Possibly driving to MIA Sept 30th due to Ian

tytanbri

We are currently scheduled to fly from Roanoke VA to Charlotte NC to Mia on Friday morning/early afternoon. I am not sure off that will actually happen due to the hurricane so I am trying to make a back up plan. Depending on when we find out about the flights, we could rent at Charlotte or close to home. Driving would take 16 hours from Virginia and about 14 from Charlotte. I am looking for information about where to stay if we get to Miami in the middle of the night. We currently have reservations at Hampton Inn Brickell but would not have anywhere to put the cars. If we change to an airport hotel, we would need transportation to the port in the morning. I currently have Jiffy Jeff scheduled but I am not sure they could accommodate the drastic changes.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

The 30th? That is this Friday. From what I can tell with all the news, Ian is going to be up my way which is Northeast Florida but if you are driving? To be honest with you, I wouldn't do it.......we are going to have  BIG rains and you are going to have drive through them.......You have to go through Jacksonville to get to Miami via 95.  I agree with the previous poster, driving through something like this? Not for me and I wouldn't recommend it. 

• Like 2

When would you drive? The storm is expected to be moving between the west coast of Florida through Jacksonville from Thursday night to Friday night. Meaning lots of rain and storms in the way of your drive Thursday and Friday. You might be best flying. Miami will be fine by Thursday afternoon, and Friday looks like a normal sunny day.  Charlotte shows rain on Friday, but more later in the day and nothing that should slow things down significantly. The planes easily route around hurricanes/tropical storms. Just adds some time to your flight but planes fly around them all the time. 

Driving seems like a terrible idea. 

You are in a tough situation. To be honest, none of your options are good at the moment. If you are going to Charlotte, you most like have American Airline flights. AA is bad to begin with. The storm will be coming up our way Friday. With FL cancelations soon to being impacted, I'd expect a lot of cancelations. As for driving, if I went that route, I would be on the road today. Work remotely if you can or talk to your boss. You want to be south of St Augustine by Wednesday.