Booking plane seats for cruise B229

pennib

Good morning. Anyone else trying to book flight seats in premium economy for Britannia cruise B 229 flying out of  Manchester on 16 December? We have been trying since 1 minute past midnight followed by numerous attempts this morning. Spoken to TA who say that you have to book with P&O direct and they (P&O) do not take bookings over the phone. So you have to use the website. We have had this problem before and it is totally unacceptable. We are of course within the 14 weeks prior to departure. Anybody got any ideas??

Social media is littered with similar tales, some blaming P&O, some TUI although how folk can be sure is a mystery to me as each will simply blame the other.  Simply put it would appear very few flights are available for seat booking for the Caribbean season as yet.  Yes it used to be 14 weeks but it certainly hasn't been the case this year or indeed last. The message I see from P&O is simply to keep checking the personaliser which will provide the link when available.  I would have thought the higher tiers will continue to be given 2 days to book theirs before the rest.  No solution, but everyone is in the same position and frankly there is not a lot any of us can do about it except look forward to holidays.        

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clubcardcruiser said:

Same for us and we fly on 5 November. Just keep checking regularly, they'll become available eventually I'm sure.

I spoke to my TA today and they told me they had an email from P&O today saying that they had hoped to have the Flight Booker running today but there was a problem and hoped to sort it soon. They will email when available. I'm going to check it regularly.

54 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

I spoke to my TA today and they told me they had an email from P&O today saying that they had hoped to have the Flight Booker running today but there was a problem and hoped to sort it soon. They will email when available. I'm going to check it regularly.

That's good news - thanks for the update!

Broke the habit of a lifetime today and booked the last two premium economy seats on our Christmas flight.  Nothing to do with cruising but amusingly we flew to Verona on BA yesterday.  Unfortunately BA had unbeknown to anyone booked a 40 piece orchestra plus their instruments on the flight which led to a mass stand down of passengers and very limited cabin space onboard.

Having twisted arms to get on we travelled legs asunder with our own and fellow passengers' luggage on our laps and under seats while, cellos, violins and cornets luxuriated in gently reclined seats and stewards offered them great love and attention.  As we are visiting Italy to see Andrea Bocelli in concert I kept very quiet just in case they were playing with him on Wednesday!

Quite an experience but I decided I'd like my next flight to be a bit more refined. Hopefully TUI will not be boarding the P&O orchestra and dance band from Gatwick on 16 December ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Stupid question time I'm afraid.  Just checked my P&O and note booking the premium seats has moved me from the 10.15 to 11.20 flight on 16 December.  I note from Gatwick that apart from these two flights there are 2 others operated by TUI in the afternoon.  I assume these are also P&O flights.

Never having booked these before apart from the smaller cabin and bigger seats are there any other perks attached that I should be aware of please?

I assume as nothing shows on my P&O account that this move to a different flight means that when seat selections open the system automatically shows me that cabin, am i correct in this belief?  Also do i have to pay extra to select my seat on top if my £399 each? 

16 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Stupid question time I'm afraid.  Just checked my P&O and note booking the premium seats has moved me from the 10.15 to 11.20 flight on 16 December.  I note from Gatwick that apart from these two flights there are 2 others operated by TUI in the afternoon.  I assume these are also P&O flights.

Never having booked these before apart from the smaller cabin and bigger seats are there any other perks attached that I should be aware of please?

I assume as nothing shows on my P&O account that this move to a different flight means that when seat selections open the system automatically shows me that cabin, am i correct in this belief?  Also do i have to pay extra to select my seat on top if my £399 each? 

Food is a bit better and lots of drinks. I paid extra to ensure we had 2 seats together. DW logged on again to ensure she sat somewhere else. Last time we were on a TUI holiday we got priority security and the lounge. I'm not sure if you get that on a P&O charter. Last time the TUI man gave me some little  bottles of  Brandy and Baileys ' for your cabin sir '. All very civilised.  Enjoy.I 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I was under the impression that seat selection was free.

7 hours ago, zap99 said:

Food is a bit better and lots of drinks. I paid extra to ensure we had 2 seats together. DW logged on again to ensure she sat somewhere else. Last time we were on a TUI holiday we got priority security and the lounge. I'm not sure if you get that on a P&O charter. Last time the TUI man gave me some little  bottles of  Brandy and Baileys ' for your cabin sir '. All very civilised.  Enjoy.I 😁

On a P&O charter flight using a TUI plane in PE you get the fastrack security but no lounge access.  Still have to pay to reserve a specific seat. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, clubcardcruiser said:

For the last Caribbean season it was £35 per seat per flight or £75 per seat per flight for emergency exit seats. Expect similar this year.

https://www.pocruises.com/frequently-asked-questions.flights.FAQ248.summary

Thanks.  I assumed (wrongly !) that the £409 extra for PE seats included seat selection. On normal TUI flights,  seat selection is free if you upgrade to PE.

