LIVE from Anthem of the Seas, 23 September to 5 October 2022, "Discover the Canaries"

FionaMG

35 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Fiona, thanks for the comprehensive summary.

We've actually walked to the port from PI, since I've read on these boards that it is possible.

We checked in Sunday evening, WQ mall was closed, and with nothing better to do, we decided on some "recce" of the surroundings, to ascertain that actually, as it was mentioned, in the morning, we could walk to port...

Indeed, the following morning, we cut through the Holiday Inn's parking lot, and, presto, we were there... a very easy walk.

We've done almost the same itinerary with Anthem, with Bilbao instead of La Coruna 😉.

My pleasure! Bilbao is still on my to-do list! :classic_smile:

We had fully intended walking to the port. The problem was that the boat show was on that week and it occupies the whole area that you would normally walk through to get from PI to the port, meaning a very long round-about hike that we didn't fancy with luggage. As I understand it, even people staying at the Holiday Inn were unable to walk because the walking route was inside the area that was closed off for the boat show. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Bilbao is still on my to-do list! 

Bilbao has THE REASON we took this itinerary. DH is an art buff, he absolutely had to see the Guggenheim, adding it to the one in NY and the one in Venice....

We really enjoyed our stop there, as well as the one in Lanzarote.

• Like 2

Now I'm caught up with your live thread @FionaMG.  I realized now close we crossed.  You left Bayonne on September 23rd.  I drove up to Bayonne that evening to board on the 24th.  For some reason, I thought you were sailing West, not East.

Good live thread, but its too bad you didn't see We will Rock you.  Out of all the shows on Anthem, We will Rock you is by far one of my favorites overall.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Now I'm caught up with your live thread @FionaMG.  I realized now close we crossed.  You left Bayonne on September 23rd.  I drove up to Bayonne that evening to board on the 24th.  For some reason, I thought you were sailing West, not East.

Good live thread, but its too bad you didn't see We will Rock you.  Out of all the shows on Anthem, We will Rock you is by far one of my favorites overall.

No, we were in Europe, so we boarded within a day of each other but far, far away. If i'm not mistaken, Anthem should just have started her TA back to the States a few hours ago.

We'll be sailing on her out of Bayonne on the 23rd of April next year, 8 nights to Port Canaveral, Miami, Coco Cay and Nassau. 

Who knows, if you do manage to fit one in around then that might be an option for you. The prices are pretty good.

With a bit of luck we'll get to see WWRY then. 🤞

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

No, we were in Europe, so we boarded within a day of each other but far, far away. If i'm not mistaken, Anthem should just have started her TA back to the States a few hours ago.

We'll be sailing on her out of Bayonne on the 23rd of April next year, 8 nights to Port Canaveral, Miami, Coco Cay and Nassau. 

Who knows, if you do manage to fit one in around then that might be an option for you. The prices are pretty good.

With a bit of luck we'll get to see WWRY then. 🤞

OH, you weren't on a TA.  Why did i think you were on a TA

29 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

OH, you weren't on a TA.  Why did i think you were on a TA

Before covid cancelled everything, our original plan was to have spent time in NY and then take the TA back to Europe. I think I might have mentioned that to you at some point and it probably stuck in your mind because I seem to remember you saying something along the lines of you'd never done a TA but it was something you would perhaps consider doing in the future?

• 2 months later...
On 9/30/2022 at 11:35 AM, grapau27 said:

Tenerife is one of our favourite ports and we usually get a taxi to Puerto de la Cruz so it must be disappointing that you leave early today.

Hi Graham, Happy New Year! 🙂

Resurrecting my thread to ask you a question. DH and I have booked a last-minute short break in Puerto de la Cruz, going next week.

If you have the time, I was wondering if you have any suggestions as to anything we should make a point of seeing/doing or anything we should avoid?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Hi Graham, Happy New Year! 🙂

Resurrecting my thread to ask you a question. DH and I have booked a last-minute short break in Puerto de la Cruz, going next week.

If you have the time, I was wondering if you have any suggestions as to anything we should make a point of seeing/doing or anything we should avoid?

Happy new year Fiona.

We were there on November 25th for the day during our 2 week cruise on P&O Azura.

The centre of Puerto de la Cruz is pedestrianised now and fairly compact.

We stayed 3 times in Puerto in the early 90s in the Hotel Tenerife Playa and once in the Hotel Las Vegas which were perfectly located on the sea front promenade.

The Lido Martinez in my first photo is lovely and only a small charge for the day.

The Cafe de Paris was our go to eating place.

There is a nice square about 800 metres past McDonald's which is joined onto the Hotel Las Vegas.

For tours there is la Laguna and Mount Taide but there was plenty of touristy shopping in the centre and we always either sunbathed or walked around the town.

Every time we sail to the Canaries we always get a taxi or tour to Puerto de la Cruz.

Best wishes and thanks again for your amazing Live From Anthem.

Graham.

IMG_20221125_105741.jpg

IMG_20221125_110059.jpg

IMG_20221125_114524.jpg

IMG_20221125_113232.jpg

IMG_20221125_113644.jpg

IMG_20221125_110140.jpg

IMG_20221125_114355.jpg

IMG_20221125_114612.jpg

IMG_20221125_134226.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Happy new year Fiona.

We were there on November 25th for the day during our 2 week cruise on P&O Azura.

The centre of Puerto de la Cruz is pedestrianised now and fairly compact.

We stayed 3 times in Puerto in the early 90s in the Hotel Tenerife Playa and once in the Hotel Las Vegas which were perfectly located on the sea front promenade.

The Lido Martinez in my first photo is lovely and only a small charge for the day.

The Cafe de Paris was our go to eating place.

There is a nice square about 800 metres past McDonald's which is joined onto the Hotel Las Vegas.

For tours there is la Laguna and Mount Taide but there was plenty of touristy shopping in the centre and we always either sunbathed or walked around the town.

Every time we sail to the Canaries we always get a taxi or tour to Puerto de la Cruz.

Best wishes and thanks again for your amazing Live From Anthem.

Graham.

Thanks so much for this Graham. I really appreciate you taking the time to post your lovely pics. We will have four full days to explore so your tips are going to be really useful. 🥰

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Thanks so much for this Graham. I really appreciate you taking the time to post your lovely pics. We will have four full days to explore so your tips are going to be really useful. 🥰

Happy to help Fiona.

Graham.

• Like 1