Saint Greg’s NOLA trips

Saint Greg

2 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

These pictures bring up a question I have. Do New Orleans Streetcars have a dedicated route, point A to point B? Or can you get on one and ride around for awhile like a Hop on Hop off bus tour on cruise excursions?

They have set stops like buses. For the most part they stop every couple blocks. Unless it’s changed the cost is like $1.25/ride or $3 for a daily unlimited pass.

There is a hop on hop off bus if that’s what you’re looking for.

https://www.citysightseeingneworleans.com

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Inkah said:

SG-- can you possibly help me figure out best deals on hotwire for this upcoming weekend-- Jan 28-29th?

Checking out on the 29th? Is there a particular area you want to be in? And do you need  just 1 bed or 2?

Edited by Saint Greg

23 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Checking out on the 29th? Is there a particular area you want to be in? And do you need  just 1 bed or 2?

need 2 rooms-- one for 2 people-- other for 3-- no particular area-- just want safe and nice-- yes checking out on 29th

Edited by Inkah
left off something

20 hours ago, Inkah said:

need 2 rooms-- one for 2 people-- other for 3-- no particular area-- just want safe and nice-- yes checking out on 29th

I'm assuming you need two beds for at least the 3 person room if not both. Some of these hotels allow you to chose your room type and some don't. When I need a two bed room I set the search to 2 adults and 2 children. That guarantees a 2 bed room. It sometimes eliminates options and raises prices a few dollars.

The cheapest right now with that search is a 4 star in the Downtown/Superdome area for $121. That's La Pavillon. I've stayed there a few times. If you want that fancy, historic feel. This one has it. They may still have a dooorman wearing a top hat. The hotel and bar have been used in movies. I don't know if they're doing this post-covid or not. But it used to be a thing to have a late night buffet in the lobby consisting of different types of peanut butter, jelly, and bread for sandwiches as well as hot chocolate. It's a tradition that was started by a guest who used to always order peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and hot chocolate at night.

https://www.lepavillon.com/

The next one is a 4* in the French Quarter/Mississippi River area for $149. This is Hilton Riverside which is probably the most popular cruise hotel. It's the one that is attached to the mall through which you can walk to the port.

Here is my article on it.

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/new-orleans-hotel-guide-hilton-riverside/

That's probably where I'd stop this. Both are nice hotels. It looks like after taxes and fees you could save around $40/room at La Pavillon. But Hilton Riverside is a better cruise hotel. If you just needed one bed rooms you'd have about 16 options in the $99-149 price range. The second bed kind of limits things.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, umtigerfan1 said:

@Saint Greg on a Sunday return to New Orleans on NCL do you know if the Riverfront Mall would be open to be able to walk back to the Hilton self-park garage. Or is it easier walking outdoors to/from the Hilton self-park garage? Thanks!!

I've seen that done in the past. I'm not sure if you can do that right now or not. Pre-covid I used to be able to get into the mall from the Hilton in the mornings. Lately they've been keeping it locked up. I'm not sure if that's the case on those food court doors or not. You may want to ask people who have cruised recently. It would stink to carry your luggage all the way up those stairs and then have to go back down.

You aren't parking your car at the Hilton for a week are you?

Edited by Saint Greg

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I've seen that done in the past. I'm not sure if you can do that right now or not. Pre-covid I used to be able to get into the mall from the Hilton in the mornings. Lately they've been keeping it locked up. I'm not sure if that's the case on those food court doors or not. You may want to ask people who have cruised recently. It would stink to carry your luggage all the way up those stairs and then have to go back down.

You aren't parking your car at the Hilton for a week are you?

@Saint Greg Not currently booked at the Hilton, was just noticing they were offering a good cruise rate and $20 a night parking duration of the cruise. Most likely not jumping on it as walking to the port is not doable with my group anyway. Thanks again!

• Like 1

We were in Nola a few years back after a cruise and ate breakfast in the French Quarter at a place on the corner of a street close to Toulouse St., that was all 50's style with the counter and tables done up in red seats. I thought it was called the Grill but I can't find it now. Do you know if what I am looking for is still around? 

