Disembarking early on a European Cruise?

JAMESFALLETTA

Sailing Carnival Pride May 28, 2023, Barcelona to London.  Final stop is Zeebrugge (Belgium/Brussels), a day before reaching Dover (London).  I'd like to disembark there and stay in Belgium.  Has anyone ever done this?  I called Carnival and they were very quick to say "we can't keep you from getting off, so just tell security a day ahead of time."

I know arrangements need to be made with locals immigration, as well as amending the cruise manifest.  I know Royal has recently ended the option to disembark early, but likely under the auspices of Covid.  Carnival rep was too quick to tell me "yes", so I'm a bit worried.

• Like 1

Thanks.  Called Carnival a 3rd time to try to break the tie.  They started quoting Jones Act and I exaplained that it's a European cruise.  They came back and said "Carnival doesn't allow it, but if you disembark you'll have to handle immigration on your own."

Were your 2 No's from the 1-800 number team or from shipboard crew?

33 minutes ago, JAMESFALLETTA said:

Thanks.  Called Carnival a 3rd time to try to break the tie.  They started quoting Jones Act and I exaplained that it's a European cruise.  They came back and said "Carnival doesn't allow it, but if you disembark you'll have to handle immigration on your own."

My initial no was from my PVP.  I escalated it to a manager and the answer was still no.  Then I escalated it to the chairman’s office and they also said no.  They said they do not allow what they call “downline debarkation” on a pre-arranged basis, but acknowledge that some people may need to depart early because of an emergency, missing the ship, or other types of unforeseen situations. 

Yes all EU.  So I’m hoping no immigration.  I may book flight from London and from Brussels and ask ask soon as I board the ship.  I use points and so can cancel the flights without penalty.  Dover just seems like such a pain. Private transport to Heathrow is $450!  

13 hours ago, JAMESFALLETTA said:

And even if the ports were in the US, it would not be the Jones Act that applied as that applies to cargo ships. It would be the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Service Act).

• Like 2