Passport renewal

Senga

We have 2 cruises booked for next year; May and September.  SO glad I read and was reminded that your passport must be valid for 6 months AFTER the travel.  Ours expire January 2024 which isn’t good enough.  We got an appointment at Service Canada for OCTOBER 28th - first available!  
Taking care of it early means we won’t be stressed out.

• Like 3

Just picked up my new passport yesterday for a September 7 cruise.  The turnaround time was 2 weeks/10 business days in Victoria.  Relatively smooth process.

Keep in mind that there may be other reasons for passport renewal.  My 10 year passport had 2 years left till expiry but no clear pages remaining.  For longer cruises there may be requirements for several clear pages for application of visas and entry stamps.  An upcoming (2023) Oceania cruise requires a minimum of 6 clear pages.  Oceania's Around the World cruise requires 10 clear passport pages.

I was under the impression that for  Canadian citizens and Canadian passports, it is not necessary for the passport to be valid for 6 months from the date of entry into Canada.  Have I missed something?  My passport (10 years) expires next July but I'm hoping to be away over the winter and will have less than 6 months remaining on my passport when I return.  If that is likely to be a problem, I'll apply early have been avoiding doing that due to all the passport wait time issues etc.  

2 minutes ago, netpj said:

I was under the impression that for  Canadian citizens and Canadian passports, it is not necessary for the passport to be valid for 6 months from the date of entry into Canada.  Have I missed something?  My passport (10 years) expires next July but I'm hoping to be away over the winter and will have less than 6 months remaining on my passport when I return.  If that is likely to be a problem, I'll apply early have been avoiding doing that due to all the passport wait time issues etc.  

For entry into Canada, it just has to be valid. If it expires the following day, that's fine. But the issue of having 6 months validity remaining on your passport applies to visiting other countries, not re-entry to Canada. No all have this requirement, but a good number.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Brentwood Bay said:

Just picked up my new passport yesterday for a September 7 cruise.  The turnaround time was 2 weeks/10 business days in Victoria.  Relatively smooth process.

Keep in mind that there may be other reasons for passport renewal.  My 10 year passport had 2 years left till expiry but no clear pages remaining.  For longer cruises there may be requirements for several clear pages for application of visas and entry stamps.  An upcoming (2023) Oceania cruise requires a minimum of 6 clear pages.  Oceania's Around the World cruise requires 10 clear passport pages.

One used to be able to get pages added to a passport, is this no longer an option?

37 minutes ago, netpj said:

Canadian citizens don't need a valid passport to enter Canada. They do have to be able to prove citizenship. However, if cruising to Canada don't expect a cruise line to distinguish requirements for Canadians from all other visitors.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, broberts said:

One used to be able to get pages added to a passport, is this no longer an option?

No, they stopped this a few years ago. I think it was with the introduction of the ePassports.

Passport validity

My valid passport is filled with visa stamps. Can I add more pages or replace it for free?

No. If your passport is full, you must renew it and pay the fees. You may apply for the five-year validity period if you think you’ll be running out of pages in a short time period.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, netpj said:

Not a requirement to come back to Canada but it is usually a requirement to enter other countries and does very from country to country.   

• 3 months later...
On 8/30/2022 at 11:04 AM, Brentwood Bay said:

That is a good remainder about having enough clear pages.