Sapphire Beach or Magen's Bay

NRichard10

On 1/5/2023 at 6:48 AM, Work2cruz! said:

We were in St. Thomas last week and went to Megan’s Bay.   It’s a 15.00USD per person each way cab ride.  $5.00 PP entrance fee and a Beer is $5.50.  Chair Rentals are $20.00 each.

Appreciate your posting this information.  Did you have any problems getting a cab from the beach back to your ship (or tender)?   Were there plenty of them waiting at the beach? 

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

No but it was busy. They have a cab station to the right of the beach shops if your looking at the beach.  If they have a lot of ships it can get busy.  We left at 2pm and our ship was leaving at 5:00 pm. There was a Disney Cruise there as well and it was Christmas time so it was busy.  A lot of people left at the same time. When you do get a cab back make sure you tell them what cruise you’re on as there are 2 different docking areas and people are also going to hotels,  so make sure both ways your on the right bus. They have open air cabs as well as vans.  A family ended up on our bus going to the beach but  they wanted to go downtown. (they were not happy)   It can be a bit chaotic at the taxi station.  They’re trying to get as many people on as fast as they can.   

4 minutes ago, Work2cruz! said:

No but it was busy. They have a cab station to the right of the beach shops if your looking at the beach.  If they have a lot of ships it can get busy. . . .

Thanks so much for your quick and helpful reply!

We're docking in St. Thomas later this month.  Port web sites show only two other (and fairly small) ships that day.  Seems odd for the winter, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they are correct!

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

We're docking in St. Thomas later this month.  Port web sites show only two other (and fairly small) ships that day.  Seems odd for the winter, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they are correct!

Thanks again!

No Problem. Glad I could help

17 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks again!

Yes indeed, sounds like you are luckier than most! Magens will still be a very busy beach of course since it is the most recommended by the cruise ship directors, drivers, etc…

Are you interested in snorkeling or just relaxing? Hope you don’t mind my suggestion, but I’d consider Sapphire, or even Secret Harbor if you arrive early enough. Both offer decent snorkeling, although Sapphire adds the gorgeous water colors and nice island views for us beach bums too!

Enjoy your visit! 😄

22 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Yes indeed, sounds like you are luckier than most! Magens will still be a very busy beach of course since it is the most recommended by the cruise ship directors, drivers, etc…

Are you interested in snorkeling or just relaxing? Hope you don’t mind my suggestion, but I’d consider Sapphire, or even Secret Harbor if you arrive early enough. Both offer decent snorkeling, although Sapphire adds the gorgeous water colors and nice island views for us beach bums too!

Enjoy your visit! 😄

Thanks, I appreciate your chiming in!

We won't be snorkeling on this trip.  As for a relaxing beach day, I'd been reading up on Sapphire as well, but it sounds like the water can sometimes be rough.  Comments?

Unfortunately, we don't dock till 12pm, so we won't be getting to any beach early.  (In port till 8pm.)

Sapphire isn't a protected beach like Magens, Coki, and Secret Harbor so the water can be rougher there when the other beaches are calmer. It doesn't happen very often, though. I don't know why the bar doesn't have a good beach cam.🤔

• Thanks 1

@Turtles06 following this thread, I am in the same boat as you (no pun intended) we dock at noon. Sapphire is one of my favorite spot in the Caribbean's, super chill spot. I am not a big fan of laying on a towel either like at Magen's. What are my other options? We could stay on the ship but kinda want to get out a bit... 

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks, I appreciate your chiming in!

We won't be snorkeling on this trip.  As for a relaxing beach day, I'd been reading up on Sapphire as well, but it sounds like the water can sometimes be rough.  Comments?

Unfortunately, we don't dock till 12pm, so we won't be getting to any beach early.  (In port till 8pm.)

Yes Sapphire can be quite rough with sea swells from storms, we did experience that once while staying there. Most days we’ve seen it calm…

One option for your late arrival may be Secret Harbour, you can inquire at AADivers three to see if they will reserve lounges/umbrellas and a spot to sit…Nice beach with dead calm water. But Sapphire is our beach if choice since we don’t snorkel much and we just want the nice beach and views…
And the cruise line’s “Secret Sands” excursion to Smith Bay may be another option for your late arrival…

Wherever you find your spot enjoy!

8 hours ago, blue_water said:

And the cruise line’s “Secret Sands” excursion to Smith Bay may be another option for your late arrival…

Wherever you find your spot enjoy!

Any beach bars on Smith Bay?

Is there much to the Coral World Ocean Park there?  Or is this the same Coral World as at Coki?

Edited by sft429
added question

Last I knew no, just restrooms, but we haven’t been in some time so I’m sure others can answer…
Lindqvist Beach (Smith Bay Park) is arguably the nicest beach, at least in my opinion. We might consider stopping at Moe’s Market in Red Hook (or a store near the dock) and grab a porta-cooler, drinks, and nice subs and find a quiet spot to enjoy the beach on our towels! Not sure what time the beach closes though…

CW is next to Coki beach…

STT is a ripoff in my opinion. Used to be favorite but we were there this week. $15 pp each way for taxi to Magens bay $5 pp entry fee and $20 per chair. Way to crowded and not near as pretty as it used to be.  We want to do a taxi tour around island with stop at beach. They said $500 for us. Um no. I could get Godfrey for like $50pp. I did not book that cause we too got in a noon and their tours started at 10. Just buyer beware

• Like 1

Many taxis offer tours similar to Godfrey and at similar prices but are not named in any/many forums.

I watched a YouTube video "Does St Thomas have the BEST BEACH in the WORLD" by EECC Travels and they used Ivan and highly recommended him. He can be reached at 340 643 6963, and here's a review I found when I googled him.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147404-d3487989-r782540080-Island_Time_Tours_Private_Tours-St_Thomas_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html

• 1 month later...