Renewal of passport for teenager under 16?

kchobbs

Our family has a cruise booked out of Fort Lauderdale on Princess for a 10 day Caribbean cruise. Looking at our passports we discovered that our 15 year old daughters' passport expires at the end of Feb 2023 which will be within the 6 month rule. Our cruise departs Dec 19 and I am a bit worried that if I go in to apply for a new passport, handing in her old one, that there may be some delays of getting her a new passport before we leave.

In searching the requirements for passports for Canadians entering the US, I see a note for those under 16; 

Canadian citizens aged 15 years and under entering the United States by land or water require one of the following documents:

• a passport
  • an original or a copy of a birth certificate
  • an original Canadian citizenship certificate
  •  

From my interpretation of this, if they question us about the 6 month rule for her passport  then as long as we have an original copy of her birth certificate we should be fine.

Next question is in regards to all of the ports that we enter if we risk the chance of using her existing passport.  Will I have to look up the rules for each of the countries we enter to see if they have the 6 month rule in effect or if they are like the US and have different rules for those under 16? I have no problem getting a new passport for her but don't need the stress of it somehow getting bogged down in the system.

FYI, we are located in Edmonton, Alberta.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I think you have to check each Port for the rules

Can you go to a passport office in your area & get  the new passport  application started ?

I have started filling out the application, will get the photos done, but once I take it in, you hand over the old passport. The web site indicates 20 business days plus mailing time to process the application. Knowing this, it will not be returned to us until first week of December and we plan on flying out Dec 18. If there are any complications or delays I would almost rather keep her existing passport and hope there are no issues using it than risk not having the passport arrive in the mail before our flight.

10 minutes ago, kchobbs said:

I have started filling out the application, will get the photos done, but once I take it in, you hand over the old passport. The web site indicates 20 business days plus mailing time to process the application. Knowing this, it will not be returned to us until first week of December and we plan on flying out Dec 18. If there are any complications or delays I would almost rather keep her existing passport and hope there are no issues using it than risk not having the passport arrive in the mail before our flight.

There is a Passport Office in Edmonton. It is supposed to have express pickup. For $50 one is supposed to be able to pick up the new passport in 10 days. It must be picked up, not mailed and the application has to be submitted in person.

8 hours ago, kchobbs said:

Do not mail it 

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/child-passport/3-45days.html

#4  go to the  WALK IN information link  I would  ask for the Express pick up

While a number of the ports you will be visiting only require the passport to be valid for the duration of your visit, the Bahamas require the passport to be valid for 6 months beyond your date of intended departure.  A passport renewal is your only option.

I agree with the express pickup with proof of travel plans. My partner applied for his children’s passports in April for an August trip to Europe. It’s now November and he still doesn’t have the passports (mailed in).

If things haven’t changed, you could DRIVE into the US with her birth certificate but not fly in. 

1 hour ago, MomIsTheBoss said:

I agree with the express pickup with proof of travel plans. My partner applied for his children’s passports in April for an August trip to Europe. It’s now November and he still doesn’t have the passports (mailed in).

If things haven’t changed, you could DRIVE into the US with her birth certificate but not fly in. 

The problem isn't entering the US by air. That only requires a passport valid until the end of your trip. The problem is that they are taking a cruise which will require a longer passport validity.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:16 PM, kchobbs said:

Next question is in regards to all of the ports that we enter if we risk the chance of using her existing passport.  Will I have to look up the rules for each of the countries we enter to see if they have the 6 month rule in effect or if they are like the US and have different rules for those under 16? I have no problem getting a new passport for her but don't need the stress of it somehow getting bogged down in the system.

I would check to see if the passport office in Edmonton posts wait times or if you can book an appointment time.

Our son & his GF went to Georgia this summer and the GF needed her passport renewed. She is a procrastinator. She ended up taking a day off school (University) and waiting in line about an hour before the office opened and handed in her application with her original ID. She took a copy of the hotel booking with her to prove that she had travel plans. Which the Agent told her helped with the process.

She was going to pay extra for the expedited but the Agent told her she didn't need to as it should arrive with in 21 days. She was told that if it didn't arrive by a specific date to bring in her reciept and they could push it through so that she would get it in time. She had her new passport in 16 days.

Fill out the online application and take it to the office. If you do it online or mail it in, it could take months. Another option would be to contact Princess and ask them how strict the 6 month policy is. Went to Cuba last December with friends and one of them's passport was expiring mid March and it wasn't an issue.

Hope this helps

5 hours ago, MomIsTheBoss said:

I agree with the express pickup with proof of travel plans. My partner applied for his children’s passports in April for an August trip to Europe. It’s now November and he still doesn’t have the passports (mailed in)

My spouse's co-worker had the same issue with his 18 month old. Applied by mail in January for a mid June trip. Had to cancel but had trip insurance. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I thought I would give an update. I did go to the passport office in Edmonton. Brought in all necessary documents and new photos and explained we were flying out in third week of December. I was told that they are not as backlogged as they were a few months back and that I should receive my passport in the mail by early December. They also gave me a reference number and a phone number to call in the event it does not arrive after the first week in December.

other than waiting in various lines for about 2 hours, I am glad I proceeded to get this done rather than risking my daughter being refused entry at some port.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2