Florence Questions

ajtraveler66

My challenge: stop thinking about how you can fit in all the highlights and meet everyone's needs in a day. It's been suggested several times by various posters on these Med boards that you should really think about what YOU want to see, do some reading and research. It seems to me, based on your questions, that you haven't really got beyond a "headlines" level in terms of doing that research.

AJ, I would add a suggestion. With the number of repeated threads you are starting within days of each other, I am thinking (perhaps wrongly) that you may be becoming confused and/or overwhelmed?

There is no denying that researching each port is actually quite hard work and time consuming so you are to be commended for taking on this task for four people with varied interests.  I think  you  would find it much more manageable were you to look at each port  in isolation, thoroughly research it, and only when you are satisfied, move on to the next one.   And the more you read, the better the "picture" of each location  will form in your head and the easier it will be to decide what suits YOUR interests.  

You may find your own way of managing your planning but perhaps our way might be helpful to you.

We open up a WORD Document for each, with the  name of the port, the day of the week, the date and the port times at the time of booking, but double check timings onboard and each time we arrive into a port and amend as/if necessary.  We read read read on the internet using many sources of info and copy/paste  all relevant info onto the document . The document can (and usually does) end up quite big, but when finished researching  a port, the document is then "tidied up" by deleting all non-essential info and putting the remaniing info into a sensible order which includes sights/points of interest in close proximity to each other being grouped together, (with any relevant opening hours) and public transport info as we use many forms of  public transport . And a uniform font and size. We then print it off.  We take our documents for each port with us and each time we arrive into a port we simply remove the relevant info sheet and take it out with us.  That way we know which are our priorities, where they are located, opening hours, and how to get there. This because we rarely do an organised shorex as we prefer to DIY specific to our own interests.  We almost always go to the furthest point first and work our way back towards the ship,

And although we may have a "to -do" list, we don't usually attempt to do all of it, which is why we prioritise the things which are the most important to us.  Important to not try to do everything as time spent casually strolling or enjoying a lunch or a coffee or drink, can be just as enjoyable.  And a couple of times we have actually almost abandoned our "plan" completely as we have come across an unexpected festival or event which is more interesting.  Having said that, as part of our port research we usually check each location for any special events taking place on our arrival date.

This post written with the best of intentions so hoping you are open to some of the advice despite not actually asking for it.......

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ajtraveler66 said:

Checking to see if anyone has used this tour company "Avventure Bellissime" Tours (www.tour-italy.com).

I am looking for a VERY SPECIFIC excursion, and I have finally found it with this company.  I'd like your opinion on their services, in general.

The specific tour is an excursion out of Livorno which includes Pisa, advance tickets at the Accademia to view 'David', and advance tickets to the Uffizi Museum.  Perhaps some of you have taken this specific tour.  Of course, there is more time to see other things in Florence.  But the above three are at the 'top of our list' to see, and this is the only excursion I've found that includes all three.

I don't recall seeing that company mentioned here before.  I have no reason to doubt that it is a fine company, but rather than jump on it, do a little more research among all the other well-regarded companies mentioned here and elsewhere.

This is how they all operate.  They all have a set of "standard" tours they offer which differ from company to company.  They also offer "custom" tours to suit your specific interests and requests.  Within a company, tours are priced by the amount of time they take plus admission tickets, so a 6-hour "standard" tour to Florence will cost about the same as a 6-hour "custom" tour.  Why don't you send an email to other companies detailing exactly what you want and ask for a quote.  In fact, send them the exact description of the tour you found and ask for a quote.  There is no obligation at all.  You can choose at the end by known reputation of the company and price.

Also, find out if they include some guiding inside the Accademia and the Uffizi or if they just take you there and hand you the ticket to go in on your own.

• Like 2

Although it's generally not recommended because you won't really experience Florence, if you are set on doing this, then I think that you can do it.  But it's going to be pricey, although the costs might not be so bad if there are 4 or more of you going to share the transportation costs, and likely hurried as well.

If you know your way around (i.e., be the de facto tour leader for your group), you might just want to hire a driver/taxi for the day to drive you, or hire a taxi to get you to Florence and then hire another taxi to take you back to the ship with a detour to Pisa for a quick photo stop of the Leaning Tower.

You'd have to book entry tickets for both the Accademia and Uffizi in advance.  The timing of the Accademia tickets should be early but not too early.  Keep in mind that even though it is timed, you still might have to wait 15 minutes or more to get inside the museum/gallery (but it's still much quicker than walk-up).  The time of the Uffizi tickets should be 2.5/3 hours after our Accademia tickets.

