Bringing Instruments - Guitar for Example

Maleficent's Dad

8 hours ago, HowardK said:

I am sure it would TOTALLY ruin someones cruise. I mean, they would probably have to call their butler about it.

I would not call the butler.

I would politely call the front desk and explain I would cancel my next two cruises if it wasnt unplugged . Problem solved.

In all seriousness, they have rules, and yes some people should be on America's got talent but most belong on America's got no talent.

I am amazed how many talentless people in their head think they have talent.

Those that cannot go a week without their pacifier should not go on a cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

People get an over-inflated idea about how good they are/talent levels. Mostly because friends and family tell them how good they are. Other passengers might not agree.  As a former musician on cruise ships, I let passengers who claimed they were pro-level drummers play a song or two on my drums and believe me it never worked out. In fact, I was threatened to be fired if it happened again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

The problem is, she craves attention… Trust me when I say that she doesn’t want the privacy of her room to practice.  (Good for your son, though!).  What I envision is her pulling out her guitar back in Spice H2O and starting to strum and sing.  Maybe even trying the atrium for an audience.  That’s her personality.  While it works in some venues, I don’t see it as appropriate behavior on board a ship that has a plethora of paid professional musicians. I guess we’ll see.  Hopefully I am wrong!!

There have been some great (and rather interesting) responses here.  Thanks all for your input!

Yeah…you don’t want that to happen.  Feeding another’s ego is NOT a good reason to allow them to perform on the cruise ship, as you suggest.

Again, if that’s her “thing”, tell her to ditch the guitar and the thought of going to someplace like Spice H20 and expecting a warm reception by people who have been drinking all day.  My guess is she’ll be more than deflated by their response.  Even worse in the Atrium, where security may pay her a visit at guests’ requests.  

Besides, the Atrium is usually either being set up for a game or the ship’s performers.  They won’t her in the way of that.

In the pool area, her guitar may end up in the pool if it’s crowded and some folks don’t “appreciate” the talent she thinks she has.

Best to tell her to stick to the Karaoke venue, when they offer it.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Haven't read all the posts, but most of them.

Something very similar happened to us on Divina in the Yacht Club.

We were on our balcony, like we always are at sail-away.  Our next door neighbor had a boom box with a tape in it of his band (playing Cuban salsa).

"Oooo I love this song" he said, playing it full blast.

After awhile I went inside.  My dh asked the guy if he could turn it down since I wasn't feeling well (not true).

He said "Let me know when you leave, so I can crank it up."

I really thought this was going to be a problem.  But it wasn't.  

We never saw or heard them again.👍

• Like 1

Just thinking out loud, if I saw someone checking into a cabin near mine, and they had a guitar case with them, I’d immediately ask for a change of cabin.

OP…in all seriousness, this scenario is NOT going to work out the way your GF envisions it.  Save her some grief and dissuade her from bringing her guitar or attempting to perform in any other venue other than when they do Karaoke (as that’s why they offer it…to provide an outlet to those who “think” they are talented).

If not, she’s not only going to have her cruise ruined, but by default, yours will be ruined, too.  Women scorned…..never ends well!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I would politely call the front desk and explain I would cancel my next two cruises if it wasnt unplugged . Problem solved.

In all seriousness, they have rules, and yes some people should be on America's got talent but most belong on America's got no talent.

An instrument is not a pacifier. Successful people with talent know that.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

The problem is, she craves attention… Trust me when I say that she doesn’t want the privacy of her room to practice.  (Good for your son, though!).  What I envision is her pulling out her guitar back in Spice H2O and starting to strum and sing.  Maybe even trying the atrium for an audience.  That’s her personality.  While it works in some venues, I don’t see it as appropriate behavior on board a ship that has a plethora of paid professional musicians. I guess we’ll see.  Hopefully I am wrong!!

There have been some great (and rather interesting) responses here.  Thanks all for your input!

If I were you, I'd just let her play and not let it ruffle my feathers. The other guests, or the crew, will help her make the correct decision. Then, you can be her savior and allow her ruffled head to lay on your shoulder as you console her...just be prepared for some tears and you'll be ok.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HowardK said:

An instrument is not a pacifier. Successful people with talent know that.

If you can't go a week without it then what is it?

Mostly it's delusions of grandeur. 

I don't know why we are continuing with this discussion. It's a prohibited items period!

Maybe I should fish off my balcony while enjoying a scented candle and a shot of whiskey I smuggled in my suitcase. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I can see a Butler coming to offer a bowl of M&Ms when called to appease the jeering crowd! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

OP…in all seriousness, this scenario is NOT going to work out the way your GF envisions it.  Save her some grief and dissuade her from bringing her guitar or attempting to perform in any other venue other than when they do Karaoke (as that’s why they offer it…to provide an outlet to those who “think” they are talented).

If not, she’s not only going to have her cruise ruined, but by default, yours will be ruined, too.  Women scorned…..never ends well!

Definitely not my GF.  My friend and neighbor.

Happily married here!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I don't know why we are continuing with this discussion. It's a prohibited items period!

Maybe I should fish off my balcony while enjoying a scented candle and a shot of whiskey I smuggled in my suitcase. 

The problem is, musical instruments are not prohibited items.  

27 minutes ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

The problem is, musical instruments are not prohibited items.  

Wow, I just looked it up and I stand corrected.

Many years ago I had to go to the naughty room on CCL because they saw a ukulele in my luggage. It was just a Halloween prop with no strings.

So I will bring a harmonica. 😂

I am really lousy at it but I can make myself a nuisance with it. Let one play, let all. 🙂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

Definitely not my GF.  My friend and neighbor.

Happily married here!

Sorry…misunderstood.  Personally, I wouldn’t go anywhere near what sounds like a fiasco in the making.  I’d make certain my cabin was far away from hers.  And, if/when I saw her on the ship with a guitar case in tow, I’d head in the opposite direction.

In my life I’ve known way too many people who are focused only on themselves all the time and are attention seekers with no regard to the wishes of anyone else around them.  I just don’t get along with those kinds of people.

Edited by graphicguy

53 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Love this…..my sister had the 45 of this and played it.

I remember as a small kid running around the house singing…

On Saturday night they need some excitement
Jane gets right and the monkey gets tight
And their voices unite, in the pale moon light
And it sounds alright, yeah, it's dynamite
It's outta sight”

My Mother got tired of my recitations and finally forbade me from singing this in the house….

🎶 BaBy!!!!!!…….

Edited by graphicguy
  • Haha 1