Is it more expensive to buy the Voom Surf after you get on the ship compared to buying it online before checking in

gam888

Could anyone please tell me if it's more expensive to buy the Voom Surf package after we have checked into the ship, compared to buying it on my cruise planner before we embark. It says on the cruise planner there is a 20% discount to buy it now, but I don't know if that is really true. I called Royal Caribbean and the agent couldn't provide me with a price of the Voom Surf package if I wait till I have already checked into the ship. Also, if I don't need it for a few days and only buy it some time during the voyage, would they pro-rate it, for example, if there is only 9 days left from a 14 day cruise, would they just ask  me to pay for 9 days but not the whole package price for 14 days, since I didn't use it for the first 5 days?

Thank you in advance.

If you are Diamond or higher you would get at least 24 hours for free.

If you go to their computer area you would need to purchase internet pkg.  If you decided to cancel you would have to ask the Voom desk if they would refund you.

@Biker19can explain how you can get a couple minutes of free internet.  I have never tried but hear it works.

1 hour ago, EleventyBangBang said:

Say, for example, all I want to do is log in for 5 minutes and keep my Duolingo streak alive, but beyond that I have no desire to have wireless internet or anything.

There are usually no plans for less than a continuous 24 hrs. You can get 15 min of free internet on a mobile device one time per sailing by clicking on the App/Play store link.

Edited by Biker19

Thank you everyone for replying my post. Moe46 mentioned a crown and anchor discount onboard. We are at the Emerald level right now, would we be entitled to some kind of discount for internet? 

I am still unable to find out what the internet price is if I purchase it onboard. The Royal Caribbean agent on the phone was very vague about the answer. 

Also, could anyone please enlighten me about this idea of "You can get 15 min of free internet on a mobile device one time per sailing by clicking on the App/Play store link" ? 

So if we have a cell phone, with no roaming capability, can we still get this 15 min of free internet? Do we have to download some kind of App? Or do we find it within the Royal Caribbean App that is downloaded on our phone already? 

Thank you.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, gam888 said:

I am still unable to find out what the internet price is if I purchase it onboard. The Royal Caribbean agent on the phone was very vague about the answer. 

On my Voyager cruise earlier this month, Voom Surf was $19.99 per day, Voom Surf & Stream was $24.99 per day for the remainder of the cruise.

An individual 24 hour period of Surf was $25.99 and, IIRC, $32.99 for Surf & Stream.

1 hour ago, gam888 said:

So if we have a cell phone, with no roaming capability, can we still get this 15 min of free internet?

Yes. After connecting to the ship's WiFi, you open a web browser to set up your Voom account - on that page there's a link to the App (iOS) or Play (Android) store - simply clicking on that link (even if you don't go to it) activates the 15 min of Stream.

The ship's wifi has become super expensive.  You used to get the 4-device stream & surf for around $22 per day, pre-pandemic.  Now it sometimes cost anywhere from $70 per day or when on sale, $45 per day.  They've completely gone out of their minds!