Opinions on Mexican Riviera (Koningsdam vs. Bliss)

PACD_JG

I'm narrowing down Spring Break 2024 plans, and I'm a noob to cruising.  I have been on the Koningsdam and I enjoyed it.  However, I like the idea of a ship as a floating hotel that takes you to places not worth more than a day versus the idea of being out on the water.  HAL's Mexican Riviera cruise goes to three ports (Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta) and has three sea days.  NCL's cruise goes to four ports (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Ensenada) and only has two sea days.  Since NCL is actually travelling farther (San Pedro vs. San Diego)...why does HAL only visit three ports?  Does anybody really need 12 hours in Puerto Vallarta (HAL)?  What would I miss out on if I chose NCL?  TIA.

• Like 1

Puerto Vallarta is my favorite by far of the Mexican Riviera ports!  We were just there for only 8 hours and didn’t seem enough. I love leaving in the evening from there. Ensenada?  I would stay onboard myself for that one and make a “sea day” out of it!  My vote goes to the longer PV itinerary!  I haven’t been on NCL so no info on cruise line difference there.    ~Nancy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PACD_JG said:

I'm narrowing down Spring Break 2024 plans, and I'm a noob to cruising.  I have been on the Koningsdam and I enjoyed it.  However, I like the idea of a ship as a floating hotel.... Does anybody really need 12 hours in Puerto Vallarta (HAL)?  What would I miss out on if I chose NCL?  TIA.

My one NCL cruise (on the older smaller N.Star) will remain my one NCL cruise. It was ghastly. If a line can't maintain all of its ships to a minimum standard AND keep their crew happy enough to be pleasant to pax, why would I spend my money to give them another chance?

Ensenada is a perfunctory stop as far as I am concerned. I read you can get a massage there? As far as the PV 12-hr visit, most people complain of too short port-times, not the other way. NCL can't spend as long in ports because they have to cover that longer distance somehow.

Finally, the K'dam *is* a floating hotel. I haven't stayed in too many (basically no) hotels with four specialty restaurants plus a free multi-course dining room and a buffet, and a Music Walk to please most tastes...

• Like 3

From what I’ve read, the Bliss is an experience in itself.  You might enjoy the adventure on the big ship.  Ensenada is usually the  required “near foreign port” for Pacific Coast cruises.  I’m surprised it is on the itinerary as it is not required on this itinerary.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

My one NCL cruise (on the older smaller N.Star) will remain my one NCL cruise. It was ghastly. If a line can't maintain all of its ships to a minimum standard AND keep their crew happy enough to be pleasant to pax, why would I spend my money to give them another chance?

really if you have not been on the Bliss or Encore, then you can not say that K dam is better.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

really if you have not been on the Bliss or Encore, then you can not say that K dam is better.

I don't believe I said it was better. I said it is big enough to have multiple venues. I guess the Bliss and Encore are the ones I hear about having amusement park rides, miniature golf, and rock-climbing walls? 

ETA: that is not a hotel, it is a theme park. NOT where I choose to spend my vacations on land or water.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2

Re: NCL and theme parks...I'm strictly considering them because of itinerary and price.  Unless the go-karts, roller coasters, water slides, arcades are included in the fare, we wouldn't bother.  And tbh, I'm only considering these cruises because I know I won't see Maui prices drop to 2019 levels.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bozemanman said:

Just go on the Bliss...sound's like your style...NOT mine BTW

You really shouldn't comment if you've never been on it. We mostly only sail HAL and Celebrity but really enjoyed the Bliss.

3 hours ago, opa&oma said:

You really shouldn't comment if you've never been on it. We mostly only sail HAL and Celebrity but really enjoyed the Bliss.

Ummm....All the new ships are too big for me...I think I can comment on MY choice...it's not yours! I am personally moving away from HAL as they are going too big as well. I will just cruise less often on more expensive smaller lines.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bozemanman said:

Just go on the Bliss...sound's like your style...NOT mine BTW

I'm not sure what I actually wrote defined my style.  I'm very intolerant of people in general, especially those who can't use apostrophes correctly, so I was assuming the Koningsdam would be more my style (less pax than the Bliss).

On 10/22/2022 at 12:45 PM, PACD_JG said:

However, I like the idea of a ship as a floating hotel that takes you to places not worth more than a day versus the idea of being out on the water. 

...This is where I got it from, sorry if I jumped to conclusions. ...and sorry you are soooo "intolerant". People sure seem to like flaming me.