Current Viking onboard covid situation

geotex

We are scheduled on Viking Zurich to Paris tour/cruise, beginning Oct 14.  I am wondering about the incidence of covid aboard Viking cruises recently.  There hasn't been much said on this topic in several months.  I know there is much less, if any, testing going on currently.  If one does test positive what happens?  Is there a don't ask, don't tell situation?  I have spent the past year immunocompromised because of chemotherapy.  I'm now doing well enough to travel (finally!), but still plan to be pretty careful, and will mask when possible.  I'm just concerned about the incidence of positive covid cases I might encounter onboard.  Anyone have any recent observations?

There is no mandatory testing anymore. If you are symptomatic on a river cruise they can arrange for testing at your request. If someone tests positive I’m assuming they would follow local advice for isolation but that would be on the honor system. 
I doubt if many people with minor symptoms would elect to test. There is no way to know if people on board are testing positive at this point in time. Just as there is no way to know on an airplane, a bus or at the grocery store. All you can do is mask and maintain distance whenever possible. 

I was on the Paris/Normandy cruise in September, after having done a 2 week ocean cruise, and one week land trip in between.  After successfully avoiding COVID by masking on airplanes, thru airports, train trips, bus excursions, etc., I caught it on the river cruise when a lady coughed on me repeatedly at dinner without turning away or covering her mouth.  Foolish me, I was too polite to do anything.  This was 3 days before the end of the trip and I did not have symptoms until I reached home.  The dining table layout on the river ships is the "riskiest" part of the trip to me.  This was our 2nd Viking river cruise since COVID, and our first time catching it.

We were on the 2 week GET from Amsterdam to Budapest in August on Viking.  At that time, the crew was still required to wear masks.  Nobody asked for our CDC vaccine cards, and no testing was required.  Some people wore masks during the bus tours, but most didn't.  During the second week of the cruise, we had heard that several passengers had Covid, but weren't sure if it was true.  Unfortunately we did test positive for Covid the day after the cruise ended.  Since you are immunocompromised,  your best bet would probably be to mask up whenever possible, and perhaps do dinner in the Aquavit Terrace (the glass enclosed part, if it is too cold to eat outside.  Also, the daily cruise briefings are sent to your cabin TV, if you aren't comfortable with gathering in the lounge for the pre-dinner presentations.  I think at this point, it's pretty much each person out for themselves, in terms of Covid mitigation measures.  Have a good cruise and stay safe!

Thanks for your responses.  I was just curious about how prevalent COVID was on recent cruises.  I do plan to be as careful as possible.  This will be our first trip to Europe since 2019, and I can't wait!  I have learned this year to travel when possible as you never know what the future holds.  

• Like 2

We did Paris to Paris last week and we had 1 confirmed Covid case (thank you to the person reporting it to the cruise director..btw) they were isolated and the spouse distanced and wore a mask.  No crew wore masks and few passengers.  By the end of the 11 days most people were sniffing and blowing their noses…but no other positive Covid cases were reported.  We tested ourselves and fingers crossed..still negative.

• Like 1

We did the Viking Bordeaux cruise September 10.  Crew all wore masks, although often under the nose.  Hardly any passengers wore masks.  I came home and tested positive for Covid on Sept. 18.  They never mentioned if anyone had tested positive and we just never thought about it.  I was not masked except for travel days.  I did not notice any coughing or sniffling so who knows where I got it.  I hope that I didn't give it to anyone as I felt sick on Friday so stayed in my cabin and slept all day and night.  Saturday I wore a mask and traveled home and tested Sunday morning.  Morally I know that I should have tested Friday and gone into quarantine but I wanted to go home.  It was wrong but I made that choice as I would guess others do as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, caradara said:

We did the Viking Bordeaux cruise September 10.  Crew all wore masks, although often under the nose.  Hardly any passengers wore masks.  I came home and tested positive for Covid on Sept. 18.  They never mentioned if anyone had tested positive and we just never thought about it.  I was not masked except for travel days.  I did not notice any coughing or sniffling so who knows where I got it.  I hope that I didn't give it to anyone as I felt sick on Friday so stayed in my cabin and slept all day and night.  Saturday I wore a mask and traveled home and tested Sunday morning.  Morally I know that I should have tested Friday and gone into quarantine but I wanted to go home.  It was wrong but I made that choice as I would guess others do as well.