1 hour ago, umtigerfan1 said:

@Saint Greg Not currently booked at the Hilton, was just noticing they were offering a good cruise rate and $20 a night parking duration of the cruise. Most likely not jumping on it as walking to the port is not doable with my group anyway. Thanks again!

Yeah I think parking at the port isn't much more than that and Fulton and Machu Picchu should be cheaper with transportation included.

1 hour ago, eltigre said:

We were in Nola a few years back after a cruise and ate breakfast in the French Quarter at a place on the corner of a street close to Toulouse St., that was all 50's style with the counter and tables done up in red seats. I thought it was called the Grill but I can't find it now. Do you know if what I am looking for is still around? 

Clover Grill maybe?

the-cooks-at-work.jpg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saint Greg I am sorry but I have to stop reading your posts. I have been trying to lose weight but the posts with food photos that you have are completely ruining my diet as I have to try them all out and the result is that I have to buy all new clothes for my next cruise. Could you please just post some of the worst meals you have ever gotten though I am sure that none of them will be in New Orleans.

• Haha 3

On 9/17/2022 at 8:36 PM, Saint Greg said:

I know there’s a chance for people from multiple cruise lines coming across this so for those of you who don’t know me…I have been on 19 Carnival cruises. 9 of them out of New Orleans. I’ve also been attending Saints games in New Orleans for 30 years. I’m a 17th year season ticket holder.

I wanted a place to put pictures of the hotels, food, and drink from my half dozen or so New Orleans trips this fall/winter. And maybe future years as well. This is the place. Content starts tomorrow.

Any insights on pre-cruise hotels in Slidell?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 4:36 PM, Saint Greg said:

I'm always coming from the West. I've never been up there.

Sain Greg,

Just booked a room at the Hilton Riverside.  The Hilton reservation number said they didn't have a cruise parking package.  However, I called the Hotel direct and the operator (located at the Hilton) confirmed they do have such a package.  You have to use the valet parking rate the first night ($44) and the remainder of the cruise is $20PD. I know Fulton is cheaper but we like the fact we can park at the Hilton and not have to move the car.  Their parking is inside a garage so there shouldn't be the breakin issues at the Whale Lot.  The key factor in our booking there was my wife saw a video of Dragos seafood.  She loves oysters.

Another factor.  I've been trying to book a room at the Hilton for several weeks and all I got was 'no rooms available'.  I asked the hotel and they said that several travel agencies with blocks of rooms on hold had released them.  

I truly appreciate all the assistance you have provided.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2023 at 3:48 PM, LincolnLog said:

What’s up Saint G? If you could only do one would you pick Acme or Drago’s for oysters? And did you say you’ve stayed at the Omni? Would you recommend it?

Dragos chargrilled are my favorite. ACME is good as well and if you’re trying to do acme and the line is too long, Felix’s across the street are good as well.

Omni Riverfront? I haven’t stayed there but I’ve said I need to sometime. It looks nice out front.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I'm here for the new season. Am not much of a football fan (except for cheering on the Oregon Ducks and following Tom Brady wherever) but I am a very big NOLA fan. Read all of your Alaska cruise review on Norwegian and admired your stunning photography. So I know that I'm in for a treat coming along on Saint Greg's NOLA trips. Thanks for posting.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chloes_mom said:

Are you able to take the street car from the ncl cruise port with luggage to your hotel? If not is the Hilton garden inn walkable with luggage from the port? Or Hyatt place? If not how do you get there? Do cabs or Ubers go that short of a distance?

Not sure on the street car. That station has been closed since before Covid due to construction. I know that’s over so maybe it’s open now. But I personally haven’t seen a bunch of luggage on street cars so I don’t know if it’s allowed or not. But the convention center/warehouse district hotels are a great option and usually you can get one at a good price. This is where you’re going to collect your luggage in relation to the hotels. There’s also a Marriott on this side of the Hyatt place that isn’t showing up for some reason.

IMG_4669.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1