Sailing through the Sounds

luv2ndhalf

I have sailed through Dusky, Doubtful, and Milford Sounds three times and each time the weather was very good and the scenery was beautiful.  The Dusky and Doubtful Sounds were my favorites.  The water was flat calm and served as a mirror for the land that was visible.  The only wildlife that I recall seeing were many sea birds.  Each time, I did not have a balcony, but I did spend much time on deck.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved all the sounds, although Milford was probably my favourite. It has more dramatic scenery and the waterfalls running into the sound are wonderful. Other than seabirds, the only wildlife we saw were seals. We started on our balcony at 6.45am and it was raining and then went on deck for a few hours while with friends and then later in the day back to our cabin, as it was colder and the balcony was more sheltered. You will probably find that it is best to wear layers. I started the day with a few layers, including a thick jacket, a beanie, scarf and gloves. By the middle of the day, I was wearing just jeans and a light top and a cap for the sun. The layers went back on by the middle of the afternoon. 

We were there in mid November. Be prepared for all weather conditions, including rain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In Fiordland, I'm going to be negative. Went through on the Grand Princess and was thoroughly underwhelmed.  The Ships are just too big and the transit from Milford to Dusky created a break which led to getting otherwise occupied.

However, the small boat cruises which I have done in Milford & Doubtful Sounds is fantastic, down at water level and nosing up to waterfalls brings out the best of the scenery. Its a pity that time couldnt be found to offer short 1-2 hour small boat excursions, maybe too many on board to cover? I's happily drop Doubtful/Dusky to fit it in.

In Marlborough I been in and out of Picton on the ferry, beautiful scenery, would be a great introduction to a stop at Picton and tours of the Blenheim.Picton/Nelson region.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had been to Milford Sound a couple of times before, but one time we sailed in on Ovation of the Seas and I think it was the first time for the ship and the captain. It was a beautiful, beautiful day and we actually sailed into a couple of other sounds that were not on the itinerary as the captain was having such a fun time exploring. 

We were mainly on our balcony. A gorgeous day. We saw seals sunning themselves in Milford, and some sea birds. I don't recall seeing anything in the water. 

• Thanks 2

On my  cruise through the Sounds in summer, my memories are being wrapped in a warm blanket from the cabin, drinking hot chocolate.  We were allowed on a front deck normally closed to passengers.  The waterfalls were spectacular.  Watching the people, who did an overnight excursion, return to the ship on a small boat was fascinating.  We saw birds but I don't remember other wildlife.  It was a highlight on the cruise.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

For Milford Sound, it doesn't matter which direction you are coming from as you sail in, turn around at the head of the sound and sail out again. You will see the waterfalls either sailing in or out, depending where on the ship you are viewing from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2