Manaus to Atlanta flights

Lazy1

We are booked on the Amazon and Caribbean Adventure sailing Jan 6, 2023.  We have had a terrible time with Viking Air regarding our return flight from Manaus to Atlanta.  Just recently on our MVJ page air section they have added the return flight with an airline booking number and flight times. No airline listed.  I called the Air folks this morning to choose seats and find more info.  The agent told me that the flight on MVJ was just a place holder and that the only thing he could arrange for us was an overnight flight from Manaus to Atlanta by way of Sao Paulo.  He also said that Viking may be working on a charter flight for our return.  I have been hearing the "Might be working on" story for months now.

We are too old to be herded around airports for almost 24 hours.  We are 119 days away from our departure and are considering cancelling the trip. Anyone have any advice?

Pay the Air Plus fee (usually $100pp) to select what flights you prefer and have Viking  Air book them. That's what we did. 

58 minutes ago, Lazy1 said:

We are booked on the Amazon and Caribbean Adventure sailing Jan 6, 2023.  We have had a terrible time with Viking Air regarding our return flight from Manaus to Atlanta.  Just recently on our MVJ page air section they have added the return flight with an airline booking number and flight times. No airline listed.  I called the Air folks this morning to choose seats and find more info.  The agent told me that the flight on MVJ was just a place holder and that the only thing he could arrange for us was an overnight flight from Manaus to Atlanta by way of Sao Paulo.  He also said that Viking may be working on a charter flight for our return.  I have been hearing the "Might be working on" story for months now.

We are too old to be herded around airports for almost 24 hours.  We are 119 days away from our departure and are considering cancelling the trip. Anyone have any advice?

4 minutes ago, Lazy1 said:

We do have Viking Air Plus for what thats worth......

Since you paid for Air Plus ---------- use it! Search for the flights that you prefer and call Viking Air Dept. to discuss and book. Ignore the voice prompts , press #1 and #1 again to get through to agent.

Before this gets too out of hand, let's look at some facts.

1) There is no non-stop service between Manaus (MAO) and ATL.

2) The only services from MAO to the USA are on Gol into MIA.  This operates only TWO days per week, once a day.

3) The only other "northbound" flights that would get you to the USA are on Copa through Panama City.  This operates on FOUR days a week, again once a day.

4) There are days where neither the Gol nor Copa flights operate.

5) Both the Gol and Copa flights are on 737 narrow-bodies.

Now, given those facts, it is very much so that the best way to travel from MAO to ATL is by going first to either Sao Paulo (GRU) or Rio (GIG) and then heading north on widebody service to the USA.  In fact, on some days, it is the ONLY way to get from MAO to the USA.

Also, FYI, there are no flights from MAO to Bogota or Lima, the two main air transit hubs of northern South America.

Since the OP doesn't bother to give us actual dates of travel, it's hard to research options.

Finally, as for being too old to be herded around for 24 hours:  There is a certain amount of responsibility that has to fall on the passengers.  Did you do any due diligence to research the airline situation out of Manaus?  Or did you just assume that there would be non-stop service into the USA with multiple flight options?  Or was this booked with the assurance that "someone else will take care of this"?

So....does the OP want to have some serious discussion of your options?  If so, give us your details.  (And for those who say I can look up their cruise info -- I'm not here to do THAT much research for someone else who didn't mention it.)

• Like 4

As you so eloquently stated in your response, flights north from Manaus are few and far between. Viking air has been saying that they might charter a flight(s) for this itinerary.  My question is if Viking charters flights for these difficult routes. By the way, the flight date is Jan 18, 2023. 

As Jim stated, I would not want to fly out of Manaus. Charter or not. It definitely is not one of the safer cities in South America. Personally I would rebook for a round-trip cruise that goes down the Amazon to Manaus and then comes back out. I believe both Oceania and Regent offer this cruise. 

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

As Jim stated, I would not want to fly out of Manaus. Charter or not.

I would have no hesitation in flying from Manaus.  The airport runway is sufficiently long, with no difficulties in approach or takeoff.  Both Gol and Copa are fine, first-world carriers with no history of safety or maintenance issues.

Now, if the issue is personal safety on the ground while going to the airport, I pose this question:  The city is dangerous to be in, going to the airport, yet somehow it is safe enough for the cruiseline to go there and for passengers to visit on a day stop?

