Jolly Pirates Snorkel Cruise

Connie8

I will be in Aruba on January 18 on the Odyssey and would like to do the Jolly Pirates Snorkel cruise. It starts at 9:00 am we don't dock until 8:00 am. Does anyone know if this is enough time to get off the ship and get to Jolly Pirates? 

I've done this excursion (during a land vacation, not on a cruise). It sucks!!!! Not much seating on the boat. The snorkeling is terrible (literally nothing to see, unless you bring some bread with you to attract a few fish). They take you to a couple spots. The first one is a ship wreck and the water there is so rough, most people don't even bother to get into the water, and for those who do, about half get out pretty quick. 

They play the music way too loud, and it attracts people who are not staying at all-inclusive resorts because they want the free open-bar, so you get a lot of rowdy obnoxious people on there (might be different in the morning with cruise passengers instead of land vacationers).

Last stop is for swinging on the rope off the side of the boat. If you get sea sick, this is the worst part of the excursion, as the boat is rocking back and forth a lot due to the swinging. If you're not swinging off the rope, you're just sitting there being bored. 

I can't believe the excursion gets so many good reviews on trip advisor. It's one of the worst snorkel excursions I've been on in 20 years. The equipment they give people is something you can buy at the dollar store, and the cleanliness is questionable (I was really thankful to have brought my own snorkel and goggles). Your experience could be different.

In my opinion, there's way better excursions to do on that island. The Aruba Trikes tour is fun. Or the ATV tour through ABC Tours. You can visit the Aruba Aloe factory, or the Butterfly place. You can go to Palm Beach and rent a jet ski or parasail. Bring a floatie and just lay in the water, basking in the sun (Palm Beach is one of the best places to do this because the water is so warm and calm).

I've been to the island many times,  and spending the day on the Jolly Pirate ship is the last thing I'd recommend. Absolute last.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

We have done the pirate ship excursions in Barbados and St Lucia.  The one in Barbados was awesome.   We had a really fun day with lots of good snorkeling,  swam with sea turtles too.   

The rope swing on the boat is fun too!

We even had a couple renew their wedding vows onboard.

Aruba is not known for great snorkeling but it should be a fun day.

If this is not a royal excursion, ask the vendor how you get to them from the cruise ship.

Remember docking at 8 am usually means first off ship would probably be 830 am

20 hours ago, Connie8 said:

I will be in Aruba on January 18 on the Odyssey and would like to do the Jolly Pirates Snorkel cruise. It starts at 9:00 am we don't dock until 8:00 am. Does anyone know if this is enough time to get off the ship and get to Jolly Pirates? 

I don't believe you have enough time 😞

• Like 1

You will probably have time to make it, but it will be tight.  We also found the place to pick up the tour difficult to find.

We enjoyed the day, but many of the above comments are also true.  The snorkeling was not good at all; unfortunately true for most places in the Caribbean now.  The seas was not rough the day we were there.  Murky water at the wreck and other site and little sea life to see.

The meal was ok, I enjoyed the rope swinging myself, both watching and doing, and didn't notice it rocking the boat, but I don't normally get sea sick. 

The worst thing about the tour was that the dancing got extremely raunchy--there were children on the boat and It made me uncomfortable.  Also very loud music.  Would we do it again?  Maybe.