Oceania cruiser just back from the inaugural sailing on NCL Prima. What did I think? 😉

Fredrik

Oceania is all about food, Regent is all  about service and NCL used to be (and in most part is) family friendly mass market big ships with a lot of nickel and diming. Well, we just got off the new Norwegian ship Prima and I must say we have never had food with that quality on any of the competing lines (Royal, Princess, Carnival etc). I am so impressed how mr Frank del Rio has transformed NCL, and our perception of NCL with this ship. This could mean so many great things for both Oceania and Regent since they have to up their game too.

In short the main dining room experience have really evolved and the Hudson’s is one of the most striking new dining venues in any ship. The restaurant is 270 degrees and no table is more than three more tables to the curved wall to the kitchen. Food comes out piping hot and is nicely presented. The glass windows are massive and every seat has a great view to the ocean. The menu is expanded but stays the way every night. Makes sense since NCL is doing mostly seven nights cruises and with 18 different restaurants you may end up eating here only once or twice anyway.

Another complimentary the local pub is open 24/7 with more gastro pub offerings, burgers and salads. The buffet that is incredibly small because of a brand new concept, the Indulge. The restaurant is all the way back on deck 8 and has indoor and outside seating. The only for fee part is the Starbucks and in upscale ice cream and patisserie. It’s almost like a trendy food hall with Indian, noodles, rotisserie, smoke house, salad bar etc. You sit anywhere and have tablets with a very extensive menu. You order from the tablet and servers will bring the dishes to you. So you want pad Thai, tapas dishes, ribs and a kale salad? No problem. At dinner they even serve tenderloin.

The speciality restaurants do come at a fee, but dining packages with unlined dining can be bought. The highlight for us was the French restaurant Le Bistro, Italian Onda by Scarpetta and the brand new Mediterranean fish forward Palomar. Food republic small plates, Sushi place, Los Lobos Mexican, Hasuki Teppanyaki and the suite restaurant the Haven rounds up the line up.

Finally what really impressed us was the wine lists and spirits offered. Almost all fares with NCL includes a basic drinks package that is standard beer, wine and drinks up to 15 dollars. Strangely specialty coffee, or even bottle water is not included. WELL, if you upgrade for 29$ Plus gratuities a day you get pretty much everything. Bottle water, juices, the entire Starbucks drinks at both their locations onboard (and they have the complete lineup including Nitro and refreshers), AND all wines served/glass. That includes Veuve rosé that is 35$+grat and even whiskeys up to 65$‘glass. We found it an unbeatable value drinking way more great wines than we have even done on O and R at a fraction of the price.

Of course this was the first sailing with 50% occupancy of the 3200max and with less than 20 children. On a full sailing in the Caribbean when school is out I would never dream of doing it again. But with five more ships on order it going to be interesting to follow how this will change the entire company. The ship is smaller than the biggest NCL ship and also has the largest space ratio/passenger for them.

How do you think this departure for NCL will change O and R? Looking forward to your comments.

3F1C1D64-65F5-4B67-B14F-38FE575DA298.jpeg

781FF3B7-D3B6-4823-9D38-9E932ADE3D65.jpeg

AB33A680-57DE-4375-B7C5-DBDC629031A8.jpeg

D2529C85-A673-45BE-B0E3-7613E8A95CDF.jpeg

0413B859-FD76-4C9B-B807-0C49007DD716.jpeg

D58C5501-8AE7-43C2-9B84-B68BCE36BE3B.jpeg

0AAC837B-0394-4212-826F-9140812C9258.jpeg

32A909AE-2AF9-42CE-816A-5C1A0CC17BF0.jpeg

255CCBA4-CA50-4353-8D97-2673F781172F.jpeg

98FDE5EF-EEE2-4730-BDA7-49658188B3B5.jpeg

Edited by Fredrik
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thank you, Fredrik. Great review.

We felt the same about NCL. Having cruised the same year on HAL, Regent and Crystal, we weren't expecting much yet were pleasantly surprised! Although it's not the line for us, obviously NCL is doing something extremely well.

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I would be happy if they could get  the food to the table  while it is hot 

JMO

4 hours ago, Fredrik said:

Food comes out piping hot and is nicely presented.

So apparently your wish came true!

• Like 1

Actually, the improvements on NCL are a direct result of the press by FDR and the many O and Regent execs he took with him to NCLH to improve a run-of-the-mill mass market line.

That said, improving NCL will in no way effect changes in its consortium partners. Rather, it will remain as always (since the formation of NCLH) with NCL learning/borrowing from O & R) what can be done at low cost while serving a larger population. And thus, NCL will be better prepared to serve as a feeder to its colleague O and R lines - prepping the next population of premium/luxury cruisers.

Just to clarify, I’m not sure we’ll sail with NCL again. Also no trying to pursued any one else to. I was just trying to point out that FDR is making big changes to NCL and in my book that is a great thing for Oceania since I believe O is also upping their game. Who ever you sail with, safe travels and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1