Verandah/Signature/Neptune

regan3

On 10/21/2022 at 4:07 PM, regan3 said:

Is it worth the cost to upgrade from a verandah stateroom to a Signature Suite or a Neptune Suite? It would be for a seven-night cruise.

Is there that much of a difference in room size, amenities, etc. to justify the additional cost?

The Signature Suite has more space than the verandah cabin, but not much in additional perks.  The Neptune has more space and some nice perks.  We started with Oceanviews, moved to a few Verandahs, and have had the good fortune to get reasonably-priced paid upsells to Signatures and Neptunes. 

We have moved backed to booking Oceanviews, having learned we don't use the verandah enough to justify the price difference.  We would very likely take a reasonably-priced paid upsell to a Nepture if offered for the additional space, the complimentary dry cleaning 😉 and to have access to the Neptune Lounge.

We have figured out we care more about the ports and the ocean than we care about the accommodation and perks. So my question to you is, what component(s) do you care about most?  IMHO that's where to start in making your decision about whether to change to a higher category.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 11:29 PM, zgscl said:

I absolutely love the Neptune Suites. They are very dangerous though, once you upgrade you will not want to go back. About 10 years ago we did our first cruise in a Neptune, at the time I traveled with my mom & great aunt and we found the balcony cabin was just too cramped for us. We surprised my great aunt with the Neptune - she took one look at the dressing room and said "never again in a cabin." She was right, we have not once gone back. 

Beyond the space, upgrading to a Neptune is a very big upgrade in terms of amenities and treatment onboard. You get all the Club Orange perks included (and get to dine in the CO if you are on a Pinnacle class ship or have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill on all other classes - I actually prefer the Pinnacle Breakfast to the CO one). The Neptune concierges are all wonderful. There are many things the front desk or other departments have said no to that the concierge was able to get turned into a yes for us. A few small examples of things they have done above and beyond for us over the years

• Back when they had the DVDs still they were required to be turned in 24 hours before final disembarkation for inventory. After being informed of this we asked the concierge and they personally went and got us a DVD so we could watch a movie while we were packing.
  • Somehow on every cruise with fixed seating we always end up with a terrible table - either crammed in the former orchestra pit which is half way between decks so you can only see peoples feet while eating, or in a corner where there are no windows and all we can see is a bus station. Even when the Maitre 'd has said there is no room, the concierge has been able to get us either a much better window table, or a fixed reservation in open seating for the duration of the cruise with the same waiters (which is the main reason we like fixed seating). 
  • They have handled many billing issues, shore excursion cancellations and rebooks as well as specialty dining reservations. You never need to wait in line at the front desk, you can stop by or call the concierge and they will take care of everything - if it is something another department needs to fix they will take care of making sure it happens so you can just get back to enjoying your vacation. 
  • We have rented a wheel chair for my mom or great aunt on several cruises. On two occasions the wheel chair was broken. Unfortunately there is a very dumb policy that HAL is not permitted to switch a broken chair out with one of their stock (from the same 3rd party company, mind you) without the approval from the company. The concierge has taken care of calling the company and harassing them to get the needed approvals and coordinated with housekeeping to have the fixed chair delivered. 
  • When luggage direct is not available, the concierge has been able to print boarding passes for us at 24 hours prior to our flight. 
  • On one very special occasion they arranged a bridge tour for me with a small group of folks when they learned how interested I was. 

Additionally the Neptune suite is larger & we have found that we spend much more time in our cabin & balcony with the extra space (bonus points for an aft wrap balcony). The Neptune Lounge is also a great place to grab a cup of coffee or snack during the day, and the concierge can arrange tea or canapés in your suite as well.  

I would absolutely upgrade to a Neptune over a Signature for ~1,300 but I also exclusively book Neptunes on HAL so take that with a grain of salt. 

This poster is absolutely right - once you do a Neptune (or Business Air for that matter) it is very hard to go back.  We love the Neptune Lounge and find it a great place to be out of the cabin, chatting with new friends, but private with food and booze available right there.  The concierge teams are wonderful and having that service is priceless if there are any issues.   The Signature cabins look great, but every time we think about booking one I whine at not having access to the Neptune Lounge.

• Like 2

That's how my husband feels. He is not happy that the Signature Class stateroom offers no perks.  On Celebrity, we received a few perks, like specialty dining, while staying in their Sky Suites.   They are actually smaller than the Signature Suite.

Once we did Business Class, he did not want to fly anything else.  Well I have news for him...we don't have that luxury anymore if we want to keep flying.  The BC is too high for multiple trips a year.!

If you intend on being a long term cruiser and to gain status in the Mariner Society, go for the Signature or Neptune Suite.

