How will I cope cruising solo?

I have just re-booked a cruise on the Grand in January. I had cancelled it when the Coral started cruising as I couldn't wait that long for a cruise and did 4 cruises in August instead.

This time I will be going solo as my mum has Majestic booked with her friend in March /April and I can't talk my son into coming with me this time.

I have never cruised on my own and was wondering how other people cope. I am a bit worried that every time I go to the toilet some one will clear my drink away and I will lose my seat. Or going to the buffet on port days and having to get another table every time I get up for more food.

Does anyone have any tips on surviving my first solo cruise?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

I have just re-booked a cruise on the Grand in January. I had cancelled it when the Coral started cruising as I couldn't wait that long for a cruise and did 4 cruises in August instead.

This time I will be going solo as my mum has Majestic booked with her friend in March /April and I can't talk my son into coming with me this time.

I have never cruised on my own and was wondering how other people cope. I am a bit worried that every time I go to the toilet some one will clear my drink away and I will lose my seat. Or going to the buffet on port days and having to get another table every time I get up for more food.

Does anyone have any tips on surviving my first solo cruise?

I cruise solo quite a bit and I like to eat my breakfast early in the buffet before the rush starts but if the early time doesn’t suit you or going for lunch try and share a table so if you want to get extra food just ask the other person if they can mind your seat and for dinner I like to eat in the MDR on a shared table and you get to meet other people

you wont be lonely if you join in the activities like trivia etc or just laze around the pool and you can watch the shows after dinner

• Like 2

To save your seat/lounge chair take a lightweight bag (fold up shopper type bag - colourful design) with a book inside.  Leave it on the table/lounge to reserve it until you return from buffet/bar/pool.  The benefit of the book is that is gives you something to read and also it won’t blow away in the wind.

If your cruise has a roll call group, join it.  Good way to meet other solos and friendly couples.  Some cruise lines have solo/single lunches.  At dinner, ask for a share table.

Other cruisers are very friendly.  The staff will look after you.  It’s not as daunting as you think.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, rkmw said:

I cruise solo quite a bit and I like to eat my breakfast early in the buffet before the rush starts but if the early time doesn’t suit you or going for lunch try and share a table so if you want to get extra food just ask the other person if they can mind your seat and for dinner I like to eat in the MDR on a shared table and you get to meet other people

you wont be lonely if you join in the activities like trivia etc or just laze around the pool and you can watch the shows after dinner

Thank you. I'm an early morning person too.

I enjoy trivia, but I imagine I will be scoring low if I don't join a team.

I will share a table at dinner in the main dining room.

1 minute ago, aussielozzie18 said:

To save your seat/lounge chair take a lightweight bag (fold up shopper type bag - colourful design) with a book inside.  Leave it on the table/lounge to reserve it until you return from buffet/bar/pool.  The benefit of the book is that is gives you something to read and also it won’t blow away in the wind.

If your cruise has a roll call group, join it.  Good way to meet other solos and friendly couples.  Some cruise lines have solo/single lunches.  At dinner, ask for a share table.

Other cruisers are very friendly.  The staff will look after you.  It’s not as daunting as you think.

Good idea with the book.

I will look out for the roll call.

Thank you

I cruise solo most of the time and I love it I also find that going to the buffet early is best and as others have suggested, leave a book or a glasses case (nothing valuable though) on a table. If you want to meet people, activities such as trivia or dance classes are great. But, you may surprise yourself with trivia. I have won quite a few flying solo- mainly because you don't have to compromise with others insisting on their (wrong) answers ! 😁

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, timtam2 said:

I cruise solo most of the time and I love it I also find that going to the buffet early is best and as others have suggested, leave a book or a glasses case (nothing valuable though) on a table. If you want to meet people, activities such as trivia or dance classes are great. But, you may surprise yourself with trivia. I have won quite a few flying solo- mainly because you don't have to compromise with others insisting on their (wrong) answers ! 😁

Agree with regard to your last point.  Cruising with my daughter we won a musical trivia because we have the same taste.  Being a solo with a mixed group is hard work when you "know" the answer but another member of team thinks he "knows".   Takes tack, then biting your tongue.  

• Like 1

I have just completed the 23 day transpacific cruise on Carnival Splendor and I did it solo! This was my first solo cruise and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I met other solo cruisers through CC and another social media group for my cruise. We met up within 24 hours of boarding and did many activities together. When I was eating or drinking solo, I would leave a book or pen and paper on the table with a glass of water or coffee while I got my food or drink. Never lost my place. Sometimes I would just ask someone at next table to watch my things. People were very obliging. Have fun.

Edited by Snowgums
  • Like 6

I absolutely love cruising solo.  Advantages are you can do whatever you please when you want to.  No need to consider if your room mate wants to sleep in or eat breakfast.  You can choose to eat when and wherever you choose to, go to whatever activities suit you, keep whatever hours you wish and change your mind about what you want to do at the last minute without worrying about how it affects anyone else.  Enjoy spoiling yourself.

• Like 5

I have been cruising solo for years, it is very freeing. Just know that you can do everything on your time. Have that extra cup of coffee in the dining room, stroll the deck looking at the stars. No worrying about anyone being bored or grumpy. It is all about you, on a lovely holiday at sea

• Like 4