29 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I would have no hesitation in flying from Manaus.  The airport runway is sufficiently long, with no difficulties in approach or takeoff.  Both Gol and Copa are fine, first-world carriers with no history of safety or maintenance issues.

Now, if the issue is personal safety on the ground while going to the airport, I pose this question:  The city is dangerous to be in, going to the airport, yet somehow it is safe enough for the cruiseline to go there and for passengers to visit on a day stop?

On the 2019 first half of the Ultimate WC passengers got mugged at the gates to the port.  The port talks for most SA cities focused on leaving all your valuables aboard and to not stray far from certain areas.  As a former ship captain I have been to many dangerous ports and I would put Manaus in that category.  

18 hours ago, Lazy1 said:

We too are finding it challenging to fly out of Manaus to San Juan on a later cruise then yours and are reconciled to having to take 3 flights.  The only 1 stop is only on a Monday at 3:50 am through Panama City to SJU on Copa.  So its to be Manaus to Sao Paulo, Rio or Brasilia for any connection to the US or possibly to Panama City or Bogota for us to San Juan.  Itineraries are anywhere from 19 to 36 hours.  We too are in our 70's.  Just be sure you get a comfortable connection time for you.  We will most likely be on Domestic flights within Brazil and then have to switch to the International terminal and go through passport check.  Also Viking will "heard" you to the airport in Manaus and make sure you get your luggage checked in.  But they will not be in any connecting airport to help you find your next terminal and gate.

13 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

On the 2019 first half of the Ultimate WC passengers got mugged at the gates to the port.  The port talks for most SA cities focused on leaving all your valuables aboard and to not stray far from certain areas.  As a former ship captain I have been to many dangerous ports and I would put Manaus in that category.  

We were planning to get a hotel in Manaus for a few days to explore the town and take day trips further up the Amazon.  After reading about the security issues, we decided to take a smaller ship (the Grand Amazon) further up the Amazon for our explorations.  Their 3 night trip begins the same day we disembark from Viking.  As check in on the Grand Amazon is not until 3 pm, we just have to figure out what to safely do between ships.  Viking is famous for wanting disembarking passengers off ship by 9:30 am.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

2) The only services from MAO to the USA are on Gol into MIA.  This operates only TWO days per week, once a day.

3) The only other "northbound" flights that would get you to the USA are on Copa through Panama City.  This operates on FOUR days a week, again once a day.

Now, given those facts, it is very much so that the best way to travel from MAO to ATL is by going first to either Sao Paulo (GRU) or Rio (GIG) and then heading north on widebody service to the USA.  In fact, on some days, it is the ONLY way to get from MAO to the USA.

Also, FYI, there are no flights from MAO to Bogota or Lima, the two main air transit hubs of northern South America.

Since the OP doesn't bother to give us actual dates of travel, it's hard to research options.

Finally, as for being too old to be herded around for 24 hours:  There is a certain amount of responsibility that has to fall on the passengers.  Did you do any due diligence to research the airline situation out of Manaus?  Or did you just assume that there would be non-stop service into the USA with multiple flight options?  Or was this booked with the assurance that "someone else will take care of this"?

So....does the OP want to have some serious discussion of your options?  If so, give us your details.  (And for those who say I can look up their cruise info -- I'm not here to do THAT much research for someone else who didn't mention it.)

Flyertalker,  maybe you know this answer.  Is 2 hours and 5 minutes enough time in Sao Paulo GRU airport to go from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3 for a domestic LATAM/Delta connection to an international LATAM/Delta flight?  I see there is a walkway between those two terminals reported to take 15 minutes time.  In this day of delays and airport crowds, it seems 3-4 hours for connections is wise.  Now airlines say to check in 3 hours before an international flight.  Since we are using the same carrier for both domestic and international, perhaps this requirement need not be met.

15 hours ago, Lazy1 said:

As you so eloquently stated in your response, flights north from Manaus are few and far between. Viking air has been saying that they might charter a flight(s) for this itinerary.  My question is if Viking charters flights for these difficult routes. By the way, the flight date is Jan 18, 2023. 

Even if Viking does charter a flight, you will most likely still have a connection or 2.  I believe for the Malta Welcome Back cruises in 2021, Viking chartered a flight to get there.  I recall it was from Philadelphia.  So people had to get to that city to go to Malta.

