Separate Cabin for Teens (ages 14 & 15)?

seagunthera

Does anyone have any experience booking a cabin for their teens?  I'm the only adult so I don't have another person over the age of 21 to attach to the extra cabin/ booking.  I know the site says teens must be 16 and older in order to hold their own booking (my son will be two weeks shy of 16 @ the time of sailing...sigh) but I'm wondering if there are any work arounds or something I am missing.  If it matters, I'm looking at the cabin right next door so that balconies can be shared.  TIA!

I recommend working through your CVP for this. I once booked a second room for my teens, but one was 17, one 16, and 13. We thought we'd have to split the adults across the rooms, but our CVP was able to book it just fine.  The rooms were not next door either.

2 hours ago, seagunthera said:

Does anyone have any experience booking a cabin for their teens?  I'm the only adult so I don't have another person over the age of 21 to attach to the extra cabin/ booking.  I know the site says teens must be 16 and older in order to hold their own booking (my son will be two weeks shy of 16 @ the time of sailing...sigh) but I'm wondering if there are any work arounds or something I am missing.  If it matters, I'm looking at the cabin right next door so that balconies can be shared.  TIA!

Yes, it can be done but needs to called in to Princess (either by you or your TA) as it needs an override and a TWID (Travel With ID) to link the bookings. Inexperienced reps will tell you it can't be done but it definitely can. One word of caution - if you are planning on getting EZ Air, you can't do that with the kids in a different room as the air requirement requires an adult to be booked on same cabin booking and the air will cancel if that requirement isn't met. If there is a workaround, I haven't found it yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, seagunthera said:

If you use a TA, have them call it in.  You don't have to deal with a CVP if that isn't your normal modus operandi.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

One word of caution - if you are planning on getting EZ Air, you can't do that with the kids in a different room as the air requirement requires an adult to be booked on same cabin booking and the air will cancel if that requirement isn't met. If there is a workaround, I haven't found it yet.

Now there's a potential PITA.  Teens of that age can certainly fly unaccompanied, so I don't understand it.  Especially with cross-referenced bookings and no doubt making identical flight arrangements.  Anyway, not likely something will affect us.

We did this many times.  The two cabins must be close together and the bookings must be "Linked" in the Princess system, and book the cabins with "no upgrade".      There are some cabins on some ships that have inside connecting doors - you may wish to look for that option as well.  Just like hotel  connected rooms.   

Either call Princess and hope to get an experienced agent, or use your travel agent to call and do the booking.  

They will link the dining reservations as well.   In the app add the kids  as your dining companions and book dining reservations for all of you.    

Do checkin for both bookings (each cabin has its own booking number) on the website using the link, or use the app - you have to log in and out of the two bookings.   It used to be that the parent could do the checkin for the minor kids' cabin on the old website personalizer.  With the new system I don't know if this is still an option or not as our kids are not minors anymore.  

If you have issues with the checkin and can't get to "green lane" for everyone, just bring all your paperwork to embarkation and check in at the port. 

Once you are onboard, all of you go to passenger services and they will program your medallions to open the cabin doors on both cabins.    Tell them to give you access to the kids' folios which are charged to your credit card (this used to be automatic but on my recent cruise they had to change a setting in the computer onship to allow me to see all the accounts that I was paying for with my card).   

Also we would inform the steward that we were all together and tell them to speak to us if there were any concerns.  The steward can also open the divider between the balcony cabins for you.  

Enjoy!  

Edited by CruisinFinsUp
  • Like 1

"For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for at least one person in each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. "

Assume you are a family group and you are the one booking.  Are you the only person over 16 years old? If not place the other 16+ year old in one cabin and you in the other. Once on board just change cabin occupants around.