We have in Vista, Signature, and Neptune Suites. But are currently aboard an MSC cruise in the Mediterranean and in the Yacht Club experience. Unbelievable how good the service that is provided! Hopefully they continue to expand into other markets.

Edited by Heartgrove

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

We have in Vista, Signature, and Neptune Suites. But are currently aboard an MSC cruise in the Mediterranean and in the Yacht Club experience. Unbelievable how good the service that is provided! Hopefully they continue to expand into other markets.

MSC is going to eat "HAL's lunch" for those of us who enjoy the Yacht Club experience if they don't make major changes to their upper level accommodations.  

Nothing wrong with the Neptune Suite experience whatsoever.  It is good for what it it is.  But, it does not well compare with the MSC Yacht Club guest experience.  

We’re looking at possibly booking our first HAL cruise next year, for an Alaskan cruise. What are the perks you get with a Pinnacle or Neptune Suite? Looks like a special lounge, a concierge to run interference for you, bigger room. Are drinks included, and WiFi? More speciality dining?

Thanks in advance!

14 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

We’re looking at possibly booking our first HAL cruise next year, for an Alaskan cruise. What are the perks you get with a Pinnacle or Neptune Suite? Looks like a special lounge, a concierge to run interference for you, bigger room. Are drinks included, and WiFi? More speciality dining?

Thanks in advance!

WiFi and drinks not included, except at the welcome aboard cocktail party. From the HAL website:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/suites-staterooms.html

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

MSC is going to eat "HAL's lunch" for those of us who enjoy the Yacht Club experience if they don't make major changes to their upper level accommodations.  

Nothing wrong with the Neptune Suite experience whatsoever.  It is good for what it it is.  But, it does not well compare with the MSC Yacht Club guest experience.  

I didn't want to be so blunt but you are correct. I just wonder if the service on the MSC USA sailings is the same as the MSC European sailings. On our cruise there are few if any other Americans as the passengers appear to be mainly French and Italian. We appear to be a novelty to the crew.

MSC also appears to staff the ship, in Yacht Club at least, with quite a number of crew for only 100-150 passengers. I paid less less than $4K for a 7-night cruise in YC. Everything is included (best drink package, minibar, WiFi, priority boarding at all ports, concierge, Butler besides room stewards). 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 12:26 PM, Iamthesea said:

That's how my husband feels. He is not happy that the Signature Class stateroom offers no perks.  On Celebrity, we received a few perks, like specialty dining, while staying in their Sky Suites.   They are actually smaller than the Signature Suite.

Once we did Business Class, he did not want to fly anything else.  Well I have news for him...we don't have that luxury anymore if we want to keep flying.  The BC is too high for multiple trips a year.!

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Being a guest in a Pinnacle or Neptune Suite will allow one to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.  Maybe, the Club Orange Restaurant, if one exists?  

Yup, Flight Ease used to be considerably cheaper for BC air - our trip to SA/Antarctica is was actually a few dollar more than buying on Google Air - booked Flight Ease for the protection we'd get with our HAL protection plan.

I also think the perk of being able to eat breakfast in the Pinnacle is a treat.  I hate how long it takes to get bfst in the main dining room.  I am just as happy with Lido, but if you want a sit down and have someone wait on you, Pinnacle is hands down better than MDR.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tucson Traveler said:

Yup, Flight Ease used to be considerably cheaper for BC air - our trip to SA/Antarctica is was actually a few dollar more than buying on Google Air - booked Flight Ease for the protection we'd get with our HAL protection plan.

I also think the perk of being able to eat breakfast in the Pinnacle is a treat.  I hate how long it takes to get bfst in the main dining room.  I am just as happy with Lido, but if you want a sit down and have someone wait on you, Pinnacle is hands down better than MDR.

We got very spoiled very quickly with our Pinnacle Grill breakfasts.  We tend to enjoy the same *large* breakfast most mornings when we stay in some places, and our NCL cruise was one of those.  So each morning, the same cheerful face soon knew to ask, "The regular?" 🙂  And we had some mimosas in no time at all (plus refills galore), and then in short order, our breakfast, in "courses".  Heh.  That got us through the rest of the day when we were out and around...

That was our first cruise with HAL and alas, also thus far our last.  We returned home in December, 2019, and then the travel curtains closed... We had to cancel the reservations we had made when on board. 😞 

We had a great time, and found the Neptune suite wonderful.  We usually have suites that are a bit larger, but the setup worked very well, and it was extremely comfortable.

We also like to see outside from the bed when on a cruise, so some of the larger suites (on HAL and elsewhere) don't work for us, because there is a separate "bedroom", enclosed by walls.  At home, yes.  On a cruise... nope, not for us. 😉 

We can't wait to return.

GC