Go to Florence first thing and then go to the Accademia for a look at David and whiz through the museum.

Then walk to the Uffizi through the glorious pedestrian streets, past the Santa Maria del Fiore cathedral.

If you have time before your time to enter the Uffizi, you can explore the area around the Uffizi (e.g., the square in front of the Uffizi, Ponte Vecchio) or if you don't have time, then you can explore the area after your Uffizi entry.  The "must-sees" according to the gallery itself are these:  https://www.visituffizi.org/artworks/

About 2.5 hours before you have to get back to the ship, get a taxi to take you Pisa for a quick photo stop.  Then you can take another taxi back to the ship (or you can ask the taxi to wait for you, though you will likely incur a standing charge).

I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to hire a car/driver for a whole day or to just take one-way taxi rides for each segment.

An unfortunate part about such a hurried excursion is that you will have to eat quick-service or to-go food in Florence, which is pretty mediocre.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

It makes me sad when people try to pack everything into one short visit. Someone may ask you later what you saw, and what you thought about it. What a shame to have to reply “Well, I spent two and a half minutes looking at David, then we had to run to the Uffizi, and I think I saw a statue of Mercury, and maybe La Primavera, and the guy with half of his nose missing, but we were walking so fast, I’m not sure.” 

Try to squeeze in enough time to have a coffee somewhere, or a decent lunch with some amazing wine, or a gelato. Leave out the meaningless photo stop in Pisa. Someone is bound to ask you about it and you’ll have to reply, “Well, we were only there for five minutes. I don’t remember much about it. I just wanted the photo.” You’ll have a photo, but no memories. Italy to me should not be about cramming in every possible sight in the shortest amount of time. It should also be about experiencing the Italian-ness of it all.

• Like 1

Ir makes ME sad, when people don't understand that I want to be sure to see three things.

I have enough sense to KNOW that I'll be seeing much, much more than those three things.  To me the saddest thing would be to go to Tuscany and come home realizing that I missed seeing DAVID, THE LEANING TOWER OF PISA, AND SOME CELEBRATED MASTERPIECES OF ART.

I'm sure that there is a tour out there that will allow me to ENJOY the THREE SIMPLE THINGS.  I'd just like to find it.

Thank you for the suggested tour.  I'm checking it out.  And thanks for the other suggestions from all of you.

I really want to see these three things .... and I am hopeful and optimistic that I will see and enjoy much, much more.  I've also emailed some other tour companies asking if they can customize a tour for us that would include the three things I've mentioned.  

I'm sure that if they can do so that they will know how to fill our remaining time with things that will be of value and interest to us.  And by all means a nice leisurely lunch will be a part of that plan.

Thanks again for all of the input.

6 hours ago, ajtraveler66 said:

Ir makes ME sad, when people don't understand that I want to be sure to see three things.

I have enough sense to KNOW that I'll be seeing much, much more than those three things.  To me the saddest thing would be to go to Tuscany and come home realizing that I missed seeing DAVID, THE LEANING TOWER OF PISA, AND SOME CELEBRATED MASTERPIECES OF ART.

I'm sure that there is a tour out there that will allow me to ENJOY the THREE SIMPLE THINGS.  I'd just like to find it.

This is anything but simple!  You are talking about two different cities separated by about an hour drive.  And that does not include getting from the highways into the central part of the cities.  The Academia (David) generally involves timed tickets and queues as does the Uffizi.   Is it possible?  Yes, it can probably be done by using a decent private tour provider and private transportation.  I could do it using a rental car (we often drive in Italy) but still have my doubts about dealing with both the Academia and Uffizzi (a place where you could easily spend an entire day.   You might want to compare to going to a place in Chicago and than another place in Milwaukee (and than back home) on the same day.  That is the kind of day that would quickly mate me hate travel, and we have been extensive world travelers for over 45 years.

You might try to put together an itinerary (working with a private tour company) and then use the CC Roll Call board to see if you can find anyone else to share your day (and cost).  

A real interesting challenge would be to try and do this yourself using the train from Livorno to Florence, a train from Florence to Pisa, and then a taxi to get you back to the port from Pisa.  Even knowing their transportation systems, I would not want to even think about such a day.