55 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Flyertalker,  maybe you know this answer.  Is 2 hours and 5 minutes enough time in Sao Paulo GRU airport to go from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3 for a domestic LATAM/Delta connection to an international LATAM/Delta flight?  I see there is a walkway between those two terminals reported to take 15 minutes time.  In this day of delays and airport crowds, it seems 3-4 hours for connections is wise.  Now airlines say to check in 3 hours before an international flight.  Since we are using the same carrier for both domestic and international, perhaps this requirement need not be met.

It's been a few years since I have been through GRU.  But to the best of my knowledge, domestic LATAM flights operate from T2 and all of DL flights are in T2. (T3 is strictly international) So I would say that you should be fine with 2 hours for the connect.  The advantage for you is that you are on a single ticket, so you and your luggage are through-checked for the connection.

I do want to commend you...you took the time to actually look at a map of the airport.  That gets you bonus points - and is something everyone should do when flying in/out of somewhere other than their "home" airport.  And even for that, one should always be on the lookout for changes.

In addition, I'm not aware of huge staffing issues at GRU as we have found at some USA and European airports.

11 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

It's been a few years since I have been through GRU.  But to the best of my knowledge, domestic LATAM flights operate from T2 and all of DL flights are in T2. (T3 is strictly international) So I would say that you should be fine with 2 hours for the connect.  The advantage for you is that you are on a single ticket, so you and your luggage are through-checked for the connection.

I do want to commend you...you took the time to actually look at a map of the airport.  That gets you bonus points - and is something everyone should do when flying in/out of somewhere other than their "home" airport.  And even for that, one should always be on the lookout for changes.

In addition, I'm not aware of huge staffing issues at GRU as we have found at some USA and European airports.

Thanks.  The itinerary for the Domestic indicates arrival at T2 and the departure for the International says T3.  That's when I began investigating how to get from one to the other.  T3 is apparently the new International terminal for long haul flights.  I always do a ton of research.  I also watch flight aware and bookmark certain flights of interest to get an idea of how often they are delayed or cancelled.  I have rarely seen any delays so long as to miss a connection or see a flight from that area cancelled.  So I do have a sense that the airline issues are not the same as US or Europe.

And yes, I do look for flights on the same carrier in order to have bags checked through until clearing into the US.

Edited by TayanaLorna

20 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Interesting.....is it a LATAM or Delta flight that departs from GRU.  Important to note the operating carrier, not the marketing one.  If LATAM, then likely from T3, if Delta from T2.  Still should be OK with a through ticket.

Viking gave me the flight number from GRU to MIA as DL 6058.  However when i looked up the flight on Delta it said operated by LATAM.  I assume the plane is going to have the colors and logo of LATAM.  I searched Flight Aware and it is currently running with few time delays and no recent cancellations.  Only difference is arrival time as Florida has DST now.

I do have a few more questions oh aviation guru.  🙂 The flight from Manaus to Sao Paulo GRU is DL 6200 or LA 3519.  When I look it up for current schedule issues, the Delta number is from Rio to Sao Paulo and the Latam number is from Florianopolis to Sao Paulo.  I realize airline summer schedules may be different then winter ones but is there a month or timing when they typically switch.

Next.  I know once we arrive in the US we need to collect our luggage and go through C&BP.  We have done this arriving international on American and connected to domestic American to San Juan.  It was easy peasy since as soon as we cleared in there was an American counter steps away where we dropped off the bags and checked in.  The current itinerary arrives in South Terminal but our flight home is American in North Terminal most likely D or E gates.  How do we get from South to North Terminal with all our luggage in tow?    I see an MIA E Train and the MIA Mover but they don't appear to travel where we need to go.

I am assuming our American flight will be a separate ticket and we arrive at American no different then anyone else coming in from the street.  American will not know we are connecting from an international flight.  We will need to check in at a counter, drop off our bags, pass through security and find our gate right? 

Last question:  Do you think a 3 hour connection is enough time given all the steps required.  If we miss the American connection, there are flights later in the day.  However we have always found flights between MIA and SJU full and given this will be March.... 

Thanks for your help.  And if you can't just tell me to keep Googling.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Viking gave me the flight number from GRU to MIA as DL 6058.  However when i looked up the flight on Delta it said operated by LATAM.  I assume the plane is going to have the colors and logo of LATAM.

It will be a LATAM aircraft, with LATAM crew.  The only thing about DL there is that DL is the marketing carrier.

