Keeping Insulin cold during cruise

tectop

Bring a fridge thermometer, having found out the temp your insulin needs. At least on HAL, the cabin refrigerators are actually 'coolers' that reduce the ambiant temperature from the room's by so many degrees, but not to your kitchen fridge's temp. More like some home wine units.

On HAL, diabetics and others with meds that need to be kept cold, are cautioned to let the infirmary hold them.

ETA: Cole's link in post #3 says they have medical coolers for rent! New one for me. They then list which ships have mini-bar fridges, implying that they are cool enough... Trust, but verify!

Edited by crystalspin

3 hours ago, CGrey93 said:

mini fridge in your cabin will work,

The mini refrigerator in the cabins are actually not refrigerators, they are only coolers. They all have notices on the door saying as much.

OP really needs to contact Carnival's special needs dept. for their options, which another helpful commenter already posted a link to.

I don't know if all insulin is like this but the types I am familiar with can be kept out for up to 28 days with no problems. So unless you're staying on the cruise for over a month you're probably fine for insulin anyway. But talk to your doctor and Carnival's special needs department if necessary - don't take my word for it.

• Like 2

I have experimented with their refrigerators using a thermometer, and they could not consistently keep the temperature between below the required 46 degrees required for my forteo injections.

A week ago, I signed out a Medi-cooler from guest services (Dream) with a $75 deposit. It's small, and sits on the counter. It worked perfectly for me! I also purchased a two part thermometer - one part is a sensor that sits with the medication, and the other part gives readings constantly. Bring an extension cord with multiple plugs because this unit used up the one plug in the room.

2 hours ago, Mrgoodbar said:

They offer a medi-cooler for a small deposit.  Customer service desk will help you.  My husband is diabetic and we have used the little cooler on every cruise with no worries.

My husband checked with Guest Services for one of these and they said they had very few and they were already spoken for.  This was as soon as we got on the ship. This isn’t something that can be depended on.