Noordam Back!

jhannah

GroverKids home safely, (my parents) but my MOM was really not wild about those 42 ft waves!!!! They have over 100 days on HAL and never expirenced waves that big before! They think because the Noordam was a much bigger ship, it faired well also!

Glad everyone is arriving home safely! :)

You'd think that HAL would've arranged for better conditions on the inaugural voyage...SHEESH! ;)

It is a Big smile =*S*

Maybe like a Cheshire...but since we are not felines... *S* *S*:D

Hope your sermon went well today. So glad your back and posting you have such talent showing what you see/feel.

Thank you again.

It also kept the amatures in their cabins. :D

Joyce

Is there some benefit to that???:confused:

Seriously, your cabin is the last place you should be in rough seas. The best place is on deck with your eyes firmly planted on the horizon. Best way to combat seasickness.

Is there some benefit to that???:confused:

Seriously, your cabin is the last place you should be in rough seas. The best place is on deck with your eyes firmly planted on the horizon. Best way to combat seasickness.

Though I posted it with a smiley, there are benefits. Besides the obvious one of no cleanups necessary in the public areas, you don't have to listen to the complaints about 'why can't the captain make it stop'. Its a ship, it moves on water and suffers the consequences. I think that question should be right up there with 'does the crew sleep on board?'

Joyce

It was fun.

Very High Seas, with waves up to 42 feet (or more), makes for a real fun time. Of course, not everyone likes it. Myself, I had dosed myself with Scopace and had very little trouble. The last night, around 11:30 pm, I went up to the Crows nest with Brian and Scotty and enjoyed the bouncy ride up there. Dancing was IMPOSSIBLE, but stretched out in the "Captain Kirk" Chairs it made for fun conversation. Of course ... it didn't help that Brian noticed a bit of flaking paint just above the center window and, when he touched it, it fell off. :eek:

I'm on the Noordam now. Those waves must have been high. Our entire veranda and windows on deck 7 were covered in salt. Mamud our stewart had his work cut out for him last night, but by the time we came back from dinner all was clean and shiny.

So far the seas have been moderate. We had a few rocks and rolls last night, but not bad. She still rolling a bit today, just enough to be interesting as my keyboard keeps rolling up towards me.

As reported she is a lovely ship. :)

So happy to have someone from the 2nd sailing to report. I am glad the seas are not as rought and you have also found the ship to be lovely. Please check in as often as you can.

Have3 a wonderful time.

My DH & I happened to be in NYC yesterday, and I got to see the Noordam in port, and then again as she was pulling away from the dock.

I begged and pleaded with my DH to pull the car over... I am SURE I could have jumped from the pier to the ship and made it.

But alas, I am sitting at home, planning my 2007 Alaska cruise on the Zuiderdam.

I'm on the Noordam now. Those waves must have been high. Our entire veranda and windows on deck 7 were covered in salt. Mamud our stewart had his work cut out for him last night, but by the time we came back from dinner all was clean and shiny.

So far the seas have been moderate. We had a few rocks and rolls last night, but not bad. She still rolling a bit today, just enough to be interesting as my keyboard keeps rolling up towards me.

Hi Julie! Bon Voyage!!! Have a wonderful time and let us hear from you if you get the time!

. . . can you recommend any places or tour to do myself rather than the ships ones

dave

Dave, if you come back to this thread, may I recommend a thread I started over on the European board. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to e-mail me. susana.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=122141&highlight=ponta+delgada

Enjoy your cruise, Julie, the first on the 11 day itinerary we'll be taking in November. Why not start a "Live from the Second Sailing of the Noordam" thread?

It's good to see that the ship's internet is up (or was your post sent from onshore in Tortola?).

Yes, I broke the ship...

...it's missing a bit of gilded plaster in the Crows Nest - above the bow windows dead center...

:(

...also saw where someone else had pulled a square brass tufting-button from an upholstered panel of a Portside Glass elevator.

Yes, tons of salt on the rails, etc. Couldn't even see out the Bridge Cam in NYC as it was encrusted w/ salt.

However, we did get a few things fixed:

In 8060, the jacuzzi tub works again, and the righthand medicine cabinet door will still be screwed into that wall in 40 years after the ship is decomissioned!

(left lots of extra hangers in there for you too)

Martha's Neptune's Tongue in the Portside Penthouse works now - but the verandah jacuzzi tub still only jacuzzis intermittently.

I think that the cocktail table in Sonny and Laura's stateroom has been replaced: the wood frame had split sometime before they entered their suite.

Music Channels two and three work now - although they couldn't download music to them via satellite so we were stuck listening to the same old music on CD's over and over.

(Dam, I HATE Michael Bolton more than ever now...)

:cool:

42 foot seas.....reminds me of the good ole' days.......try doing it on a ship just 550 ft long with a 54' beam (roughly half the size of Noordam).......That's where I learned to walk on Bulkheads :) It's quite the sight to see "White Water up to the bridge windows (Bow playing submarine). My Grandfather once said he joined the subarine service (Post WW II) because he got tierd of "going over" one and "under two" without getting paid for it. :)

BTW, for those interested in wave activity out 200NM from Cape May, NJ here's the link to the NOAA National Data Bouy Center: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44004

And 150 NM East of Cape HATTERAS:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41001

For those who want the visuals:

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/AtlRegSSA.shtml

BTW, for those interested in wave activity out 200NM from Cape May, NJ here's the link to the NOAA National Data Bouy Center: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44004

And 150 NM East of Cape HATTERAS:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41001

For those who want the visuals:

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/AtlRegSSA.shtml

Thanks, Chief! More data...I LOVE IT!

Archived