Roatan & Costa Maya

amindu

Hi All - i am looking at a cruise that sails to Roatan & Costa Maya, we have never been to these destinations.  We will have a 3 and 1 year old, and plan on doing all excursions directly via the cruise line.  Are these "Safe" ports to travel to with kids?  I realize "Safe" is subjective and use common sense etc, but to those that have been there can you please provide some insight. thanks. 

If you want to feel safe then I suggest booking excursions with the cruise line. I wouldn't worry about either of these ports. I think that most ports are fairly safe but I have traveled to many places around the world and many of these would feel unsafe to some people. But on that note, I have never had anything happen to me or anything stolen from me. You just need to be aware of your surroundings, etc. 

2 hours ago, amindu said:

Hi All - i am looking at a cruise that sails to Roatan & Costa Maya, we have never been to these destinations.  We will have a 3 and 1 year old, and plan on doing all excursions directly via the cruise line.  Are these "Safe" ports to travel to with kids?  I realize "Safe" is subjective and use common sense etc, but to those that have been there can you please provide some insight. thanks. 

Ohhhh I am following, same “boat” never been to these ports & will have 1.5 yo grandson. Already trying to figure out what excursions would be fun, while baby in tow. 

Both are safe and have great things for little kids to do.  In Roatan we took our granddaughter (3) to the iguana farm and beach.  We booked with Victor Bodden for a private tour in case she didn't want to do something we could move on.  We also did the Monkey Business and she was talking about how funny the monkey's were for a year afterward! 

In Costa Maya there is plenty to do at the pier.  They have a pool and aviary.  There are also dolphins you can watch.  If you want to go to the beach Taxi's are readily available for $4pp each way.  We enjoy Krazy Lobster and just took all our grandkids there in June.  Beach to play on while adults can get an hour long massage for $20.  Great easy beach day.  Food is good and easy to get to once you find your way out of the port (it's kind of a maze as they really want you to stay there to spend your money)

Edited by arlodog
  • Like 1

In Roatan, cruise excursions to the beach usually include Tabyana beach. It's right next Infinity club beach that we usually take a taxi/shuttle to.

It's safe if you don't venture out on your own - like walking to town all by yourself.

Costa Maya is even better and safer - plenty to do at the port itself for free, or a short taxi ride to the Mahahual beach area. We usually go to the Blue Kay beach club - rustic and not crowded. You get two drinks and a chaise for your small cover fee.

If you bring a Cosco Scenera NEXT for your 1 yo and Cosco Finale for your 3 yo - you can take taxis.

If you don't - yes, it's a good idea to stick with the cruise excursions.

We have been to both ports more than ten times. We like the Western Caribbean ports. In Roatan, the ship docks at Coxen Hole. There is a small area at the port with shops. We once walked outside of the fenced area into town and I would not do that again. Too many asking for handouts. I agree with the two tour agents mentioned. Both also have booths inside the gated port area and are willing to sign up more passengers. West end beaches are nice. Some like Little French Key. Look on the boards that focus on both ports on CC. Lots of information to be found. Costa Maya port area is not to my liking. It is very touristy-shops sell mostly junk and I would rather get out and see other areas. We have never stayed inside the gated port as it gets crowded and there are other places to experience.

We have liked Maya Chan as an all inclusive resort. Lovely owners. They provide transportation to and from the resort.

There is also a water park in Costa Maya-but again look at the Costa Maya board for information.

I do not use the cruise lines for excursions. I read the port boards and read the experiences of others. There are many high profile tour agents in Roatan, but not so for Costa Maya. Most go to the malecon area to one of the many resorts. Taxis are readily available at the exit to the gated port area.

• Like 1

A tour organized through the ship will be absolutely no issue at either port.

The port complex at Costa Maya is huge and is a cross between a resort and a shopping mall.  No issue there at all.  There's not much to see right outside that complex, so there's really no reason to get out and wander.

1 hour ago, Loucat said:

We have liked Maya Chan as an all inclusive resort. Lovely owners. They provide transportation to and from the resort.

We loved Maya Chan, but not the age of OP's kids.  The drive to the resort can be a challenge to say the least.  We did take our grandkids, but they were slightly older.  Maya Chan is small and you must make a reservation with them.