MSC Upgrade Question. Is it possible to be assigned a higher level than what you bid on?

Stockjock

7 minutes ago, asalligo said:

You say Bid. Tell me more. 

I think there are quite a few threads on the MSC upgrade program that is offered to some passengers as the sail date approaches.

There are minimum bids on different categories and they may or may not get filled. I’m trying to figure out if it’s possible to be assigned a higher category than what you actually bid on, because of course not every category is always available.

My first guess would be if you bid on a YC interior and someone in a YC interior bid on a YC balcony, they get the balcony, you get the interior, and MSC gets all the money.

Granted I am actually hoping for the same thing as I have a bid in for our Seashore cruise this Saturday and all the interior YCs are booked.  Guess I will find out on Thursday what happens.

Just now, Rewind said:

My first guess would be if you bid on a YC interior and someone in a YC interior bid on a YC balcony, they get the balcony, you get the interior, and MSC gets all the money.

Granted I am actually hoping for the same thing as I have a bid in for our Seashore cruise this Saturday and all the interior YCs are booked.  Guess I will find out on Thursday what happens.

Sailing on 13.10 ... so tomorrow. Bid on a Aurea Balcony. 

Imagine me bidding on an Aurea Balcony ... assigned to a Aurea mini Suite with sealed window... NOOOOOOO Keep that cabin MSC:

Edited by Aeroplex

16 hours ago, Stockjock said:

For example, if you bid on a yacht club interior, is it possible that they assign you a yacht club balcony? Has anyone had this actually happen?

One would think that the cruiseline, should they choose to bump someone, would first upgrade the one's who purchased the YC interior and make them happy, then take the $ to upgrade the bidder to YC YIN and also make them happy.  It doesn't make sense to "skip jump" over the folks who paid in full for the YC YIN.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HipHipOnAShip said:

One would think that the cruiseline, should they choose to bump someone, would first upgrade the one's who purchased the YC interior and make them happy, then take the $ to upgrade the bidder to YC YIN and also make them happy.  It doesn't make sense to "skip jump" over the folks who paid in full for the YC YIN.  

Indeed, that makes perfect sense....

18 minutes ago, Rewind said:

My bid is in "Pending" status - whatever that means.  Maybe I'll find out tomorrow.

Mind also says pending, but not sure if that means anything other than the fact that they've received the bid.

On 10/11/2022 at 1:43 PM, Stockjock said:

For example, if you bid on a yacht club interior, is it possible that they assign you a yacht club balcony? Has anyone had this actually happen?

Yes, I have it twice.

Once I bid on YC deluxe and was given a YC GS on Seashore last December.

On Seaview this past March I had YC inside b2b and was given YC Deluxe without bidding.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Yes, I have it twice.

On Seaview this past March I had YC inside b2b and was given YC Deluxe without bidding.

Maybe they gave the bidder your YC inside.

11 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Yes, I have it twice.

It's because you are MSC's favorite patron and are a walking billboard for the company! 😉

At least that's better than your downgrade debacle!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Heisler123 said:

I’m just wondering about bid upgrades. Do you normally get an email to do a bid? Just curious as we’ve never got a bid upgrade before. 

Yes, you do receive an email showing you what may or may not be available and you can then click through the email for MSC upgrade to see what cabins you may bid on and what the bid ranges are. Of course, you are never guaranteed that you will win your bid, or even that those particular cabins will be available.

I think you have to agree to receive communications and marketing material from MSC and if you did not make that selection, then I’m pretty sure you would not receive an offer to bid for an upgrade.

• Like 1