Current Getaway Cruise

www3traveler

Has anyone heard from  the Getaway today??  She was to sail to Bermuda yesterday but got re-routed to New England and Canada because of the hurricane.  Now the hurricane is heading for Canada.  I wondeer if She has been re-routed again trying to avoid the storm system.

Just check a cruise tracking website, it says that the Getaway is heading for Portland, Oregon arriving at 6:30 A.M. tomorrow-- must mean Portland, Maine.  Portland, Oregon is on the West Coast of the United States not the East Coast.

11 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

There is another thread "Breakaway in Boston" saying that the seas were too rough to leave Boston, so she is overnighting there. 

Yes, The Breakaway.  The Getaway left New York City yesterday heading for Canada instead of going South to Bermuda to avoid the hurricane.  The hurricane is due to hit the Maritime Provinces (Northeastern Canada) maybe as early as tomorrow.

Edited by www3traveler

Looking at Marinetraffic data now -

Getaway last AIS reported position 3 hours ago was  heading SE away from Rhode Island & MA waters in the Atlantic.  

Joy is doing just 2 knots, barely moving at all - south of the Long Island, NY near the Hamptons - reported destination is PEI ... huh 

QM2 left NY and reported next destination is Boston, cruising at 15 knots

All interesting navigational "moves" to track ... 

• Like 1

Just checked on The Getaway:heading toward Portland, Maine, bright blue skies, fairly smooth seas but several hours behind schedule.

I pray the rest of Her journey goes smoothly.

I saw a posting that said that Hurricane Fiona could become Canada's Hurricane Sandy.  I certain hope not.

1 minute ago, www3traveler said:

Just checked on The Getaway:heading toward Portland, Maine, bright blue skies, fairly smooth seas but several hours behind schedule.

I pray the rest of Her journey goes smoothly.

I saw a posting that said that Hurricane Fiona could become Canada's Hurricane Sandy.  I certain hope not.

Just got off Joy and we had to go through immigration in Portland as it was our first reentry into the U.S.  Will be the same with Getaway.

For us, it didn't finish till around 2 pm so if GA is already delayed it could mean a very late start or interruption to tours and other plans.  

Perhaps someone onboard will chime in to update us.  They must have been late leaving St. John, NB.

This is from Windy App, pretty sure ships are navigating carefully from a safe distance avoiding wind and waves

Screenshot_20220924-104638.png

Canadian utilities and EOC (emergency operations centers) reporting that impacted areas experiencing power outages, down trees & wires affecting 40% customers and repairs/recovery ops won't be dispatched until the worst of the storm are over ... and could be days before fully restored.  This is said to be a new record for storm hitting the provinces, hard and isn't over.  

Norwegian Joy appeared to be heading, slowly toward PEI - based on latest marinetraffic data, her live shipcam view doesn't look bad ... perhaps 11 ft. to 13 ft. waves (3 meters) but sea state could still be rough & increasing with the swell, the further they sail easterly toward the port.  

Further discussions in the Hurricane Zone on this from CC'ers with excellent insights on storms over the years - meanwhile, down in the Gulf ... the buzz ahead is all about "Ian" - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2881356-fiona-atlantic-sep-15/page/2/#comments

Edited by mking8288