Her Majesty the Queen dies.

NSWP

On 9/9/2022 at 5:49 PM, Aussieflyer said:

We have just had the 96 gun salute at Parliament House which we can see out our windows. Whilst I have a soft spot for her maj, don't forget there were less than glorious moments in the way the family she led treated others, and of course the enormous wealth held by her (with a fight at one stage not to pay tax or disclose what she owned). Not to be political but to temper the hagiography with some reality.

We are close neighbours, Aussieflyer😊

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 5:49 PM, Aussieflyer said:

We have just had the 96 gun salute at Parliament House which we can see out our windows. Whilst I have a soft spot for her maj, don't forget there were less than glorious moments in the way the family she led treated others, and of course the enormous wealth held by her (with a fight at one stage not to pay tax or disclose what she owned). Not to be political but to temper the hagiography with some reality.

We are close neighbours, Aussieflyer😊

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

A remarkable woman, whose deep devotion to duty and service saw her working to within forty-eight hours of her death.  Elizabeth II has been our Queen for as long as my memory stretches.  I admired her grace, her dignity, her sense of humour, and her serene embrace of the occasional "put down" when necessary.  I have willingly accepted the monarchy because Elizabeth embodied all that a monarch should be, and more.  Now is not the time for debating the politics of moving to an Australian republic, and I applaud Nick Coatsworth's rebuke of Adam Bandt's attention-seeking and insensitive comments when the Queen had barely drawn her last breath.  I'm not sure I would support a republic, but, although Charles is carrying himself with gentle dignity in his grief, and appears to genuinely relate to members of the public as he walks among those gathered at the palace gates, I fear that will not last.  His sense of entitlement has always been enormous, and he has form in meddling in matters of state when he should be restraining the urge.  William, I truly believe, will be a monarch of the people, and will be as inspiring as his beloved grandmother.   Time will tell...

Vale Elizabeth, gentle lady. 

Beautifully said Linda.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, Netflix can only sustain interest so far.Books are getting- a workout  

5 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Books are always, always, good

One of the nice things about currently being on a cruise is not having the time nor inclination to watch TV. But our Kindles are getting a workout! They work well sitting on our balcony or in the Sanctuary.😊

• Like 5

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

It was always going to happen that there would be 'wall to wall' coverage of the Queen's passing and it is likely to continue until her funeral. Do what we did when we had had enough, turn the TV off and find something else to do.

Get on a ship. Surely they haven't ditched the MUTS movies to make way for BBC World on the big screen.

I am tuning in to the news channels from time to time, but the joy of Foxtel is the dedicated channels. Thankfully our weekend sport goes on, unlike the English soccer which is on pause.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

I tell you, I am getting heartily sick of the wall to wall coverage 

The TV has an off switch. As others have mentioned surely there are streaming options. I can understand sporting events in the UK being cancelled, but sports go on elsewhere.  I would say those even reporting on what some former staffer has to say is just lame. Perhaps report on what your country will do about the funeral etc. Who is going? will there be a military contingent? What local arrangements are being made so that you may attend or avoid depending on your viewpoint.

As it is the world is not likely to celebrate the life of a sovereign who served the role for 70 years ever again. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

Get on a ship. Surely they haven't ditched the MUTS movies to make way for BBC World on the big screen.

I am tuning in to the news channels from time to time, but the joy of Foxtel is the dedicated channels. Thankfully our weekend sport goes on, unlike the English soccer which is on pause.

Geoff no doubt the funeral will be beamed live on MUTS on Coral whilst I am on it.  Yes the UK soccer was suspended but the test match cricket at the Oval commenced.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

The funeral will be 11am 19th September, 8pm Australian Eastern Standard time. I will likely be in the MDR of the Coral Princess after visiting KI that day, it may well be on the big screen of MUTS.

Will there be popcorn?🍿 Will be chilly on deck under the stars.

A one-off Public holiday has just been declared for Thursday 22.09.

Crowds of people around the Opera House and Circular Quay last night.

People were quiet and subdued, taking pictures of the special illustrations. 

20220910_200828.jpg

20220910_200712.jpg

20220910_200651.jpg

20220910_200328.jpg

20220910_185755.jpg

20220910_184344.jpg

20220910_184152.jpg

20220910_183900.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Great pics, I will be down there Monday night precruise, I wonder if the illuminations will still be on?

A security guard said last night that the Queen will be switched off on Sunday. They MAY project the new king onto the main sail (And the ears on the other sails) for a few days...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

well i will be on the coral princess the day of the funeral & really hope they have a venue where interested folks can watch it in comfort rather than in their cabins. major event which i really want to watch in real time if i can but both then sides of my family are english & i enjoy the pomp, ceremony & history. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Will there be popcorn?🍿 Will be chilly on deck under the stars.

For you Les, anything is possible. It could be a late night.

I am sure anything done by the ship will be done with reverence. While you think of the traditional British brands having a connection to the queen, Princess Kate is godmother of Royal Princess.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

The TV has an off switch. As others have mentioned surely there are streaming options. I can understand sporting events in the UK being cancelled, but sports go on elsewhere.  I would say those even reporting on what some former staffer has to say is just lame. Perhaps report on what your country will do about the funeral etc. Who is going? will there be a military contingent? What local arrangements are being made so that you may attend or avoid depending on your viewpoint.

As it is the world is not likely to celebrate the life of a sovereign who served the role for 70 years ever again. 

Oh we are watching Netflix and mercifully SBS has not gone all out with the monarchy so could catch the Le Vuelta race,. The ABC however has not had a regular news edition for the past 2 days. Things continue to happen in the world and while the passing of the monarch is important in many countries, the world does not stop. 

1 hour ago, austromyrtus said:

well i will be on the coral princess the day of the funeral & really hope they have a venue where interested folks can watch it in comfort rather than in their cabins. major event which i really want to watch in real time if i can but both then sides of my family are english & i enjoy the pomp, ceremony & history. 

It will be on MUTS for sure in the early hours, but will be cold and rocking and rolling probably, looking at the wave forecasts around the coast of Southern Australia. I just finished packing, put in some Travelcalm tablets, lol. Drive up to Sydney tommorow precruise.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

It will be on MUTS for sure in the early hours, but will be cold and rocking and rolling probably, looking at the wave forecasts around the coast of Southern Australia. I just finished packing, put in some Travelcalm tablets, lol. Drive up to Sydney tommorow precruise.

The funeral starts at 8pm AEST on the 19th Les. I would imagine that TV coverage will start prior to that showing the RF arriving plus invited guests.  

Enjoy your cruise Les. Hope it is not too rocking and rolling or cold for you!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The funeral starts at 8pm AEST on the 19th Les. I would imagine that TV coverage will start prior to that showing the RF arriving plus invited guests.  

Enjoy your cruise Les. Hope it is not too rocking and rolling or cold for you!

I fear some cool weather and rocking and rolling around South Australia.  I have booked into 6pm dinners, suit me so I shall be able to watch the funeral, but probably will not, rather do other things, like what time does karaoke start ? lol 

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3