Prescription Drugs long journeys

Lonedaddy

Going on a long cruise originating in Auckland NZ ends in Bali and a layover in Singapore.  DW has some prescription drugs requiring approval from the various governments.  Don't think Australia will be an issue since we won't carry any off the ship.  Bali and Singapore require approval and she can have up to 1 month supply.  However, NZ is the issue as she will be coming in with supply for the 45 days we are gone.   So, if NZ won't approve that what are the other options.  For instance can you send the supply to Regent and have them hold them with the ships doctor or nurse?  Surely people on Grand voyages and WC have a need for medications on these longer voyages, how do they get them?

We were on the WC2017 and are going again in 2023. All of my medications are in pill form. I had to get a vacation override to get my full supply before we left in January, 2017. I assume Ill have to do the same for this January, although I added a few more medications since 2017!

• Like 1

Just curious, Why would any government deny a medication that is deemed necessary for your health. Or for that matter ,even care. Unless it is a controlled substance.

As Brownie 54 stated, I have  also  taken several months worth of necessary medication on extended cruises. It’s nobody’s business .

2 minutes ago, bayonejoe said:

Just curious, Why would any government deny a medication that is deemed necessary for your health. Or for that matter ,even care. Unless it is a controlled substance.

As Brownie 54 stated, I have  also  taken several months worth of necessary medication on extended cruises. It’s nobody’s business .

One is schedule B the other schedule C, Hopefully with a doctors note it will be approved with vacation override.  Laws are made for the worst of society.

Edited by Lonedaddy

Bali (Indonesia) has extremely strict drug laws. You cannot get pre-approval for sleeping pills or anxiety meds or anti-depression meds. Don't even try. Better to walk through and, if you get searched, produce a doctors letter with copies of the prescriptions and pay the "cash fine". Don't bother with NZ/Singapore/etc...just bring doctor's note and pills in original containers. I bring whatever I need and I n130+ countries the only one I ever had a concern over was Indonesia.

PS - If you are asking about the insurance companies, they will typical do a 90 day supply. For longer cruises, your doctor will write a note and the pharmacy will fill for whatever you need - even if insurance won't cover it all.

Edited by Pcardad

Actually since most people are on sustaining mes with 90 day supply there are ways to get enough for a long trip without paying extra is simply tell the pharmacist you are going on a long tand they can then give you a new 90 day supply.

Also you don't have to wait for 90 days to refill.  Have never had problems with refills ordering the refills after approx. 60 days so starting early you can get quite a supply to complete your trip. 

Depends what drug it is...some they are not allowed to refill within a certain time frame by state law. Best to discuss with your doctor and insurance company if you are going for more than 90 days. You can always have them filled while you are away by a family member and shipped out...I've done that for people before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Bali (Indonesia) has extremely strict drug laws. You cannot get pre-approval for sleeping pills or anxiety meds or anti-depression meds. Don't even try. Better to walk through and, if you get searched, produce a doctors letter with copies of the prescriptions and pay the "cash fine". Don't bother with NZ/Singapore/etc...just bring doctor's note and pills in original containers. I bring whatever I need and I n130+ countries the only one I ever had a concern over was Indonesia.

good input hopefully coming off the cruise ship will be easier than flying into indonesia

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

PS - If you are asking about the insurance companies, they will typical do a 90 day supply. For longer cruises, your doctor will write a note and the pharmacy will fill for whatever you need - even if insurance won't cover it all.

No, we usually can get the 90 days supply since we live in Belize most of the time and one of us goes back every 90 days or so.  Usually only issue is the hydro.

5 hours ago, rallydave said:

Actually since most people are on sustaining mes with 90 day supply there are ways to get enough for a long trip without paying extra is simply tell the pharmacist you are going on a long tand they can then give you a new 90 day supply.

Also you don't have to wait for 90 days to refill.  Have never had problems with refills ordering the refills after approx. 60 days so starting early you can get quite a supply to complete your trip.