Carnival Redesigning the VIFP program?

gazingm42

On 9/7/2022 at 6:47 AM, ShakyBeef said:

I have had this issue with carnival since waaaaay before COVID.  In fact, I haven't cruised since the restart.  The constant cutbacks have been happening for at least the last 15 years.  It's main reason I come back to CruiseCritic after booking each cruise  - to research what new cutbacks have occurred since my last cruise.  This is partially to adjust my expectations and get my disappointment out of the way before Embarkation Day, and partially to find out what I need to add to my packing list to DIY my cruise comfort because of these cutbacks.  I've been saying this for years here.  I've never been one to enjoy saying "I told you so".   So although I'm slightly amused,  I'm also a little sad to see some of the former Carnival Cheerleaders here that would jump on me in the past with unbridled vitriol for having the nerve to mention cutbacks being some of those complaining about the cutbacks now. 

Too funny I come upon this thread today!!.  I was just reading a news article about the things Carnival is bringing back and adding!  LOL!!   listed things like The Afternoon Tea, various parties, The Chocolate Buffet, etc.  With more complimentary new things to come, like the new salad buffet in the Serenity, which is nice.  🙂   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, linga said:

Too funny I come upon this thread today!!.  I was just reading a news article about the things Carnival is bringing back and adding!  LOL!!   listed things like The Afternoon Tea, various parties, The Chocolate Buffet, etc.  With more complimentary new things to come, like the new salad buffet in the Serenity, which is nice.  🙂   

Thrown in some buffalo wings in the sports bar, and I'd be there! (not for the sports, but for the wings 😉 )

Tom

• Like 3

On 9/7/2022 at 2:00 PM, DrSea said:

I can't imagine they would be. CCL is just penny pinching to maximize profits

There are no profits. The big 3 have billions of dollars of debt due to being shutdown for 13 months. If the listed cutbacks happened in a normal business environment then yes it would be frustrating. I can understand why they are doing it now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, linga said:

I am so looking forward to that salad bar on the Serenity during our upcoming Horizon cruise!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lele100 said:

I have to tell you Nothing compares to the free food offerings on Carnival that they have at lunch especially on the Mardi Gras, and on that ship even 5 free dinner options not just buffet and Main dining rooms, and about 10 free places for lunch.  Options I Love options, I get bored quickly

I know they aren't in the same class, but Virgin voyages (haven't been personally) and viking offer a lot for their included food offerings. 

2 hours ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

There are no profits. The big 3 have billions of dollars of debt due to being shutdown for 13 months. If the listed cutbacks happened in a normal business environment then yes it would be frustrating. I can understand why they are doing it now. 

Semantics. They are still penny pinching. I understand it is to get back into the black and necessary, but it is still penny pinching. 

10 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Semantics. They are still penny pinching. I understand it is to get back into the black and necessary, but it is still penny pinching. 

People joke about Carnival being the Walmart of cruise lines, but perhaps that is their goal. Walmart makes money. So get used to the people of Walmart on your cruise:

image.png.41ca238647da5e9c552f1d25481c3bad.png

image.png.a415cc036d5f4395e75c7226c012b527.png

image.png.35983125b1b5b375a4c196f7dc85fca1.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, icft said:

People joke about Carnival being the Walmart of cruise lines, but perhaps that is their goal. Walmart makes money. So get used to the people of Walmart on your cruise:

image.png.41ca238647da5e9c552f1d25481c3bad.png

image.png.a415cc036d5f4395e75c7226c012b527.png

image.png.35983125b1b5b375a4c196f7dc85fca1.png

I am all for letting ppl's freak flag fly. No problems here. I'm all for it. U do u beau. 

Again, my original point is that CCL is most likely penny pinching in order to maximize profits and minimize loss (hence my semantics comment). I don't think it has to do with the clientele. 

14 minutes ago, DrSea said:

I am all for letting ppl's freak flag fly. No problems here. I'm all for it. U do u beau. 

Again, my original point is that CCL is most likely penny pinching in order to maximize profits and minimize loss (hence my semantics comment). I don't think it has to do with the clientele. 

I don't see that we necessarily disagree. They are penny pinching in order to maximize profits and also want to be the low fare, no frills cruise line to attract customers. That is the Walmart approach. 

• Like 1

Just now, icft said:

I don't see that we necessarily disagree. They are penny pinching in order to maximize profits and also want to be the low fare, no frills cruise line to attract customers. That is the Walmart approach. 

Oh, I misinterpreted your message. I thought you were implying that I would be offended or not like the "Walmart" crowd when you said get used to them. Me personally, I am all for it. They bring a lil something extra and fun on the fun ship. 

Not my style, but I am all for it. 

Guest BasicSailor
1 hour ago, Moviela said:

I have a strict look the way policy concerning man bits.

So, you're not a fan of the former hairless chest contest 😉

3 hours ago, icft said:

What business doesn’t try to maximize profits?  We can debate which cruise appeals to who, but all business are in business to maximize profits.  That is the great thing about a free enterprise system. Businesses make their decisions and we as consumers get to decide where we spend our money.  And right now there are plenty of places to spend our money. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I predict they will add spending for additional VIFP points like HAL does.  I also predict they will add an additional level at 500 days like HAL does.  

Everyone complaining about the Carnival VIFP hasn't looked at the Princess program benefits.