Platinum Protection Plan: Is it worth contacting HAL about a claim ?

Boatdrill

The cruise was in June 2022.  The last day before disembarkation, HAL's chosen airline went on strike, stranding hundreds of passengers in the

disembarkation port. HAL arranged hotels, a per diem for food, and alternate flights. Many waited for days, while others were able to fly home

after a day or two. Some missed their connecting flights because of the altered schedule,  and had to stay overnight in an airport hotel, and pay out of pocket.   

A claim was made in July with the insurance company, and a claim number received. 

Since then,  no resolution, and now the insurance company says it will take another 30 days for the claim to be reviewed.

"Reviewed", not "resolved".

Is it worth contacting HAL directly about the lengthy delay  ?   Or best to wait it out. 

2 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

The cruise was in June 2022.  The last day before disembarkation, HAL's chosen airline went on strike, stranding hundreds of passengers in the

disembarkation port. HAL arranged hotels, a per diem for food, and alternate flights. Many waited for days, while others were able to fly home

after a day or two. Some missed their connecting flights because of the altered schedule,  and had to stay overnight in an airport hotel, and pay out of pocket.   

A claim was made in July with the insurance company, and a claim number received. 

Since then,  no resolution, and now the insurance company says it will take another 30 days for the claim to be reviewed.

"Reviewed", not "resolved".

Is it worth contacting HAL directly about the lengthy delay  ?   Or best to wait it out. 

What would you think HAL could do to expedite your claim?  Everything has delays today.  I would wait the 30 days then contact the insurance company. 

Your TA or HAL should be handling this, so it looks to me like someone dropped the ball.

We canceled an Oct. cruise through our TA on Aug. 30 using the Platinum Plan.  In addition to her notifying them, I also emailed HAL as requested in the FAQs on their page describing the plan.  We never received any claim number.  When we didn't receive our refund in14 days, I called her and she contacted HAL again.  I also emailed my request to HAL again, and this time I got a personal response from them telling me that the refund should be in my credit card account by 9/30.  It arrived on 9/28.

Unfortunately, it's the squeaky wheel that gets what they paid for...In talking with my TA, she said that unless HAL is nudged, it's out of sight, out of mind.

On 10/14/2022 at 6:45 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

What would you think HAL could do to expedite your claim?  Everything has delays today.  I would wait the 30 days then contact the insurance company. 

Welllll.....I was hoping that since the Platinum Plan was chosen and paid for, that would help to speed up the reimbursement. Just wishful thinking.  🙂 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1

HAL sells a company-branded policy underwritten by Nationwide and administered by Affinity. HAL does not process or pay the claims.

I’m not sure that contacting HAL would make any difference. Try your state insurance commission if the problem persists.

• Like 2

This thread comes at a good time as I was getting ready to post a question about HAL's insurance.   Hope you don't mind it I ask here.

We are thinking of booking a HAL cruise for next spring.  For the first time after multiple cruises, the deposit will not be refunded should we cancel by a certain date, UNLESS, we purchase one of the two protection plans offered by HAL.  Have not cruised since the spring of 2000, so a non-refundable cruise deposit must be something fairly new that the cruise lines are offering.  We have sailed with many cruise lines, including HAL, Celebrity, Princess, etc. and have always been able to get a deposit back.    After seeing this discussion, I am thinking we should purchase our own travel insurance as we have mostly done in the past.  Opinions?

3 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

We are thinking of booking a HAL cruise for next spring.  For the first time after multiple cruises, the deposit will not be refunded should we cancel by a certain date, UNLESS, we purchase one of the two protection plans offered by HAL.  Have not cruised since the spring of 2000, so a non-refundable cruise deposit must be something fairly new that the cruise lines are offering.  We have sailed with many cruise lines, including HAL, Celebrity, Princess, etc. and have always been able to get a deposit back.    After seeing this discussion, I am thinking we should purchase our own travel insurance as we have mostly done in the past.  Opinions?

There are three different choices of booking each cruise, with different prices of each. You will see two of them on the HAL website, and have to call HAL, a PCC, or your TA to get the third. 
The most expensive is the one with whatever Have It All package is being offered at the time. Less expensive is the Advantage Fare, which has no extra goodies, like the Signature Beverage Package, gratuities, Internet, etc. Both of those choices come with refundable deposits. 
The least expensive fare is the Best Price, and is the one with a non-refundable deposit. 

• Like 2

Thank you!  I will look again. 

DH and I had dismissed the Have It All Package because we were not sure it was worth the extra $$.  It did not include gratuities, either.  I had not noticed that with the HIAP option, the deposit is refundable. 😉