Spirit and Jade on past cruises ... tell me about the Sun ...thanks.

room with a view

13 minutes ago, room with a view said:

Hi, we have been on the Spirit and Jade ...now looking at the Sun.

We loved both ships ...especially the Jade ..will the Sun be different ?

Sun vintage 2000 with refurb last year.  It will be more like Spirit although I like Spirit very much and Sun not so much.   Club suites on Sun best in fleet.  Buffet tiny.

15 minutes ago, room with a view said:

Hi, we have been on the Spirit and Jade ...now looking at the Sun.

We loved both ships ...especially the Jade ..will the Sun be different ?

We have enjoyed cruises on each of those three ships.

Of the three, the Sun was our least favorite because of a few different lay-out issues. (Things such as Dexddd stated above!)  While the Sun is oldest, yet, I don't believe that is one of the factors.

None-the-less, IF the itinerary is WOW, we'd base our decision solely on that factor!!!

I sailed on the Sun last week. The crew is great, the ship is well maintained, but compared to newer ones, beginning to seem small and dated in layout and amenities. Nothing bad though, just not all the new bells and whistles. Big plus is the Great Outdoors area of the buffet, newer ships don't have that and it's the best place to eat!

The only advice I'd give is avoid any cabins aft of the rear stairs/elevator. The ship has some sort of ventilation issue and it stinks. Our aft balcony smelled like sewage most of the time. 

Edited by Shellbelle28

2 minutes ago, room with a view said:

Hi Shellbelle28,

We are deck 10 midships ...hopefully they will have sorted out the smell by December.

It seems a issue on some of the threads .. about time NCL had it rectified !!

We never smelled it forward of the aft elevators, so you're in a good position. It didn't seem to be on 11 or 12 aft, where a lot of the dining is either.

I’ve just canceled my upgrade bid after switching it to an aft penthouse.   I know what it is, it smoke from the funnels, and of course the aft is going to take the brunt of drifting smog.  People keep saying it’s sewage, which is ridiculous.   They could never continue sailing with an unchecked sewage problem.   But it is precisely the kind if diagnosis people would make who have never had to spend a night with funnel stink wafting into their balcony doorwall.  It smells like burning garbage and a thousand ashtrays.  Depending on the wind direction and speed funnel smoke can reach down on to any deck, into any stateroom, for any amount of time.  The aft has to be the area that gets it the most.  Even if the ship is burning so cleanly that you can’t  see it.    It’s incessant.  But it’s not sewage.    

Still.  On a ship as diminutive as the Sun it makes perfect sense that she would have a bigger issue with wafting exhaust present in the aft than on mega ships.  On those, it’s likely that the sun decks and sports areas take the hit.   But with a ship that’s only 848 feet long right down her back makes the most sense.  

5C0B07B7-0C56-4079-8E91-CE7302A07DB8.jpeg

Edited by MotownVoice

4 hours ago, room with a view said:

Hi Shellbelle28,

We are deck 10 midships ...hopefully they will have sorted out the smell by December.

It seems a issue on some of the threads .. about time NCL had it rectified !!

We are on the Sun's transatlantic and many people on our Roll Call are already aboard doing B2B (Seattle to Miami/NYC) and then staying on for the transatlantic to Lisbon.  I specifically asked about the current situation regarding the odor.  The person who posted from the ship today reported that there is no smell now in the areas cited on the previous cruise (aft elevator lobbies and cabins/hallways from the aft elevators to the stern). 

7 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

We are on the Sun's transatlantic and many people on our Roll Call are already aboard doing B2B (Seattle to Miami/NYC) and then staying on for the transatlantic to Lisbon.  I specifically asked about the current situation regarding the odor.  The person who posted from the ship today reported that there is no smell now in the areas cited on the previous cruise (aft elevator lobbies and cabins/hallways from the aft elevators to the stern). 

Well in that case, I’m going to re-initiate my upgrade bid.   

23 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Thanks, Travelling2Some ...that's good positive news.