Thank you

Edited by rerepunim
  • Like 1

Thanks to all who responded.  I wish I could be more relaxed about traveling, but I know much of life is risk!  We must travel when we can, as no one knows the future.  I'm going to mask whenever possible, even if I'm the only one who does!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would update following our cruise.  I was disappointed that there seemed to be little interest in dealing with covid onboard.  Our vaccination cards were never requested.  The crew did wear masks, albeit often under the nose.  Masks were provided in our rooms.  Unfortunately hardly any of the passengers bothered to wear them.  There was never any mention of anyone testing positive.  Since it is impossible to wear a mask while eating, I think most people just give up onboard. 

By day 3 of our cruise we began to hear coughing onboard and on the buses.  By the end of the cruise I would guess about half of the passengers were coughing.  When we returned home we tested for covid.  My husband is positive, I am negative.  Strange since we were ,together most of the time, and shared a small cabin.  His symptoms are mild, so it is just an inconvenience.  We are both vaccinated, and have had 3 boosters. 

I would not recommend a river cruise if you have chosen not to be vaccinated.

I am sure that ignoring covid is a business decision for Viking.  Most people seem to be happy to try to carry on without giving it much thought.  Unfortunately it is still very much with us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Geotex-  Thanks for posting, sailing in 2 weeks.  Hope your husband has a mild case.  Regarding your not catching it despite close proximity, scientist determined that a gene mutation has provided those who have it with great Covid protection.  Don't pretend to understand the details, but it has been replicated with blood samples of those who have this mutation being placed in petri dishes with the virus, and the good guys win the battle quickly.  Hopefully science magic can take this intel and do even better things with vaccines?

Cruising:  I expect a similar situation, although Vantage skews older than Viking, so we'll see what % masks.  We had our second Covid  booster and flu shot 2 weeks ago, we'll mask on plane and buses, and see about the rest.  

We went to Portugal in April, our first overseas trip in Covid time.  Big stress thinking about the negative test required to fly in both directions.  The happy-happy-relief-thankful feeling when the Mrs received the negative test results while wandering around Lisbon were incredible.  I never want to have to go through that again, but understand why it was in place.  

• 3 weeks later...

Returned last night from France's Finest two week tour.  We were the only couple who masked religiously on and off board. We wiped down our room and hands with sanitizer constantly - did no good. You can't eat with a mask on so we tried to get to the Aquavit Terrace for all our meals, but getting seats there was quite the competition!  Heard (from one of  their neighbors) that a couple came on board with Covid in Paris and asked to be tested.  They were removed to a hotel and sent home. We watched as people happily coughed and hacked their way through the breakfast buffet, lunch, before dinner drinks, and dinner.  By the end of the trip I'm guessing at least 30 to 40% of us had visible symptoms. Both my husband and myself each missed two days of tours and we had all five shots. We'd watch other couples where one would come out for dinner without their partner and then a couple of days later the partner would reappear looking like "s!*t. Viking didn't care if you were dragging yourself around the ship as long as you didn't ask to be tested. I had the audacity to ask the front desk if they had any cough drops - it was on a weekend and no pharmacies were open - and they just said they don't give out medicines.  (Hmm.  You are happy to have us spread Covid all over but won't help out when we get ill?!) They are definitely in a "we won't be asking so please don't tell us" mode.  My husband got ill to the point of me thinking about the need to get him to a French doctor but instead he quit taking his Celebrex and gradually got better.  I was surprised because he is in his mid 60s and had all his shots.  Guess you never know.  Anyway long story short, if anyone in your party is immunocompromised please reconsider doing this type of tour or you may come home with an unwanted souvenir. I've decided to forgo the joys of sailing with Viking and instead will just reserve a couple of hotels as bases where we can have a bit more control of who is around us 24/7.  Good luck!

Edited by Reydnn38