My advice is cut your losses and cross Pisa off your list.  This will give you much more time (at least 2 hours) in Florence which makes doing the Academia and Ufizzi theoretically possible.  A combined entrance ticket (Ufizzi and Academia) costs about 50€ per person (this is not a skip the line ticket) which is a lot to see two works of art.  I cannot even imagine trying to pick out a small number of works in the Ufizzi (the entire building and art collection is worthy of viewing).   One nice thing about doing the Ufizzi and Academia is that you should also have time to walk over the Ponte del Vecchia.  I guess you could also buy some "relief tubes" which is what small plane pilots use when they cannot get to a bathroom :).  You may find that a bathroom break (not to mention food/drink) will not fit into your schedule.

Hank

P.S.  A friend of ours once tried to "see Paris" in a single day.  When he returned from that day about the only thing that he remembered was that "Paris is old."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

For us, (and we have done this on several private tours in countries around the world) we would scrap any notion of a "leisurely lunch" and be happy with a sandwich or a pizza slice "on the go"(and eat later on the ship) if it saved us 1 and 1/2 hours minimum to be used instead towards time for our priority sights, but maybe your own compromises would be different.

This brings an interesting issue which is cuisine.  While some folks could care less about food/wine, there are others for which cuisine can be a very important part of a trip/cruise.  We fall into that category.  While we love good museums, sites, etc.  we also are cognizant that culture (around the world) is oft defined, in a major way, by cuisine.   Consider that Italian food is popular around the world.  It is one thing to have spaghetti and meatballs here in the USA, and another to enjoy Cacio e Pepe in Rome!  Pizza is terrific in NYC (where I think they have the best pizza on earth) but experiencing pizza in a decent pizza place in Naples is very special.   When DW and I talk about Florence (where we have been many times) our first thought is about all the truffle dishes as Osteria della Tre Panche where they gave us two menus...one with black truffle dishes and the other with white truffle dishes.  Ask me the name of my favorite painting in the Uffizi and I am at a loss....but ask me about my favorite truffle dish....oooh la la.   And then there is the wonderful gelato found throughout Italy and France!    When DW and I go to Paris for a few days, our first thoughts are about where we will eat.   We sometimes will go to a museum just because it is near a favorite restaurant or restaurant area.  Just saying.   Talk with many frequent travelers about places like Rome, Paris and Florence and they will immediately ask "where did you eat"  not, "which museums did you visit."

Hank

cruiemom42, that was EXACTLY my point. It appears to be abundantly clear that there WILL have to be compromises, and AJ 's group should discuss this and decide which on their agenda to continue with and which to drop if/when time becomes an issue. Especially important that they also have enough time to return to the ship before sailaway, and ideally a "safety margin" of an hour or 45 minutes,or whatever length of tme gives them peace of mind, but again that depends on the compromises the group are willing to make.

Sorry Hank, but given the choice of a leisurely meal and risk missing the ship or having a snack and arriving back at the ship on time, I think most cruisers would forego the leisurely lunch and have something "faster" instead.

We do of course enjoy meals ahore, usually lunches if we are cruising, also breaks for coffees or beers whenever we feel like it,- or these days,when in need of short rest! Having said that, it is of  more importance to us to see the sights we have looked forward to.visiting as we figure we can always eat on the ship but we cannot take that site (or sight) back onboard with us.

I went through exactly the process you are doing back in 2011, before our first visit to Florence.  [And we plan to go back and spend several days, but that still hasn't happened so I quite understand why you want to make the most of what may be a once in a decade opportunity!]

Here was the DIY plan I worked out before the cruise:

08:00 disembark ship

shuttle or taxi or bus to Livorno Centrale train station

09:11 train #3108 to Firenze SMN

10:33 train arrives Florence

14 min. walk to

11:00 Convento di San Marco [Fra Angelico frescos]

2 min. walk to

12:00 Galleria dell'Academia [Michelango's David] (note: have tickets for 12:00)

9 min. walk to

13:00 Duomo [inside, dome, baptistry]

6 min. walk to

14:30 Galleria degli Uffizi (note: have tickets for 14:30)

4 min. walk to

16:15 Ponte Vecchio

14 min. walk (or taxi) to

16:57 Firenze SMN train #23363 to Pisa

18:06 train arrives Pisa

taxi to Leaning Tower of Pisa, have taxi wait, then on to ship

20:00 ship sails

As the port call approached, this seemed more and more dangerous!  And definitely overpacked.  So in the end, this is what we did:

Oceania “on your own” shore excursion [bus round trip to Santa Croce church – 2 hours each way]

Bargello Museum [sculpture]

Convento di San Marco [Fra Angelico frescos]

Galleria dell'Academia [Michelango's David] [with advance tickets]

Duomo [Cathedral – outside only, dome, baptistry] (long lines to get inside and to climb dome)

Galleria degli Uffizi [with advance tickets]

Ponte Vecchio (quick visit, running out of time)

[note that from Convento di San Marco to Ponte Vecchio is a straight line with the other sites nearby, so your desired sightseeing stroll is already included – get a Rick Steves guide and he will even narrate it for you!]