I do have a few more questions oh aviation guru.  🙂 The flight from Manaus to Sao Paulo GRU is DL 6200 or LA 3519.  When I look it up for current schedule issues, the Delta number is from Rio to Sao Paulo and the Latam number is from Florianopolis to Sao Paulo.  I realize airline summer schedules may be different then winter ones but is there a month or timing when they typically switch

3519 becomes MAO-GRU at the end of October.  That's often a change time for seasonal flights, but nothing is hard and fast anymore.

How do we get from South to North Terminal with all our luggage in tow?    I see an MIA E Train and the MIA Mover but they don't appear to travel where we need to go.

The Mover just takes folks out to the rental car facility.  Do not take that.  The other trains are within concourses to move from one end to the other or to the E satellite.  To get South to North, you need to hoof it.  This can be done inside the terminal on any level by just walking.  Or, on the third level, there are moving walkways.  I do not remember if luggage carts are allowed on the belts - I do know that they are frequently out of service.

I am assuming our American flight will be a separate ticket and we arrive at American no different then anyone else coming in from the street.  American will not know we are connecting from an international flight.  We will need to check in at a counter, drop off our bags, pass through security and find our gate right?

It is possible that you will have one ticket.  The way to know if by the ticket numbers...if you have two of them, then you are separate ticketed.  If that's the case, you will need to go through the whole check-in process with AA at their check-in counters at MIA.  If you are fortunate enough to have this as one ticket, you should be able to through-check your bags at MAO.  You will have to collect them and go through immigration/customs, but the bags will already be tagged for SJU and you can drop them after customs.  Then just head to the AA concourses, do TSA security and off to your gate.

Last question:  Do you think a 3 hour connection is enough time given all the steps required.  If we miss the American connection, there are flights later in the day.  However we have always found flights between MIA and SJU full and given this will be March....

If you were on a single through ticket, I'd be fine with this.  If on two separate tickets, I would be concerned, as a delay into MIA would make you a "no-show" for your onward AA flight, which is much different than missing a "connection".  Because to AA, you are just starting your trip.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

It will be a LATAM aircraft, with LATAM crew.  The only thing about DL there is that DL is the marketing carrier.

3519 becomes MAO-GRU at the end of October.  That's often a change time for seasonal flights, but nothing is hard and fast anymore.

The Mover just takes folks out to the rental car facility.  Do not take that.  The other trains are within concourses to move from one end to the other or to the E satellite.  To get South to North, you need to hoof it.  This can be done inside the terminal on any level by just walking.  Or, on the third level, there are moving walkways.  I do not remember if luggage carts are allowed on the belts - I do know that they are frequently out of service.

It is possible that you will have one ticket.  The way to know if by the ticket numbers...if you have two of them, then you are separate ticketed.  If that's the case, you will need to go through the whole check-in process with AA at their check-in counters at MIA.  If you are fortunate enough to have this as one ticket, you should be able to through-check your bags at MAO.  You will have to collect them and go through immigration/customs, but the bags will already be tagged for SJU and you can drop them after customs.  Then just head to the AA concourses, do TSA security and off to your gate.

If you were on a single through ticket, I'd be fine with this.  If on two separate tickets, I would be concerned, as a delay into MIA would make you a "no-show" for your onward AA flight, which is much different than missing a "connection".  Because to AA, you are just starting your trip.

Thank you so much.  This is very helpful.

• 4 months later...
On 9/9/2022 at 5:20 PM, FlyerTalker said:

FlyerTalker,

we have our flights back to Dulles from Manaus upon completion of our Viking cruise. (3 Mar.)

We are booked thru Delta (by Viking air).

our flight from Manaus  to GRU is provided by Delta codeshare on Latam… GRU to Atlanta, then to Dulles on Delta.

My question is whether our bags would be checked through or do we have to pick up our bags and recheck them at GRU…haven’t found any specifics on this…

also, any difficulty getting from Latam arrival gates. To Delta gates….

thanks for any info

Glenn

I am curious as to what @FlyerTalkerthinks.  I was hoping that our codeshare AA/GOL from Manaus to Miami and then AA to San Juan would be a thru check.  The flights are on 1 ticket.  However those who have gone before reported that in Miami after collecting luggage and clearing customs there was no where to drop their bags for AA flight.  They had to go to the departure hall where all the people just arriving for their flights go, drop off their bags and then proceed through security to their connecting gate.  It could be that it's an international arrival to a domestic gate and that GOL customs and AA customs are in different terminals.  When we have arrived international on AA in Miami there has always been an AA desk right after customs and then security right after that.