Carnival Share Price

As we cruise Princess a lot I am aware of the shareholder OBC but when the shares were around US $30 - $40 it just wasn't worthwhile.    Now that they are trading under US $7 it will cost less than A $1100 to buy the minimum 100 shares to get the OBC.   As you can receive this on Princess, Carnival, Holland America, Cunard, Seaborn, Costa and P and O Cruises (both UK and Aus), it almost seems a no-brainer if you cruise regularly as the shares could virtually pay for themselves within a couple of years and it's all a plus after that.   For instance a 14 night cruise is $250 OBC (AUD if cruising in Australia and USD if cruising overseas).  Obviously there is the concern that the shares have dropped this low and will they go any lower?   But then part of me thinks that with cruising gradually returning to pre-Covid conditions, and profitability hopefully increasing, the price should start to go back up.   To buy or not to buy.

Buying any shares are a risk.

I'm comfortable with that, and I believe Carnival will swing back as the cruising world returns to normal.

And I'm certainly intending to complete more than 8 14-day plus cruises before I retire from cruising, so win win as far as I'm concerned.😁

18 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

Is there any talk of them axing the shareholder OBC benefit? This would be the only reason I would buy some shares. 

I don't think we would hear of this ahead of time. I feel it is unlikely because a lot of people would sell their shares, causing the share price to drop a bit.

If I didn't have shares (bought when they were much more expensive) I wouldn't hesitate to buy them now.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think we would hear of this ahead of time. I feel it is unlikely because a lot of people would sell their shares, causing the share price to drop a bit.

If I didn't have shares (bought when they were much more expensive) I wouldn't hesitate to buy them now.

Ditto.

They are at $6.7USD at the moment, I am down about 4 grand☹️......but my husband always tells me, you have only lost money if you sell!!

To be honest we have received our money back over the years in OBC, which is why we purchased, who would have thought they would be this low??

• Like 1

Just received confirmation of my first US$100 OBC this morning - pretty happy as I bought the shares just before covid hit.

I believe Carnival Corp are big enough to survive what's left of the pandemic and the financial crisis we're still in.

Only buy shares with money you can accept losing if the worst should happen.

Finally bit the bullet and bought 100 shares this past week. Not a 'share' person but worked out how to buy them and wasn't that hard. $US6.88 so happy with that - just over $1000AUD. Next to no fees to buy and share trading company doesn't have any inactivity fees going forward. Have about ten cruises booked so hopefully pay for themselves in next couple years.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2022 at 10:02 PM, Tripmode33 said:

Finally bit the bullet and bought 100 shares this past week. Not a 'share' person but worked out how to buy them and wasn't that hard. $US6.88 so happy with that - just over $1000AUD. Next to no fees to buy and share trading company doesn't have any inactivity fees going forward. Have about ten cruises booked so hopefully pay for themselves in next couple years.

You did well, we have never bought shares before, however we bought them when they were $14 US so cost us $2300 Australian, however we have just got onboard credit equalling $750 for cruises we currently we have booked so pretty happy about that.

1 hour ago, subaru94 said:

You did well, we have never bought shares before, however we bought them when they were $14 US so cost us $2300 Australian, however we have just got onboard credit equalling $750 for cruises we currently we have booked so pretty happy about that.

Can you please tell me how far ahead you can email to request the shareholder benefit? I will do our November and December cruises now but is it too early for February and May 2023 crises? We have a mix of Princess, Carnival Australia and P&O Australia. Was going to use the same email for all three but request separately. Thanks for advice.

We jumped in a bought shares over the weekend, and I sent the confirmation to the Princess Shareholder Benefits email in the US as we are doing a Hawaii cruise from LA next month.  But now wondering if I should have sent to the Aussie email address???  Help from other's experience please

There are numerous online brokers. The big 4 banks also have a sharetrading platform. Our ANZ recently stopped offering this service so we researched and went with the company ANZ recommended and is changing their customers to. Just make sure that the one you chose has no inactivity fee or dormancy fee if you're not doing other trading like us. Ours don't charge a fee for buying US shares but make their money in a tiny 0.6% exhange rate charge as well as your normal exchange figure. Easy to set up account online. They use your drivers licence or passport as ID. Just enter number. Then we were emailed an ANZ bank account BSB and account number in my name to transfer funds into. Estimate your AUD cost plus a little extra. You can transfer surplus back. Took a day to clear and then you can set up a 'buy' transaction setting a maximum price your willing to pay. They will then buy them during the evening when NY stock exchange opens. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tripmode33 said:

There are numerous online brokers. The big 4 banks also have a sharetrading platform. Our ANZ recently stopped offering this service so we researched and went with the company ANZ recommended and is changing their customers to. Just make sure that the one you chose has no inactivity fee or dormancy fee if you're not doing other trading like us. Ours don't charge a fee for buying US shares but make their money in a tiny 0.6% exhange rate charge as well as your normal exchange figure. Easy to set up account online. They use your drivers licence or passport as ID. Just enter number. Then we were emailed an ANZ bank account BSB and account number in my name to transfer funds into. Estimate your AUD cost plus a little extra. You can transfer surplus back. Took a day to clear and then you can set up a 'buy' transaction setting a maximum price your willing to pay. They will then buy them during the evening when NY stock exchange opens. 

That is a very helpful answer. Better than mine, so I will delete mine.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

That is a very helpful answer. Better than mine, so I will delete mine.

We are absolute beginners in share trading but found it a much easier task than we anticipated. Some of the banks charge a fee but surprised our online firm, one of the largest, did not. We bought them in one name only as had heard that recommended.  There is a simple online form on the share trading website also to lodge online to avoid paying more tax than necessary should they ever pay dividends again.

4 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

Can you please tell me how far ahead you can email to request the shareholder benefit? I will do our November and December cruises now but is it too early for February and May 2023 crises? We have a mix of Princess, Carnival Australia and P&O Australia. Was going to use the same email for all three but request separately. Thanks for advice.

Hi we used the email - shareholderbenefit@carnivalaustralia.com - emailed them a few weeks ago and put in the cruise booking ship and date got an email back within 7 days with all the OBC being applied. Cruises went from November this year through to May next year.