This was a packed day.  Even with tickets, we had to wait on line at the Uffizi.  We had to skip the Duomo and give the Ponte Vecchio short shrift in order to make it back to Santa Croce by the meeting time.  And it was exhausting – 10 hours from ship to ship.  But we were able to do everything and really enjoy the priority sights – and once we got back to Santa Croce, all agida was gone because the guide was responsible for herding us back to the bus and then to the ship.  If I were planning a first-time visit again I would take the ship's 'on your own' tour and follow this exact schedule.

• Like 2

Host Jazzbeau, that was indeed a very packed day and I don't think it would be possible nowadays unless post covid tourism figures have decreased from the ever increasing numbers between 2011 and 2019, the years we noticed crowds increasing year on year in popular European destinations. 

We saw that even in our home city( Edinburgh,Scotland) when the month of August (Festivals month) became ever more crowded. In common with some other European cities, there have been calls here at certain times of the year  for tourism to be more effectively "managed" to  help aleviate the many issues which came from over tourism, but that is a different topic.

Was there anywhere in that packed schedule for a sit down "leisurely lunch" or did you eat "on the go"? That may be where AJs first compromise will lie.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

one way of getting around it is to plan, not a cruise, but a land trip.

Tuscany is amazing and with several days to explore  not only Florence but some of the other really attractive locations in the region, you could enjoy a wonderful trip at a more relaxed pace.                                   

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Host Jazzbeau, that was indeed a very packed day and I don't think it would be possible nowadays unless post covid tourism figures have decreased from the ever increasing numbers between 2011 and 2019, the years we noticed crowds increasing year on year in popular European destinations. 

We saw that even in our home city( Edinburgh,Scotland) when the month of August (Festivals month) became ever more crowded. In common with some other European cities, there have been calls here at certain times of the year  for tourism to be more effectively "managed" to  help aleviate the many issues which came from over tourism, but that is a different topic.

Was there anywhere in that packed schedule for a sit down "leisurely lunch" or did you eat "on the go"? That may be where AJs first compromise will lie.

That trip was our first 'post-kids' cruise, when I hadn't learned how to time excursions and never included lunch in the planning.  I think DW took rolls and cold cuts from the breakfast buffet [we didn't know it was illegal on that first cruise...]  and we scarfed them down somewhere along the way.  So I take it back:  I would not plan this itinerary today.  But since our planned return to Florence still hasn't happened in eleven years, I'm glad we did squeeze all that in!

That trip was our first 'post-kids' cruise, when I hadn't learned how to time excursions and never included lunch in the planning.

One of the major drawbacks of cruising is that a shortage of time is often an issue on port calls, especially so in cities or towns which have a wealth of sights/sites to explore. 

i know that for many cruise pax living in smaller towns with fewer dining choices,  international dining options can be tricky to find. ,For us, living where we do and being fortunate in having an abundance of restaurants on our doorstep offering cuisine from around the world,,  we always prioritise sights/sites, although in less time challenging ports we often do indulge in a sit down lunch and people watch.

(We most recently dined out only  three days ago( on Sunday) and enjoyed a Japanese meal in Umai Sushi and Ramen Edinburgh

Where cruising comes into its own is when a one day call is sufficient to see everything we want to see, but also when a one day call tempts us to return on a longer land trip, and we have done that on a number of occasions with great success.

Edited by edinburgher

i didn't see grab &  go places in Florence.  The closest thing would be to duck into a grocery (Conad, Carrefour) and grab some of the pre-made items.   On your way back to the train station, across the street there is a McDonalds if you are desperate.  

On 9/28/2022 at 7:26 PM, slidergirl said:

i didn't see grab &  go places in Florence.  The closest thing would be to duck into a grocery (Conad, Carrefour) and grab some of the pre-made items.   On your way back to the train station, across the street there is a McDonalds if you are desperate.  

In most cafes you can find food to take with you or eat quickly at the counter.

This is much cheaper and quicker than to sit down.

Think Tramezzinis and such.