How was it?

travelgip

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Pineapple yum!

It's to die for, I have only done Moderno once and I was so full when the pineapple came I could not manage much, but next time I will be very selective which foods I accept from the gaucho's and leave plenty of room to enjoy the pineapple.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2022 at 11:33 AM, TheycallmeDrew said:

I have been to all 3. Le Bistro is my favorite always have loved the food there. Modernist has these delicious rolls made from cheese that are great for my wife since she can’t eat gluten but I find the meat they serve to be a bit dry. The grilled pineapple is very good though. Teppanyaki was ok food wise, nothing special but my experience was ruined by having the “show” ruined by the other side of the table being served first and our chef doing same show right after. Would not rush back. 

I tend to agree.  Everyone thinks Cagney's is the best restaurant onboard and it used to be.  Lately, it's been OK, but not spectacular, on a couple different ships.  Service at Le Bistro is always amazing.  Food at all restaurants is going to vary ship to ship but they'll do whatever they can to accommodate requests.

Some Moderno cuts are better than others.  At least on some ships, they and Cagney's are served by the same kitchen.  I'm addicted to the grilled pineapple.  That and the salad bar is great if you're travelling with vegetarians/vegans.

On 9/29/2022 at 11:33 AM, TheycallmeDrew said:

Teppanyaki was ok food wise, nothing special but my experience was ruined by having the “show” ruined by the other side of the table being served first and our chef doing same show right after. Would not rush back. 

Yeah, Teppanyaki is fine.  Once.  A bit corny, but it's an experience if you've never done it.  The issue you ran into is that the seatings overlap.  So if you're 7:00, you'll see much of the 6:30 "performance" at the next table.

Edited by phillygwm

13 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

my favorite is Le Bistro, followed by Moderno ( for the salad bar) and it depends on the ship, I am a medium rare guy and sometimes they cook it too well.  . We have never done Teppanyaki mostly because i am allergic to shell fish and i am concerned about that. My least favorite is Cagneys although they have a mean chocolate cake. We used to love the mexican restaurant back in 2009 but that was taken away and i am told only a few ships have a new one called Los Lobos, looking forward to trying that one 🙂

I can’t have shellfish as well and they were very good at respecting that. They cooked the chicken and beef first for us and the shrimp only went on after we were served. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 5:59 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Was it always overcooked like my single experience?

Yes. We found all the meat to be well done. When the lamb arrived well done, we asked for some with at least some pink shoeing, and were told “that’s not how we cook it here”. We may have hit a bad night, but having mashed potatoes sitting there cooling for 10 minutes before any meat arrived was not acceptable to us. It was too bad because we’d heard rave reviews. I do say the salad bar was stellar; too bad the main course didn’t match up. 

1 hour ago, PatandStu said:

Yes. We found all the meat to be well done. When the lamb arrived well done, we asked for some with at least some pink shoeing, and were told “that’s not how we cook it here”. We may have hit a bad night, but having mashed potatoes sitting there cooling for 10 minutes before any meat arrived was not acceptable to us. It was too bad because we’d heard rave reviews. I do say the salad bar was stellar; too bad the main course didn’t match up. 

Thanks.  I won't have a cruise with Moderno until later next year.  We may or may not give it another shot.  If we do, and have no access to properly cooked meat, then it will likely be our last time.

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.  I won't have a cruise with Moderno until later next year.  We may or may not give it another shot.  If we do, and have no access to properly cooked meat, then it will likely be our last time.

I would have a conversation with the manager on duty before you get seated to make sure they know your preferences as to how you like your meat prepared. This would include of course lamb chops.  If I was told that they could not be prepared how I wanted, I would be a very unhappy camper. 

I went once on the Escape years ago and the meat was a perfect rare to medium rare and the grilled caramelized pineapple 🍍 was outstanding.  

19 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I would have a conversation with the manager on duty before you get seated to make sure they know your preferences as to how you like your meat prepared.

Excellent idea.  I'll keep that in mind.  Still hoping to hear more experiences of others.

on my last cruise (before Covid), they didn't have lamb chops and I was disappointed.  I booked Moderno for my upcoming cruise and I really hope the chops are back.  I skip the salad bar since I'm there for the meats.  Although, on my first NCL cruise we went to Moderno and they has some really good ceviche at the salad bar.  I haven't seen it since that first cruise.  Maybe I'll try the pineapple next time as I hear folks rave about it so much.  I'll have a little, not too much to raise my blood sugar thru the roof.  I haven't tried any of the other specialty restaurants.

28 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

on my last cruise (before Covid), they didn't have lamb chops and I was disappointed.  I booked Moderno for my upcoming cruise and I really hope the chops are back.  I skip the salad bar since I'm there for the meats.  Although, on my first NCL cruise we went to Moderno and they has some really good ceviche at the salad bar.  I haven't seen it since that first cruise.  Maybe I'll try the pineapple next time as I hear folks rave about it so much.  I'll have a little, not too much to raise my blood sugar thru the roof.  I haven't tried any of the other specialty restaurants.

The pineapple is the best part of the meal.  I take a bite in between the different meat courses to sort of cleanse the palate.  I save the majority of it to eat as dessert since you get kind of full consuming the variety of meats that are available.

For the last few cruises we have made Moderno the restaurant that we go to twice, so that we can split the different meats over the two, rather than feel we have to have everything. The pineapple is the one thing that I always get though.

I'm not particularly fussy regarding how my meat is cooked, but my preference is medium rare, and I'd rather it wasn't cooked any better than medium. I have never had any problem  with that at Moderno, and on one occasion when I asked for the filet rare they brought some out for me..

• Like 1