Flights on disembarkation

pmjnh

Believe it or not we have never flown out on the same day as disembarkation.

Disembarking on a Saturday in FLL, with 6 ships in port, what is the earliest time advised to safely book a flight .

Also, I always book my own, but in this case are we better off if HAL books the flight?

Thanks

15 minutes ago, pmjnh said:

Disembarking on a Saturday in FLL, with 6 ships in port, what is the earliest time advised to safely book a flight .

Also, I always book my own, but in this case are we better off if HAL books the flight?

Thanks

You asked this on the Florida board...the best place...and got a number of answers. Its about ground logistics.

The only way you know if booking through HAL is a better deal is to check the prices available both ways. People think booking through the cruise line guarantees or protects them somehow...it doesn't. The cruise line will likely book you a little later in order to protect their rep as providing "safe" flights. But they also may book less desirable routes because they can get them cheaper.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You asked this on the Florida board...the best place...and got a number of answers. Its about ground logistics.

The only way you know if booking through HAL is a better deal is to check the prices available both ways. People think booking through the cruise line guarantees or protects them somehow...it doesn't. The cruise line will likely book you a little later in order to protect their rep as providing "safe" flights. But they also may book less desirable routes because they can get them cheaper.

Yes, thank you. i asked here because I thought i should be more specific to HAL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmjnh said:

Thanks

We have only flown in and out day off (I can hear people on this board gasp)  and have booked both with and without Flightease this last year (3 cruises). For the case where we booked without, we just used Flightease as a guide for acceptable arrival and departure windows.

I think for Fort Lauderdale the cutoff was for 11:00 flight departures, so that would be my rule of thumb when booking independently.

• Thanks 2

We've dis-embarked at Port Everglades many times and always make the 8:50am northbound Amtrak train departing Fort Lauderdale w/plenty of time to warm the bench.

Agree with above....11am flight or later and you are good to go without stress.

(And we base this on always doing early-disembarkation...love that)

• Like 1

We have found that if we want one-way tickets, Flight Ease can get better prices (we would be flying back to Canada), and we also like that if we book with Flight Ease, the flights are insured along with the cruise.  For our cruises in December, though, we found we could do it better ourselves, Flight Ease was pretty useless, and we will just self-insure!

Gasp! Just kidding. If we fly into or out of Florida, we always do it a few days before and/or after cruise dates. That is because we live near Seattle and have lots of family and friends in Florida that we like to visit. If we are going to NYC, the same is true. If we are going to a port in another country (Rome, Barcelona, Southampton, et al), we book a flight for as much as three weeks earlier or later so that we can visit other countries.

Jim

Check which ships are in port discharging passengers.   I once was there with a 6000 pax behemoth and a variety of other large cruise ships.  The Koningsdam was the runt.  I mosied to the airport at 11 for a 1 pm flight and almost missed my flight.  The line for southwest was 2 blocks long outside of the terminal.  Thanks to many very friendly pax and TSA pre check I was quickly at the front of the line and made it on to my flight. 

I can’t imagine the melee at 9:30.