Help! Internet price onboard. I can’t decide if I should buy now or wait.

I don’t know what what to do. The internet package is on sale. I don’t know what the regular price is if I wait. I believe there is a discount for Diamond Members of $25.99 off a package onboard. If the regular price is $24.99 per night then doesn’t it make sense to wait until you get onboard?  I want to do a 2 device package. 

28 minutes ago, Harley-Davidson_Family said:

Diamond Members of $25.99 off a package onboard. If the regular price is $24.99 per night then doesn’t it make sense to wait until you get onboard?  I want to do a 2 device package. 

The discount for Diamond is the equivalent of one day of Surf at the onboard price, so if they're charging 25.99 onboard for a single day of Surf, that's what you would get discounted off the entire package.  You're purchasing multiple days at that 25.99/day price (or more for Surf & Stream or multiple devices) so it's usually not better to wait unless you're going on a shorter cruise.

Edited by AshleyDillo
  • Thanks 1

Just buy now and if it goes lower you can cancel and rebook.  RCCL is actually very good about putting the $$ back on your credit card within just a few days when you cancel, so really you can book now while it is on sale and take your time figuring out what you want to do.

• Like 1

I've never had it make sense to wait until I'm on board to purchase internet, other than for a shortie cruise.

If you get 7 days of internet at $19.99/day in advance, that's $139.93 for the week.

If you wait until you're on board, you may get a $25.99 discount, but when you pay $25.99/day for internet, even with one free day, you're paying $155.94 for the week.

Just book it in advance when it's on sale.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Harley-Davidson_Family said:

If the regular price is $24.99 per night then doesn’t it make sense to wait until you get onboard?

You can buy the package in the planner and if for some reason the math works in your favor on board, cancel the pre bought package (for OBC) and buy on board.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! We booked before we got onboard and boy are we glad we did. Prices really are more expensive. We had no problem with sharing the 3 device Voom over 3 cabins. I used the free regular internet that came with Diamond perk. It worked out just fine. Just buy ahead of time. You don’t want to have to worry about this onboard.    Also, they say you can use the app with out internet but I never figured out how. Can’t imagine being there without internet. 

13 hours ago, Harley-Davidson_Family said:

Also, they say you can use the app with out internet but I never figured out how.

When you're on the ship, you can connect your device to the ship's wifi to use the app. 

It gives you access to the ship's INTRANET (just gives access the ship) without having access to the INTERNET (the World Wide Web).  

When you first connect, it will ask if you want to use "free wifi for the app" or a "Voom package for internet".  You just choose the applicable option. 

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

When you're on the ship, you can connect your device to the ship's wifi to use the app. 

It gives you access to the ship's INTRANET (just gives access the ship) without having access to the INTERNET (the World Wide Web).  

When you first connect, it will ask if you want to use "free wifi for the app" or a "Voom package for internet".  You just choose the applicable option. 

Lol, thanks. Guess I didn’t follow directions. Next time! 

• Like 1