• Like 1

You don’t get out for nowt these days I am afraid. Yes, you have to pay for reserved seats in PE. From memory the price quoted by a previous poster is (or was) correct. We like the cabin for the wider seats and if 2-4-2 we can sit together. I hate having to sit in the middle seats in economy.  Yes you get priority security and lots of nice food and drink on the plane. But  it is not in the extra penalty we pay for travelling from Manchester instead of Gatwick.

7 minutes ago, pennib said:

You don’t get out for nowt these days I am afraid. Yes, you have to pay for reserved seats in PE. From memory the price quoted by a previous poster is (or was) correct. We like the cabin for the wider seats and if 2-4-2 we can sit together. I hate having to sit in the middle seats in economy.  Yes you get priority security and lots of nice food and drink on the plane. But  it is not in the extra penalty we pay for travelling from Manchester instead of Gatwick.

I guess I probably knew deep down we would have to pay ! After all, you have to pay to select your seat with BA in Club.

Just as an aside, seat configuration is 2-3-2 in PE.

At least we got the promotional offer and didn't have to pay the £100pp supplement to fly from BHX.

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I guess I probably knew deep down we would have to pay ! After all, you have to pay to select your seat with BA in Club.

Just as an aside, seat configuration is 2-3-2 in PE.

At least we got the promotional offer and didn't have to pay the £100pp supplement to fly from BHX.

Which I assume  means couples not paying for the seats are far more likely to be split up.  

Did I dream it or was there an extra kilo or two of luggage at one point advertised for these premium seats?

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Which I assume  means couples not paying for the seats are far more likely to be split up.  

Did I dream it or was there an extra kilo or two of luggage at one point advertised for these premium seats?

Yes, the 2-3-2 configuration does make it more likely that you will be split up, at best you will be sitting one in front of the other. 

The weight allowance used to be greater for PE on TUI holidays. Not sure what the P&O position is.

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, the 2-3-2 configuration does make it more likely that you will be split up, at best you will be sitting one in front of the other. 

The weight allowance used to be greater for PE on TUI holidays. Not sure what the P&O position is.

From their website but no clue how much is offered, just cant weigh more than 23kg per bag:

Caribbean flight upgrades

On our charter flights we are pleased to be able to offer flight upgrades for an additional supplement. The benefits of upgrading vary by airline, but include the following:

• Increased baggage allowance~
  • Increased seat pitch
  • Priority check-in and fast-track through security at the UK airport
  • Complimentary drinks (excluding Champagne and sparkling wine)
  • Amenity kit on the outbound flight
Edited by Megabear2

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

From their website but no clue how much is offered, just cant weigh more than 23kg per bag:

Caribbean flight upgrades

On our charter flights we are pleased to be able to offer flight upgrades for an additional supplement. The benefits of upgrading vary by airline, but include the following:

• Increased baggage allowance~
  • Increased seat pitch
  • Priority check-in and fast-track through security at the UK airport
  • Complimentary drinks (excluding Champagne and sparkling wine)
  • Amenity kit on the outbound flight

No, just found answer on FAQs.  28kg for PE, 23kg for economy.

Edited by wowzz

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Not much use giving you 28kgs when P&O baggage handling is limited to 23kgs per suitcase, unless they allow to split 56kgs over 3 cases.

But P&O don't handle the baggage, other than on board ship, so not an issue. 

Mind you, I haven't got enough clothes for my suitcase to weigh 20kg, let alone 28kg. 

Just now, wowzz said:

But P&O don't handle the baggage, other than on board ship, so not an issue. 

Mind you, I haven't got enough clothes for my suitcase to weigh 20kg, let alone 28kg. 

Just saying that if you did put 28kgs in one case this may be rejected by P&O when you reach the ship.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Just saying that if you did put 28kgs in one case this may be rejected by P&O when you reach the ship.

Seriously John ? When have you ever seen luggage being weighed at any port ?

P&O clearly state that one of the perks of PE is 28kg of luggage. There is no way that they  will weigh 400 cases at Barbados in case one piece of luggage weighs 25kg.