Panorama trip cut short?

Matco

27 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

Yes! The Mexican Riviera is notorious for rocking and rolling, especially on the return North up the Baja Peninsula. I love it as long as you don’t go on the upper decks where the wind feels like you are in a hurricane. Our first cruise was on the original Jubilee in 1991. Boy, those smaller ships gave you quire a ride! On the last day it was crazy, the hubby was sick in bed due to the Montezuma ailment but drug himself out of bed in the late afternoon because he was determined to not spend his last day in bed. As we were waiting for the elevator a lady threw up in the fake potted plant. He looked at me, that’s it, I’m out and back to bed he went, lol! The whole ship smelled like puke but I had the best day wandering around feeling bullet proof and quite proud of myself! I love being rocked to sleep and find the rough seas exciting, going on the Panorama next month, looking forward to the ride home! 

Dramamine, lots of Dramamine lol! Cures you right up and helps to maximize your drink package. 😁   

On 9/9/2022 at 10:18 AM, SDPadreFan said:

Agree that it would be difficult for Navigator and Panorama, but Sapphire Princess only carries about 3200 (a little less than Radiance). Don't think Catalina has it's own tender service but don't know for sure.

Yes, it does have it's own tender service.

Edited by jsglow
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2022 at 7:57 AM, LaRue1975 said:

I think those ships are too big for Catalina. Does Catalina have a tender service or do the ships that regularly call there use their life boats? We are sailing on the Radiance in January and there are a lot of comments on long lines to get on and off the ship in Catalina. I think it would be impossible with 4000+ passengers on board. 

The Navigator visits Catalina Island every week, so it’s not an issue.  The boats used to tender are the same ones that take people from Pedro/Long Beach/Dana Point in the morning, returning in the early evening (tendering in between).  In the past, various cruise lines have secured tenders at the last minute, but perhaps the boats were being used or the cost was too high.  When I was on one of the tenders last month, the owner of the company was on our boat and commented that he was losing money off his current contracts due to the spike in fuel.

As you mentioned, it’s pretty much cold, windy and rocky year-round headed north… the exception being August/September/October but only if the weather cooperates.  We were going to take the 5-day Cabo trip on RCL, but I’m glad we didn’t.

2 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I’m sorry you missed PV. That’s so cool they did a goodwill bingo game for a free cruise!!! I think if all cruise ships and lines did that in a missed port situation, they’d have wayyyy fewer complaints! 

PV and Cabo are the marquees on an isolated itinerary in which many passengers travel across the country for.  Ensenada only became a port to justify the existence of weekend cruises from Los Angeles (in which foreign flagged ships must make a port of cal at a foreign destination).  Most of the ship gets off at PV and Cabo; while it’s hot or miss, a lot more people stay onboard at Ensenada.

While you can’t control the weather, I wouldn’t be too happy with a free $5 Bingo card if the ship missed Cabo.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 3:46 PM, Itried4498 said:

PV and Cabo are the marquees on an isolated itinerary in which many passengers travel across the country for.

Yes, I understand that.  Living on the west coast, we spend a fair amount of  time in Cabo and PV and have done this cruise itenerary several times, so it was not a big deal to us.  But you are right, there were passengers who had traveled from places like Texas and they were not happy to miss PV.  But I think Carnival did do their best by still getting us to Cabo and Mazatlán.  The technology is amazing - they were able to tell us exactly when we'd be closest to the hurricane (Monday morning at 5:00 am) and warned us of the rough seas, etc.  So we just took Dramamine and went to bed early that night.  

If you travel during hurricane season then you have to expect a possibility of a missed port.  I was on the Panorama on the Aug 27th sailing and was checking the weather every day so I get it.  But at the end of the day people chose to travel during that time.  I take the risk because we live in LA and have done Mexico so many times that a missed port does not really matter.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dharmapath said:

If you travel during hurricane season then you have to expect a possibility of a missed port.

If you're traveling to the Caribbean, sure.  But disruptive hurricanes aren't common on the West Coast.  You're far more likely to have a port cancelled for a variety of reasons...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baja_California_Peninsula_hurricanes