. All a $25 cover charge. Steakhouse at the Verandah was $45 cover charge but no smokehouse offering in Kings Court alternative dining.

Same thing for our crossing in June.  Just these 3 in Kings Chaos, no Smokehouse.

• Like 1

The five standard themes in the Kings Court Alternative Dining venue used to be Coriander (Indian), Bamboo (Pan Asian), La Piazza (Italian), Smokehouse (American) and Aztec (Mexican).

Recently I saw the themes for Kings Court Alternative Dining listed in a Cunard FAQ as "Nordlys (Norway only), Riviera (Mediterranean only), La Piazza, Bamboo, Coriander." The Nordlys theme was introduced recently on a QV Norway cruise (although it sounded like that was in the Verandah). I haven't heard if the Riviera theme has been introduced on Mediterranean cruises.

Now I can't find that FAQ talking about the Nordlys and Riviera themes anymore. The FAQ I think I was looking at is back to listing the five standard themes from the past, including Smokehouse and Aztec. I don't know if that's an indication Smokehouse and Aztec are coming back or if that's just old information that has resurfaced.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The five standard themes in the Kings Court Alternative Dining venue used to be Coriander (Indian), Bamboo (Pan Asian), La Piazza (Italian), Smokehouse (American) and Aztec (Mexican).

Recently I saw the themes for Kings Court Alternative Dining listed in a Cunard FAQ as "Nordlys (Norway only), Riviera (Mediterranean only), La Piazza, Bamboo, Coriander." The Nordlys theme was introduced recently on a QV Norway cruise (although it sounded like that was in the Verandah). I haven't heard if the Riviera theme has been introduced on Mediterranean cruises.

Now I can't find that FAQ talking about the Nordlys and Riviera themes anymore. The FAQ I think I was looking at is back to listing the five standard themes from the past, including Smokehouse and Aztec. I don't know if that's an indication Smokehouse and Aztec are coming back or if that's just old information that has resurfaced.

Thank you. Could you link to the FAQ where they're listed? 

I was looking for this a couple of week's back - and only found a 'Dinner at the Lido' page https://www.cunard.com/en-us/activity-types/dining/dinner-at-the-lido omitting any mention of rotating themes.

Hopefully this is simply yet another example of inept web site design and content. Perhaps folks posting a 'live from QM2' thread can fill in some of the blanks [assuming they can get some of the WiFi they will be paying for]

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gengens said:

Thank you. Could you link to the FAQ where they're listed? 

It's on a FAQ intended for travel agents. Although it is accessible to the general public (that's me), I hesitate to post a link to it for that reason. But I will quote the portion relevant to this discussion.

"Part of the Kings Court restaurant will transform at night to offer:

o   Aztec (Mexican)

o   Coriander (Indian Bistro)

o   Bamboo (Pan Asian)

o   La Piazza (Italian)

o   Smokehouse (American)"

The same FAQ goes on to list the planned alternative dining venues for Queen Anne, so I'd like to think it's reasonably up-to-date.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I just found the FAQ that talks about Nordlys and Riviera and excludes Smokehouse and Aztec. Sorry that I feel I should be vague about where to find these details for yourself.

The first FAQ quoted above is from the answer to the question "What are the alternative dining venues on board?"

Another FAQ for the question "What restaurants are on each ship?" states the following about alternative dining on QM2.

"Alternative Dining (cover charge applies)

Steakhouse at the Verandah - Deck 8

King's Court Alternative Dining (Nordlys (Norway only), Riviera (Med only), La Piazza, Bamboo, Coriander) - Deck 7"

So, as often happens, we have two sections of the same FAQ providing different answers.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Kings Chaos, I love it! (The name, not the venue)  I have yet to see Aztec in rotation when I've been on QM2. I would like to try that one. 

We tried Aztec once on the QM2 quite a few years ago.  Not recommended.  Hard to create quality Mexican cuisine on an English ship with a bunch of Asian cooks.

4 hours ago, tv24 said:

We tried Aztec once on the QM2 quite a few years ago.  Not recommended.  Hard to create quality Mexican cuisine on an English ship with a bunch of Asian cooks.

She may, at a pinch, be British, though prices are in dollars, and men are enjoined to wear tuxedoes, but she is certainly not English. And why do Asian chefs, sorry cooks, come in bunches? It sounds a little dismissive, I’m not sure why.